Forums

M3 Range

M3 Range

I am a bit concern with what I am getting out of a new M3 SR+ and I believe the Tesla claims are off regarding realistic use ranges. I don’t have Sentry on, no USB charges, or AC and everything that I can off. Heck, I even set the display to 10% brightness and turn off the headlights during the day.

We charge the car nightly to 90%. The car has a 240 range supposedly so 10% down and you have now 216. Since you are not supposed to use the car below 10% then subtract another 24 miles and now you have an expected range of 192 miles.

In reality, the car shows 213 miles of range in the morning after charging at 7 AM. I drive to work 40 miles and park the card. When I arrive at work, I have 167 remaining. The car stays parked for 8 hours and seem to lose 1 mile of range per hour. Again, no sentry, AC, no Tesla App checks etc. Just plain off, or as close as you can to that.

I leave work at 5 and have 151 remaining. Drive 40 miles back and reach home with 105 miles.

So at the end of the day I drive 80 miles and lost 108 from the range on a good day so it seems that a Tesla mile is really like 1.4 or so of a "terrain" mile so considering not going below the 10% charge the M3 SR+ has a usable daily range of about 150 miles.

Coming from a series 3 BMW, that car did about 400 miles with a full tank so in comparison the M3 SR+ is about to a bit more than a quarter tank of my previous car

I know driving an EV car is different, but these details should be better explained to customers and I wished I would have known before. With the projected or Tesla acceptable decay of 20% on the batteries the range of the car will be further impacted to be almost unusable in my opinion if that 20% comes true.

Regards,

Paul

teslamazing | December 12, 2019

Also if you aren’t familiar with EVs, speed, wind, temp is huge, and others factors in range loss. Just google “model 3 range loss” and you’ll find a ton of info.

Mr. Spacely | December 12, 2019

Not the range thing again! First of all you only need 100 miles per day for your commute and you have it. And unlike your old fashioned BMW, if you plug in at home you start every day with a full "tank." If you need more for a trip charge to 100%, and going below 20% for a while on a trip is not damaging to the battery. Finally there is no evidence that Tesla's lose 20% of their battery over time-- that's just what would trigger the warranty.

WEST TEX EV | December 12, 2019

Charge@work. (Unplug range anxiety mode)

Also, if u always wake up with 90% charge what is the problem? (Did your previous car always achieve its EPA MPG? Or did u just fill up again and again....)

Also battery degradation is about 5-10% after 300,000 mi. From what I have read.

@westtex correct.

andy.connor.e | December 12, 2019

More than likely they do not think about it until the gas meter reaches 1/4 tank. Charge at home every night and you dont even need to think.

Joshan | December 12, 2019

I do not know where to even start with this post, Its like he has been reading Fish posts....Please educate yourself and read up on the car.

I still do not really believe people convert to a E/V without doing any research.

Magic 8 Ball | December 12, 2019

firstname.lastname

I am concerned as well.

the always seem to be firstname.lastname also... why?

bjrosen | December 12, 2019

Those numbers don't sound to bad except for the phantom drain, teslamazing is right, make sure smart summon is off as well as sentry mode. Speed matters, is this highway driving or back road driving. Temperature matters a lot, you didn't say where you live but if you are in a winter state then expect about a 1/3rd loss of range in the cold, maybe more. My range in MA in an AWD is 200 miles when the temperature is 15F, in summer I do better than the EPA number but I keep my speed down and mostly do back roads.

No idea. Half the new threads created, you never hear from the OP ever again.

Want to take bets if he ever replies again?

I'll bet a tri-motor he does not ever return again.

There was a post by user dean.coddington that, if I remember correctly, was almost identical to this; did that thread vaporize?

all you have to do is ask yourself this one questions.

Would you spend $50,000 on a technology you have never tried or know anything about, while doing zero research on the said technology?

Seriously, would you? Neither would anyone else...

EAPme | December 12, 2019

@OP
~~~~~
I know driving an EV car is different, but these details should be better explained to customers and I wished I would have known before.
~~~~~
"I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you."

Sorry, but the onus is on the consumer to educate themselves on their purchase (this applies to everything). Lots of information to be had, and the information you've seen here is just sample (weather, tire pressure, cabin temps, etc.).

Having a 90% full "tank" EVERY MORNING is the beauty of having an EV. Sounds like prefer the process of filling the tank of your BMW 3-series. You'll get used to the new process.

All you have to ask yourself is:

Do I like turtles?

No. I like turtles.

#SAVETHETURTLES
#VSCO (#VSCOGIRL?)

WhiteWind | December 12, 2019

I heard MomE doesn't have this problems )

I thought the comment about reducing screen brightness to reserve battery was quite funny

EAPme | December 12, 2019

Yes, I do not like turtles.

My abc+x/y=z. Should I be concerned?

signed,
fname.lname

almost like something fish would say, isn't it? :P

robert rogus | December 12, 2019

OP — What was your wh/mi since last charge, and outside air temperature?

I agree with the others that this is a worthless post if you do not respond to any questions.

Give the guy a few hours at least to come back hah. Could be busy rn.

robert rogus | December 12, 2019

Having said that, 33% range loss in cold weather, using the heater, and at high speed is possible. That’s a lot of range loss, but it has never caused me any trouble, driving all around NYC area. Long winter road trips might be a problem, but I have not done one. Long summer road trips were ok in my experience.

I wonder, now that the stock is about to breakout, if the big guns (not Fish amateurs) are working overtime?

Other than the normal driving range loss, I’m positive smart summon standby is causing the excess stationary drain. Never fails for newbies

You guys are going to owe me a Tri-motor because im certain the OP will never come back ever.

There was one a few days ago, geno.kearny (I think), that came back a few times but a day or so between posts. Not a sure bet in my book.

Twochewy | December 12, 2019

The OP might have exaggerated his numbers a bit to make a point, but his point was a reasonable one. I also came from a BMW 3 series, and my Tesla (LR AWD) is a much better car in so many ways, but usable range is not one of them. You can drive an ICE car fast on the highway in winter and the MPG is still acceptable. He'll wise up and learn driving habits to lower Wh/mi and get more from his car. Then there's summer when he'll get closer to EPA mileage.
My Tesla is the best car I've owned, but it isn't perfect. Perfect would be 500mi range, battery pack 1/2 the weight, better cold weather performance. Do that and we can say goodbye to ICE.

Twochewy | December 12, 2019
I also came from a BMW 3 series, and my Tesla (LR AWD) is a much better car in so many ways, but usable range is not one of them. You can drive an ICE car fast on the highway in winter and the MPG is still acceptable.

How about summer? The BMW range will suffer range loss hard driving fast on the highway with the A/C on and the Tesla will still have acceptable range.

RedPillSucks | December 12, 2019

This seems remarkably similar to a post a couple of days ago. So I'll respond the same way
ICE cars have the same issue, but nobody cares cause they just pop into a gas station when the car gets near empty.
My Camry Hybrid had an EPM estimate of 44mpg when I purchased it. However, the most I got was 40mpg. A few months later it was down to 38mpg and now its about 36mpg. My suggestion is you treat the EV the same way you would an ICE car and just ignore the issue. You can charge up at home every few days as your usage dictates. I charge once a week, which is about how often I was filling my ICE car, except now I fill at home instead of having to remember to go to the gas station.

Lol. Welp.

WhiteWind | December 12, 2019

Wrong. It says in manual keep it plugged in at home