Forums

Old level 2 Charger Not Working Properly

Old level 2 Charger Not Working Properly

I took my old 240v plug in level 2 charger, that I used for my Ford Fusion Energi, from home and installed it at work to charge my model 3.
The car keeps stopping and starting charging.
It has been like this since I installed it 4 weeks ago.
The car eventually charges. It is just a pain in the ass hearing the phone notify me of the stop and start of charging. I know I could just shut the notifications.
I think the reason the charge keeps stopping and starting is because I have dirty voltage at work. My voltage will drop as low as 190 and never get higher that 203. I am assuming the car is protecting itself from the voltage fluctuations.

It is a long story about where I got the voltage from. Lol. And a LONG way away.
As fas as Amperage goes, I am unlimited, so dont even ask. Lmao. Like I said, LONG STORY.

I guess, my question is...Is there anything I could do to settings in the car to stop this from happening?

I have tried something different every day.
1. Start charging now
2. Start charging at certain time.
3. Have car ready By certain time
4. Have car ready at certain time with temp controls
5. Have car ready at certain time without a temp control.
6. Sentry on, while doing all the above
7. Sentry off while doing all the above.

I guess I will just have to deal with it. I cabt complain while collecting free electrons. By the why, I am in America. Northeast.

bp | December 10, 2019

It might be worth a shot to configure a lower charge rate (amps) and see if that gets you going. If so, the car will remember that rate by location so you won’t have to keep setting it.

Joshan | December 10, 2019

I would be worried about risking the warranty on my battery using that thing. The battery is the most expensive part to replace.

I would be worried about risking the warranty on my battery using that thing. The battery is the most expensive part to replace.

bjrosen | December 10, 2019

There is something wrong with your wiring, the voltage should never be dropping to 190V.

Devilstower | December 10, 2019

First, I would check to see that the circuit is properly grounded, because a bad ground connection can certainly cause the kind of behavior you're seeing.

But if it's just a matter of extremely dirty power ... Is the plug you're using indoors? If so, have you thought about a voltage conditioner?

I had a treadmill in my house that seemed particular sensitive to the kind of jagged, and erratic power we receive. It would frequently shut down mid workout, and even with a surge protector we replaced the main board three times. Finally I bought a UBS with a nice sine-wave conditioner built in and plugged the treadmill in through that. Nary a hiccup since.

Pg3ibew | December 10, 2019

Let me clarify. I am an electrician for 35 years. Lol. I know exactly qhat the problem on my end is. As far as voltage. And grounding. And all that. Lol.

I am more concerned about the car.

bp | December 10, 2019

I knew you were an electrician, which is why I have no comments on your power source, but I am curious to know if lowering the draw rate from the car side makes a difference.

@bp. I will give rhat a try tomorrow. Thanks. Now, explain how I lower the draw rate. Lmao

in the car you can set it on the battery page.

Frank99 | December 10, 2019

So first of all, I'll guess from your username that you're competent with electricity (PGE = Pacific Gas and Electric, ibew = International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers?).
Being at work, your source of electricity is probably 208V, so 203V isn't a big deal. If it's dirty, as BP said the car is probably shutting off charging. No harm to the battery or charger - it's just trying to keep your house from burning down.
When you plug in, on the charging window that pops up, in the lower left corner there's a control to change the charging current. I give you a 50/50 chance that lowering that down to, say, 16A or so will solve your problems. It'll reduce voltage drop on the circuit, but it won't solve voltage dropouts at the source.

bjrosen | December 10, 2019

You have a massive voltage drop, you need to identify where it's occurring. Have you measured the voltage at the box, the input to the EVSE and the output of the EVSE? If it's normal at the output of the EVSE then I'd call Tesla service. If the drop was occurring between the the box and the input of the EVSE then your house would have burned down by now so it's probably not that, but I'd check anyway. The same goes for the EVSE, if you had a 50V drop across the EVSE I would expect that it would have caught fire also, but check. If I were a betting man I'd say that the problem is the power coming into your house.

Magic 8 Ball | December 10, 2019

I will take the bet because he is talking about power at work. Please read before commenting. Also he is in NY.

Gents. My first line says I took it to work. I have ZERO issues at home with my Tesla Wall charger. It is awesome.
I can not do anything about the dirty power. It is TEMP all over the site. My Tesla is the most comicated piece of equipment on the site. So, I am the only one that would care about dirty voltage.

Thanks for the tips on lowering the amperage in the car. That didnt work.
I agree with the poster that said the car is protecting itself.
I am an IBEW member on the east coast.

Yes, I probably have 208v here. Usually 10 percent fluctuations are expected and accepted. So, nornally 190 would not be a big deal. But, I am assuming the electronics in the car are not happy.

bp | December 10, 2019

Bummer on the amp draw trick, I really thought it might have a chance. Last solution I have for you: turn off charge notifications on your phone.

@bp. I am laughing about the notifications. I assumed that would be my only recourse as well.

I feel I can rest easy, because I feel the car is doing its job and protecting itself.