Forums

Long Range vs Long Range performance

Long Range vs Long Range performance

I ordered my son a long range model 3 for Christmas because range is important with his commuting. I noticed that Tesla states the long range is rated only 12 miles further than the performance. Does anyone with real world experience (normal driving, not excessively fast) know if the performance with the 20 inch tires is really that close to the long range with 18 inch tires?
I own a Model S and Model X and know the range can be significantly lower on performance vehicles.

SdpLV | December 26, 2019

Get him the Model 3 Long Range “Stealth” instead. Best of all worlds!

Lonestar10_1999 | December 26, 2019

Wow, how many parents would buy their kid a Tesla?? And a performance model to boot!! I would be lucky if I got a used Leaf from my parents.

whartline | December 26, 2019

Not familiar with "stealth". Is it the long range wrapped in X-Pel satin?

WhiteWind | December 26, 2019

No it's alien space ship with warp drive

bjrosen | December 26, 2019

For normal driving there is no reason to get either the Performance or the $2K performance upgrade. The 20" wheels are a liability, hit a pot hole and you are out thousands of dollars, saw a Youtube video where one pot hole took out both passenger side tires, destroyed the wheels also so the replacement cost was $2800. The 18" wheels on the standard AWD are much more robust. The acceleration of the standard AWD is already neck snapping, 4.4 seconds is better than most muscle cars. If you are racing the car then by all means get the full performance package but if you are never taking it to the track then stick with the AWD. If you really feel that 4.4 seconds isn't good enough then the $2K OTA performance upgrade will get you to 3.9, you can make that decision at anytime because it's a software update.

@bjrosen- Thank you very much. Those are the reasons I ordered the long range.
The only reason I was considering the performance was that there may be one in inventory and so could take delivery much sooner. My concern is how much of a hit in range does the performance with the 20" wheels give you. I know rated and actual mileage is very different.

kevin_rf | December 26, 2019

People have compiled the statistics, take a look at this table of estimated range of all models with different the sizes.

https://teslike.com/range/

kevin_rf | December 26, 2019

Btw. If the range difference is a real worry, you can always buy 18" aero's later and performance will get the exactly the same LR AWD range.

bjrosen | December 26, 2019

You've made the right decision. I'd wager that the ride is better on the 18" wheels then on the 20" wheels because there is more tire to absorb bumps. I have no personal knowledge of this, it's just a guess on my part, but if someone with a Performance version wants to weigh in and confirm or deny my conjecture please do.

For people who actually race their cars the full performance version is clearly the right choice versus the power boosted version. The performance version comes with heavy duty brakes which make a whole lot of difference on a track. For the rest of us they are just a waste of money, the objective is to minimize the use of friction brakes and maximize regen braking so why pay for something that you will never use.

@Kevin_rf - Thank you. It looks like the range hit is due more to the wheels than anything else.

Whdame | December 26, 2019

@bjrosen- You may have just helped me with my next car if your logic is correct. I have a 2018 LR model 3 but ordering the model Y in early summer (I'm old and getting in/out of this car is a little rough for me. I want a faster version so you think ordering the AWD Model Y and getting the 2k performance upgrade (if they have it) is better than me ordering the performance version, which I was 100% planning on doing.

I know this is off topic but maybe it will keep me from starting another thread.
In my model s X and S there has been a couple times when my wife wanted to drive the S and didn't have the key fob. I enabled her to drive it through the phone app even though I was not there with the car. Can you do that with the model 3. Just thought it would be nice if my son's phone is dead and he doesn't have the key card.

Yes, whartline it can be remotely started by the phone.

Yes, whartline it can be remotely started by the phone.

@whdame- thank you very much!

ODWms | December 26, 2019

I have the P3 with 20” setup, and I can say I see extremely little difference in the ride quality between 18s, 19s and what I have. Even with as much people say the ride of the Model S is so soft and compliant, I don’t see that either. I’d say there is a slight ride quality improvement in the S over the 3, but nowhere near what I was led to believe there is.

Maybe the air suspension makes a difference, and if I get a chance to drive an S with it I can see that for myself. I personally like a “tighter” suspension and ride setup, so never been into the “pillowy,” ride thing, personally. But from what I can tell the Model 3 is as much the right blend of handling and ride as any other car in anywhere near its performance capabilities. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Scrannel | December 26, 2019

Read a comparison which gave ride quality nod to the 20" wheels.

Mike.Melbourne | December 26, 2019

I got the M3P because “wheels make the car”. They look awesome in grey.

coleAK | December 26, 2019

@mike.melborne. You are correct wheels make the car and 18” performance is better in every way.

vmulla | December 26, 2019

@bjrosen,
You advise to go with a lower option? :))
Some of the forum members will be very upset with you, The solution to everything is always the highest option available :))
Excellent advice by the way!

yudansha™ | December 26, 2019

Your kid will appreciate your generosity and the performance car.

I disagree with tanya. The kid will expect the Roadster and will throw a hissy fit when it turns out to be just an
M3.

yudansha™ | December 26, 2019

@Lonestar10_1999 The kid might be a well-respected grownup as far as we know, and his parent feels he deserves it.

Whether the kid is a teenager or a grownup, if he cleaned up his room and let aunt Bertha hug and kiss him, then he did in fact earn it. I stand corrected.

dwejr99 | December 26, 2019

I have performance on 20s. I potholed the passenger side and destroyed both wheels. Switched to 18s Continentals. Efficiency is better in winter driving so I can only imagine summer driving will be greater. Didn't affect speed or handling.