Forums

Schmucks in Decatur GA

Schmucks in Decatur GA

On a recent road trip I stopped at the Supercharger in Decatur, GA. It turned out to be a Tesla store and all the chargers were blocked off. The person in the store told me I could not use one and that the manager was 'out.' Fortunately I had enough range to get to another Supercharger location.

Bighorn | February 18, 2020

It’s only for service. It’s a closed location. Shouldn’t even be a Nav option.

FISHEV | February 18, 2020

"Shouldn’t even be a Nav option."

The SC's show on the map with the red bolt just like the SC's so someone just driving there not using NAV would be understandably disappointed.

hokiegir1 | February 18, 2020

And it's not in the "nearby" locations on my app as an option, despite being closer than Alpharetta...which is listed.

@hokie
Of course it’s not. Taken down last year.

yudansha™ | February 18, 2020

If the charger are in working condition and are accessible then why not let the customer charge?

Tronguy | February 18, 2020

PSA: Both FISHEV and whatever-it's-name-at-the-moment-but-once-was-Tanya are present.

FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user
names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please
take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may
suggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt
about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.

It’s a super busy service/delivery location. It was busy with inventory needing charges 4.5 years ago the first time I charged there. Lots of service centers have superchargers that aren’t listed. Plenty of Atlanta area superchargers have opened in the meantime and this is not on a main travel thoroughfare.

yudansha™ | February 18, 2020

@Tronguy Are you married to Red or the other poison pen letter writer?

hokiegir1 | February 18, 2020

It's typically blocked with service/delivery vehicles, and there is a power service issue (from the power company) at the site, which is why it was decommissioned for public use and they've added new locations to absorb the load.

mazers | February 19, 2020

Because of an accident, I rented a Model S from Enterprise. It was low when I picked it up and I called the Service Center nearby to ask if I could charge if necessary. The guy I talked to said "Of course, Tesla loves Teslas" and he told me to stop by if I needed to. He also said that the chargers in front of the store are really just destination chargers so charging is slow, but he told me off the record that the had a supercharger in the service area that they only use for cars in service. So, the OP may have just been plugging in to a destination charger anyway and been unhappy.

FISHEV | February 19, 2020

"So, the OP may have just been plugging in to a destination charger anyway and been unhappy."

Happened to me in Salt Lake City with a rented S when I went to charge it. Went to the Service Center and they have a row out front to charge Tesla's so I just pulled in and started charging. No signs not to. It was crazy slow and I was wondering why, asked the service guys inside and they directed me to the super charger a couple miles away.

Bighorn | February 19, 2020

@mazers
That’s more the norm with a restricted remote or inside one or two SCs, though Decatur has had a row of 4 superchargers since 2014.

hokiegir1 | February 19, 2020

@Bighorn - While there are 4 pedestals, sometime prior to November, 2 of the cords were removed and those 2 were taken completely out of service -- so they only have 2 "active" ones for service/deliveries for at least the last 4 months.

Bighorn | February 19, 2020

@hokie Oh wow. No wonder they don’t want the hassle of letting randos charge. Service centers often have 6 or 8 occupied during business hours. Glad I checked that Decatur (and Alpharetta) box already.

spuzzz123 | February 19, 2020

Hokie was it you that was talking to me about the Cincinnati (blue ash) service center that also has a supercharger and customer lounge? It used to be a supercharger as per onboard nav, but they’ve since removed it about a year ago. I still stop there periodically. Still works as of a couple of months ago. Wonder if they’ll eventually make that off limits like they did with Decatur here...

hokiegir1 | February 19, 2020

@spuzz - Yup! I did that one on a trip and it was right when that other local one opened, so they were both showing up at the time.

Mike UpNorth_ | February 19, 2020

The service centers around me, which have superchargers, do not show up on the app or car as available options.

Big_Ed | February 19, 2020

I pulled into the Alpharetta SC last month at about 1am. All I could find was a pair of HPWC on the sidewalk in front of the showroom. I shrugged, plugged in, and went walking in search of a restroom. Turn the corner and find two rows of superchargers.

Big_Ed | February 19, 2020

That gets me thinking. Showing Street View when you reach your destination would be cool.