Forums

Voice Commands Not Working

Voice Commands Not Working

When i push the voice button and say a command {eg. navigate home, or Play Ray Charles} the words appear on the dashboard briefly but then disappear, and the car ignores the command. Any fix available?

EVRider | February 3, 2020

Try holding the voice button longer.

Daisy the Road ... | February 3, 2020

The logic has changed a bit. You need to hold the button down all the way through the point where the words are recognized.

RichardANathan | February 3, 2020

Yes, i have done that. All the words appear on the screen, but then disappear in about 2 seconds and the commands are not implemented.

blundell31 | February 3, 2020

yes the new software update 2019.40.50.7 is terrible Non of the improvements work. the voice the text the temperature and a lot of the other functions that worked before the update dont work now. there does not seem to be able to talk to any one to fix the problems . hopefully other people who have had this problem may be able to help by posting on this forum car is 2018 s100D

sentabo | February 3, 2020

I have some punctuation for sale, pretty cheap.

garyjtate | February 3, 2020

Service Center advises Tesla is working on update

barrykmd | February 3, 2020

There's something to be said for selecting "standard" on updates. I haven't received the latest buggy update yet.

Aerodyne | February 3, 2020

To the OP, try a short push of the button. To his was reported to work on the new release, on the TMC board....

yleslie97 | February 4, 2020

I am still having this problem. I have taken my car in several times and there does not seem to be a fix. When I use the voice command, it shuts off all sound (navigation, radio, etc.) I have to reset my car in order to get everything working again. I even had a case where the voice command called a phone number 21 times. I just glad that it was a really good friend and not a client.

Silver2K | February 4, 2020

Did you reboot?

RichardANathan | February 5, 2020

I followed the advice of the first two responders and it works! Thank you. The trick was to hold the voice command button down for an extra 2-3 seconds after the words appeared on the dashboard.

Silver2K | February 5, 2020

You should not have to hold the voice commend button down. Reboot should take care of this issue

Silver2K | February 5, 2020

Command

EVRider | February 5, 2020

@Silver2K: You shouldn’t have to hold in the voice button, but it’s a bug in the latest builds and a reboot won’t fix it. Which build do you have?

kinkazoo | February 5, 2020

Voice commands not working to navigate for weeks or selecting music on both s and x. Can change temp with new update. Did the reset still broken. Help, wife pissed. Sold my Tesla stock yesterday.

revrev4ruach | February 6, 2020

At 900, 800 or 700?

PrescottRichard | February 6, 2020

This is how it worked for me today- 2016 Model S 90D

Hit the button and let go, audio paused and prompt -said ‘let’s go home’ and the car pulled up my home address.
Hit the button and let go, audio paused and prompt- said ‘set temperature to 70º’ and the car did exactly that.

So no holding the button down until I was done talking, only one press at the beginning and not the end. FWIW I was sitting still so a pretty quiet environment.

Silver2K | February 6, 2020

GTM | February 6, 2020

2020 MS with version 2019.40.50.7. Brief press on steering wheel button and microphone comes up. 9 times out of 10 (not perfect yet) the instrument cluster exactly displays what I dictate. Wait a second and the command is executed and media/audio resumes. I am by no means saying that anyone's problem is not real, but that it may vary by specific hardware versions. After a software update I find it quite helpful to do a reboot and then go through the various new, or changed, features in the garage, not driving in traffic. Tesla seems to always tweak things so it is not safe to assume everything will work as it previously did. There is always a re-learning curve best dealt with when not moving.

taxmanandy | February 6, 2020

thank you thank you thank you
my voice has not worked in over a week. I did not realize that they changed how long to hold the button.
I read the above post, went out to my car and pushed and released the button all commands work perfect

centurycapital1 | February 9, 2020

it used to be so easy before the update, you pressed the button - say the command press again and it worked, now you have to hold the button forever and 30% of the time it will not work.
who can we convince to go back to the way it worked before?

brad.beidner | February 9, 2020

I've had 2 Tesla Model S since 2012. I was there early. I have never had an issue with the software until now. A lot of functionality stopped. Having trouble with the autopilot cameras since the new software update. I have to reboot numerous times to get the voice command to work somewhat. I hope the fix the buggy software release and rewrite the programs that operate the car.

philgrocks | February 9, 2020

I got 2019.4.1 and immediately most of voice commands stoped working. (I got the update on 1/28/2020).

I called Tesla and was told others are having the same issue. They had me capture logs (can't do it with voice any more, so alternative method by pressing and holding on the car icon in the lower right also does it).

I'm confident that Tesla is working on it, but having voice features damaged so seriously is annoying.

philgrocks | February 9, 2020

I got 2019.4.1 and immediately most of voice commands stoped working. (I got the update on 1/28/2020).

I called Tesla and was told others are having the same issue. They had me capture logs (can't do it with voice any more, so alternative method by pressing and holding on the car icon in the lower right also does it).

I'm confident that Tesla is working on it, but having voice features damaged so seriously is annoying.

kinkazoo | February 9, 2020

Voice commands not working for weeks. Reset, hold button, new software, all broken. Seems like Tesla doesn’t give a s*hit for loyal customers. New release break more things than they fix.

Put in service call they canceled and say firmware issue. Wtf Tesla!

Also mirrors unfold in middle of the night all by themselves. I broken one going out the garage a year ago, now worried I will do it again forgetting to notice they unfolded on their own. Tesla’s turned to crap.

kinkazoo | February 9, 2020

Voice commands not working for weeks. Reset, hold button, new software, all broken. Seems like Tesla doesn’t give a s*hit for loyal customers. New release break more things than they fix.

Put in service call they canceled and say firmware issue. Wtf Tesla!

Also mirrors unfold in middle of the night all by themselves. I broken one going out the garage a year ago, now worried I will do it again forgetting to notice they unfolded on their own. Tesla’s turned to crap.

ArthurG | February 9, 2020

I have a 2012 P85. I've been having the same voice navigation issue ever since the last update. Just now, based on EVRider's suggestion, I tried holding the voice button longer, and everything worked perfectly. I had held it longer before, but this time I waited until not only was what I said transcribed, but a message appeared below that saying "navigating...."

It's funny, but when I received the car in Dec. 2012, that's how it worked. After a while, there was a software update that changed it to require just a tap before speaking, then another tap afterwards. That took some getting used to, but now it's a habit. I don't remember whether there was any warning of the change. (Were there even release notes back then?) In any case, now I'll just have to get used to the new old way of doing things.

Thanks very much to EVRider.

NKYTA | February 9, 2020

Works for me 2012 S. Well, not all, but new ones!

Climate!

NKYTA | February 9, 2020

Thanks Tesla for yet another new thing. :-)

78olds | February 10, 2020

i so wish i looked at this thread many weeks ago...the simple fix is to NOT HOLD the voice command button...just one tap....would have been nice if the release notes gave that simple bit of info....

DonS | February 10, 2020

Also, if cell service is missing, voice command stops working. Even when the signal strength shows full bars, it can take a long time, or even a reboot, to get voice commands to work again.

EVRider | February 10, 2020

@78olds: No, the fix is to do the opposite of what you said. You need to hold the voice button until the command is recognized and acted on.

GTM | February 10, 2020

@EVRider. Not necessarily true. 2020 MS P on 2019.40.50.7 responds with a quick press and release. The command is then displayed on the instrument cluster and executed (occasionally with a small delay). I obviously haven't tried every command (who has?) but the car does always respond to the press and release action. My on-board manual (for my software version) states to press, speak the command and either press again or just wait for the car to act. "press again" clearly indicating that you release the button. There seems to be no doubt that different cars react differently. Silly to think that the manuals are different and reflect the correct commands for each car?

NKYTA | February 10, 2020

2012 S working normally. I’ve not tried many of the variants, but I can set climate temp and open the glove box.

Gone are the days where I did this religiously in the EA program.

Hard to believe it has been 7+ years.

EVRider | February 10, 2020

@GTM: What I described is how it works for me and many others. Not sure why it works differently for different owners. My 2018 S100D is running 2020.4.

GTM | February 10, 2020

@EVRider, I have no doubt you know your car and how it works. Not meaning to question that in the least. I also have no doubt that Elon's compete roster of software engineers could not explain why different cars react differently. It just keeps the owner experience fresh and exciting.

EVRider | February 11, 2020

@GTM: The fact that you’re running 2019.40.50.x and I’m running 2020.4 could account for the difference in our case, but I don’t know.

TranzNDance | February 11, 2020

I'm running 2020.4 on a 2017 S and I do not need to hold down the talk button. It's just one tap to initiate.

Mouthpiece | February 12, 2020

Tried all the suggestions above but none of them worked for me. Then stumbled on this sequence which does work for my car: short press of voice command button; speak when microphone appears; do nothing else - no press to end. After a second or two route appears, temperature changes, etc. I have a 2018 P100DL running 2020.4.1.4.

mike | February 14, 2020

2017 S 2020.4.1. What Mouthpiece said works (mostly) for me. I was used to holding the button down while speaking which no longer works. Looks like Tesla was trying to add voice commands (based on release notes) and changed the user experience (maybe inadvertently) without letting us know. The new action feels very clunky due to slow response.

ken.detrick | February 14, 2020

I tried all the suggestions above...... nothing worked. Voice Command is dead on my 2020 MS. Also scheduled service which Tesla canceled as they say they are working on it. Very frustrating as it feels that Tesla is not making this a priority. When will Tesla send a fix?

John | February 14, 2020

I am also unable to dial my phone with voice commands since the update.
I've tried every permutation of holding and releasing button.
I have the text disappear thing too.
Is the fix coming soon? Please?

Kit-60kWh now 85D | February 17, 2020

I'm delighted to report that after a full reboot, which took a long time to get to the reappearing Tesla logo, the very brief push of the mic button works for voice commands! I've been very frustrated and irritated at how blasé my Tesla Mobile Mechanic was about it. He said it was a known bug, it was being worked on, and left it at that. (He also had to come back a week later to correctly realign the replacement failed door handle.) Tessie 2 is a 2017 with v10.2 (2020.4.1). Thank you, Forum Friends!

darian | February 18, 2020

I have the same issue. Voice command don’t work anymore. Service is of no help other than “known issue response”. The service level is awful anyway. And, as far as voice command go, how useless is a voice command to set the temp? You can do that from scroll wheel if you don’t want to look down for a second. How about being able to tune to a radio or satellite station with a voice command? That would be useful since you do need to take your eyes off the road to tune the radio! Just venting of course since I’m sure no one from Tesla reads this.

EVRider | February 19, 2020

@darian: You can adjust the temp using the scroll wheel in a Model S/X, but not in a Model 3, so some voice commands are more useful on the 3.

irvep | February 20, 2020

Voice commands worked fine until I received update 2020.4.1 on February 2. Reported it to Tesla and they informed me that lots of people have the problem. Two weeks later, I called again to see if any fix. I was told the engineers are working on it. Enhancements to the voice commands make the function useless. Crazy that regression testing would not have identified the issue before they released the update. Doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency to fix it and they could not tell me of a plan to distribute the fix when ready.

chrisazim | February 20, 2020

It is broken. Reboot works for about a second, maybe. That really is not the issue. The software is the issue. Too bad cannot go back to the prior version.

irvep | February 21, 2020

I tried the suggestion to just do a quick press and release of the voice button and then speak. First test seemed to consistently work. Wonder why Tesla hasn't recommended that as the fix, at least until there is a software fix available.

jordan | February 21, 2020

2018 MS, same problem, adding my voice to the large chorus, the much-touted "voice commands got even better" release in late January killed all voice command capabilities in my car.

Reboots, holding the button, not holding the button, etc, nothing works. Three calls in three weeks to TSLA service to ask when the fix is coming, they always say they will "escalate" but of course nothing yet

finished | February 22, 2020

I,too have had problems since 2020 4.1, but after many repeated tries, it appears that a one-press voice command is now working. Took 20 or 30 repeated commands until it understood the words and displayed them correctly, and launched the command. My guess, and it is a guess, is that the voice input needed to be relearned. Maybe mic gain and sampling needed to be adjusted during my repeated attempts. Who knows.

Pages