Forums

How can I save recording of camera ?

How can I save recording of camera ?

Hi All

I watch allot of videos of tesla owners when someone damage their car or drive risky etc.
Do I need to buy a sd card and install it? Or its by default?
I tried to turn on the new feature of honk and save recording - but it gave error of no sd card.

Also, when there is a Sentry event - how can I watch them?

pnagy | January 5, 2020

It's all described in owner's manual.

Peter

gmr6415 | January 5, 2020

@Tesladriver2019sn, "I tried to turn on the new feature of honk and save recording - but it gave error of no sd card."

I think that should be your first clue that you need to install a recording device after reading the manual on Sentry Mode and Dash Cam.

TeslaTap.com | January 5, 2020

I created a site to explain in detail the Tesla dashcam and memory needed: https://cammem.com/

Walks you through the proper setup too.

Sarah R | January 5, 2020

Samsung microSDXC UHC-1 Pro Endurance 128GB

Rocketek RT-TFU3R-B

Works flawlessly. You might need to install the VLC video player because not all mp4 videos use the same codecs. VLC plays the videos.

Orthopod | January 5, 2020

Bought a 128GB USB flash drive for $20 at BF
it was already formatted to FAT32
inserted it in the USB port in the center console
Hit the dashcam button to record the 10 minutes prior to event or have fun filtering through 444 videos of Sentry event triggered by snowflakes in 4-5 days

Tesladriver2019sn | January 5, 2020

Thanks everyone.

@TeslaTap the website isn't working https://cammem.com/

@Maxxer so I set up the recording to be saved 15 min prior to an event? How do I set it up? If there is an event during the drive it won't record?

You just press on the Dashcam icon and it will save the 10 minutes before you pressed on it. It’s constantly recording.

As long as your car chase doesn’t last more than 10 minutes you’ll have time to press on the dashcam icon

pnagy | January 5, 2020

This is my speculation and correct me if I'm wrong.

If you want to enable Sentry mode, I suggest to run the DashCam recording for at least an hour before enabling Sentry mode. The reason is DashCam constantly loops in a 60-minute cycle when the cameras are activated. This way video files will be fully allocated for DashCam. If you don't do this and let Sentry run and fill up the drive before DashCam 60 minute video gets fully allocated.

I hope I am clear about this.

Peter

EVRider | January 5, 2020

@pnagy: Your suggestion will have no impact on how quickly the drive fills up. When the dashcam reaches 60 minutes and starts overwriting files, it doesn't matter when those older files were recorded. Sentry Mode will also overwrite older Sentry Mode files if it needs to, which is a new feature of V10, and one that should make it much harder to fill the USB. The only files that do not get automatically overwritten are those that you've explicitly saved (which are in SavedClips).

Consider yourself corrected. :-)

pnagy | January 5, 2020

@EVRider,

I agree with your statement. My point was that Sentry mode has no limit of recording (also loops as you said) while DashCam has limit of 60 minute loop.

Assuming the thumb drive is initially empty, if the car was sitting in a garage and not driven for a long time, DashCam would not be recording but Sentry will be recording indefinitely until the owner takes the car out of "Park". What if Sentry mode filled up the whole disk and not leaving any room for DashCam?

Or Tesla engineers were smart enough to not let that happen?

Thanks,
Peter

EVRider | January 5, 2020

@pnagy: As I said, in V10 Sentry Mode will delete old recordings if necessary to avoid filling the disk. Here's what it says under Sentry Mode Improvements in the V10 support article (https://www.tesla.com/support/software-version-10-0):

"Sentry Mode video clips are now saved in a separate folder on your USB drive to make them easier to review and manage. Also, your oldest Sentry Mode video clips will now be automatically deleted if there is not enough space on the USB drive and Sentry Mode clips are using more than 5GB of space."

Note that if your USB drive is very small, it could fill up before Sentry Mode uses up 5GB, but if you're using a 64GB or larger drive as most people are, the USB shouldn't fill up unless you save too many videos.

Tesladriver2019sn | January 5, 2020

Thanks. What about recording videos during the drive? Lets say someone hit me or other event? The camera is recording?

pnagy | January 5, 2020

I think I am not making myself clear.

I already knew that new Sentry clips will override oldest Sentry clips when the disk gets full. Likewise DashCam 60 minute video loop. I totally get that.

I hope others will chime in and understood my question better. Please read my second paragraph carefully in my previous post.

Thank you for your time responding.

Peter

pnagy | January 5, 2020

" Tesladriver2019sn | January 5, 2020

Thanks. What about recording videos during the drive? Lets say someone hit me or other event? The camera is recording?"

According to the manual, DashCam video starts recording as soon as you you plug in your thumb drive. DashCam also starts recording while the Tesla is in "wake-up" state (i.e. your cell phone nearby). This applies to whether you are driving or not as long as your phone or Key FOB is nearby.

It's on page 72 of owner's manual:

"Note: Dashcam automatically begins recording when you insert a properly configured USB flash drive into one of the front USB ports."

Peter

rob | January 5, 2020

@pnagy
There are 3 stages of Sentry: standby, Alert, and Alarm. Standby does not record...

pnagy | January 5, 2020

" rob | January 5, 2020

@pnagy
There are 3 stages of Sentry: standby, Alert, and Alarm. Standby does not record..."

Rob,

That's very useful information.

Thanks,
Peter

Does this thread qualify for a PhD in Sentry mode?

EVRider | January 6, 2020

@rob: Sentry Mode does record continuously, but it only saves video when an alert or alarm is triggered. There would be nothing to save if it wasn’t recording all the time. The video that isn’t saved is in the RecentClips folder. I don’t know if Sentry Mode saves a full hour of video in RecentClips like the dashcam, but I’m assuming that’s how it works.

I’ll be parking somewhere later this morning where Sentry Mode will be on for a while. If I remember, I’ll remove the USB when I get home and see what’s in RecentClips.

A related factoid: When you explicitly save video, or Sentry Mode does so, the last 10 minutes of video are moved, not copied, from RecentClips to SavedClips or SentryClips. If you trigger the save manually, it’s better to wait a minute or so after the event you want to capture, because the video file that includes the event might not have been completely written to the disk when the files are moved. Tesla could fix this by making sure all write operations are complete before moving the files, but I don’t know if they’ve done that yet.

gmr6415 | January 6, 2020

@Maxxer, "Does this thread qualify for a PhD in Sentry mode?"

No, and it wouldn't have to go this far if the OP would read the manual or at least search for a youtube video on Sentry Mode and Dash Cam.

pnagy | January 6, 2020

@EVRider,

Your latest statement makes a lot of sense and pretty much answers my question. That sounds like a much better design than I originally thought.

Thanks,
Peter

TeslaTap.com | January 6, 2020

@Tesladriver2019sn - Thanks. I had messed up the https://cammem.com/ site doing a test without realizing it. I had it back operating yesterday afternoon.

Just a follow up to my previous comment: I actually remembered to check the USB after I got home (which is no small feat for me :-), and the 60 minutes of video in RecentClips did include the footage from when I was parked and had Sentry Mode on. There was one Sentry Mode alert event triggered, but that happened earlier than the first clip in RecentClips, so I can't prove that the files in SentryMode were moved rather than copied.

It seems that Sentry Mode is less sensitive than it used to be (I have 40.50.7 installed). In the 60 minutes of video in RecentClips, I saw people walk by or drive by the car, which would have triggered Sentry Mode events in earlier versions. I also used to trigger Sentry events when I returned to the car, and that doesn't happen anymore. The one Sentry event was triggered by a couple of people who were standing next to the car checking it out, so that was appropriate.

By the way, I've been using a Lexar JumpDrive S75 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive for the TeslaCam in our Model 3 and haven't had any issues with it, unlike many others who are using regular USB drives. I use a SanDisk microSD card and USB adapter in my Model S and haven't had problems with that either. Just for good measure, after I checked the files on the Lexar USB today I reformatted it.

pnagy | January 6, 2020

@EVRider,

Thanks for the write up. This completely answers my question.

I am using 500MB SSD:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077SQ8J1V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MKCG5ZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

Works great and should last a long time.

Peter

@pnagy, I purchased this on about 4 months ago and it works great. It's designed for images and video.

https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/g-technology-g-...

"Durable, fast and portable"

"Featuring IP67 water-and dust-resistance, 3-meter drop protection3, and a 1000 lb crushproof rating, the G-DRIVE Mobile SSD provides ruggedized storage you can trust. Transfer speeds up to 560MB/s2 let you quickly save, edit and archive large source files, while a versatile USB-C™port with a USB 3.1 Gen 2 interface keeps this device ready for laptops both old and new. With the G-DRIVE Mobile SSD, you get exceptionally durable storage to handle your big picture."

When using any SSD, keep in mind that the operating temperature range might not cover the full range of temperatures that the inside of your car will see. Check the specs and make sure it will handle the temperature range where you park. SSD drives are not typically designed for use in a car (when you’re not there).

pnagy | January 6, 2020

The spec for my Crucial SSD is 0C to 70C (158F). I don't think the interior of my car will fall below 32F since it's always garaged and heater will be used. Plus the SSD is protected by a case as shown in my link.

SanDisk High Endurance memory card is better at -25C to 85C.

Good point about temperature range for memory products. I will see how well my SSD goes.

Peter

@EVRider, Western Digital doesn't publish a temperature range for their G-Drive, so I called their technical support. They stated that since it's designed as a mobile drive they took into consideration that it may be left inside cars.

The following is what they sent me:

Most SSDs are rated for running within a temperature range of 0ºC up to a max temp of 70ºC (32ºF to 158ºF). This range is about the same for every consumer SSD currently on the market, but can sometimes vary slightly based on the model and form factor of the SSD (2.5” SATA, M.2 or mSATA) – but a drive under 70ºC is generally within the operating parameters provided by SSD manufacturers.

pnagy | January 6, 2020

I wish the owner's manual gave better suggestions about memory cards and minimum performance spec like high speed video rate and long life for number of writes to flash chips since flash chips life are limited to number of writes.

SanDisk High Endurance memory card is one example to survive in extreme condition and high speed video reads and writes. My SSD also support high speed video rate.

Peter

rob | January 6, 2020

This forum needs a bat signal for TeslaTap and EVRider...

A lower limit of 0ºC is probably too high for some people who park outside in winter, away from home where they would be using Sentry Mode. SSD’s can probably tolerate more extreme temperatures than that, but it’s the operating temperature that matters.

Here in south FL, I would have to worry more about the high end of the range. :-)

cmd.cmd0 | January 13, 2020

LyricsBell.com is your online source of Hindi & Punjabi song lyrics from Bollywood movies and albums. We also provide audio and video of songs. https://www.lyricsbell.com/

gmr6415 | January 13, 2020

@EVRider, I'm in Central FL, not quite as hot as you, but I've had no issues with https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/g-technology-g-...

I picked it up at Best Buy on sale and it's worked great.

gmr6415 | January 13, 2020

@EVRider, I forgot to mention I set up three equal partitions, one for dash cam, one for audio books and one for music. I haven't had issues using any of them.

EVRider | January 13, 2020

@gmr6415: How do you select which audio partition to use? Do they show up as 2 different USB sources in the media app?

cmd.cmd0 | April 1, 2020

When using any SSD, keep in mind that the operating temperature range might not cover the full range of temperatures that the inside of your car will see. Check the specs and make sure it will handle the temperature range where you park. SSD drives are not typically designed for use in a car (when you’re not there).

http://www.lyricsbull.com/