Forums

Wall charger charging speed

Wall charger charging speed

I installed the wall charger on a 60 amp circuit (240v). When I first installed the charger around August, I was able to get 10 kWh charging speed for my Model 3. I haven’t changed anything (except coiling the cable around the charger) but now the max I can get is 3 kWh. Any reason why it would do that? I have roughly 17,000 miles on the car.

Thanks.

EVRider | December 31, 2019

Unless you’ve manually limited charging, it probably signals an issue with the power source, so you might want to have an electrician check it out. Wrapping the cord around the wall connector is not a problem, lots of people do that.

stephen0118 | December 31, 2019

Thanks, @EVRider.

TeslaTap.com | December 31, 2019

Have you checked the amperage limit in the car? You can limit it to any value. Its possible someone changed it in the car or from the app.

A software update might change it, although it's never happened to me.

If there was a power instability, it can auto-lower it as a protection. Usually, for instability, it lowers it from 40 amps to 30 amps. At 3 kW, that's only 12 amps, so I doubt it was a power instability issue.

Darryl | January 1, 2020

Have you checked the dial inside the HPWC which sets the max amps for the circuit.

jimglas | January 1, 2020

@darryl: exactly what I was thinking!

Yodrak. | January 1, 2020

OP wrote:
"When I first installed the charger around August, I was able to get 10 kWh charging speed ... I haven’t changed anything ... but now the max I can get is 3 kWh."

Perhaps a spider or a mouse got into the unit and moved the dial that sets the charging current.

jimglas | January 2, 2020

I put my money on the trunk monkey. It has opposable thumbs. It would be a difficult task without that.