Forums

Don’t neglect alignment

Don’t neglect alignment

I had a unpleasant surprise when I took my 1 year old M3 in for tires and found that they were unevenly worn due to being out of alignment. The backs were out way more than the fronts. I was so happy with avoiding oil changes and such that I didn’t think about alignment.

spuzzz123 | December 5, 2019

Did you avoid rotations/balancing? I don’t think alignments should be necessary in a 1 year old M3 unless you hit something like a pothole to knock it out of alignment.

andy.connor.e | December 5, 2019

If you go over rough roads, potholes or just alot of bumps all the time, you should do alignments regularly. You either pay for alignments, or you pay for it with your tires. One way or another you're paying.

hokiegir1 | December 5, 2019

Alignment also has an impact on AP performance.

Bighorn | December 5, 2019

Or keep a close eye on tire wear.

Moreso because alignment is not always a straightforward process

dwejr99 | December 5, 2019

I see what you did there bighorn.

dwejr99 | December 5, 2019

Also, my car drives straight as an arrow after 33k miles. Tires wear evenly. And I've broken 2 rims on potholes. Weird.

raqball | December 5, 2019

So is it true (there was a debate in another thread a while back) that Tesla should do the alignment because of the cameras?

Joshan | December 5, 2019

I am still trying to Figure out what a Hairy Piano is

Wheel alignment has no bearing on the cameras that I can conjure. Alignment is challenging as evidenced by many complaints of off center steering wheels.

raqball | December 5, 2019

Wheel alignment has no bearing on the cameras that I can conjure. Alignment is challenging as evidenced by many complaints of off center steering wheels.
----------------
Okay, thanks.. The topic came up a while back as I posted about Firestone lifetime alignment deal. I think it's like $175 for lifetime alignment service.

The debate went on and some said Tesla has to do it because of the cameras..

M3phan | December 5, 2019

@ Joshan, so you’re on a hirsute pursuit?

@joshan
I trust you’ve checked urban dictionary. For boomers in need of hip replacement.

HairyPiano | December 5, 2019

I had my tires rotated at 6500 miles twice but went 12k before I discovered the problem. 90% smooth hiway driving.