Forums

Battery Life and Charging over time

Battery Life and Charging over time

I'm looking to buy a Tesla for occasional weekend driving (less than 5k miles/year). I've found all sorts of information out there regarding battery life over time in relation to miles driven, but there doesn't seem to be much out there focused just on time passed. Forgive my ignorance, but won't the battery health be affected to some degree over so many years regardless of how much drain/charging happens?

Also, semi-related, does anyone know if using a standard 120V outlet to regularly charge the car could negatively affect the battery health compared to using the 240V?

Thanks!

TeslaTap.com | February 7, 2020

The battery longevity is really only affected by usage - charging and discharging. The less you use it the less chemical wear occurs. It doesn't degrade with time alone.

While 120v charging is a little less efficient, it may have a slight positive affect the health. I'm not sure it's measurable, but generally, lower charging power helps slightly with longevity. Not something to be concerned with.

dchuck | February 7, 2020

Everything i have read has indicated that leaving the battery for extended periods does not affect it's ability to charge. So long as you leave it plugged in and at a reasonable state of charge, say 70% it should be fine.

If people are getting 8 years and 100,000 miles out of a battery, 10-15 years with fewer cycles isn't out of the question. Eventually the small discharges and recharges will catch up with the battery, but it shouldn't be more than a percent or two.

120v vs 240v should make no practical difference with the number of miles your describing. The only negative i have seen is that 120v charging tends to be less efficient. So you will spend a couple of bucks more to charge the car.

mroberthowell | February 7, 2020

Thank you both so much! I've had such a hard time finding information on this - I really appreciate it!

markhery | February 11, 2020

It's all about the battery. An innovation to increase battery and make it more compact will make electric cars more acceptable.
https://watchseries.tube/