Forums

Graphene battery, in the real world (finally)

Graphene battery, in the real world (finally)

https://youtu.be/dnE1nO6o-do

This is a longish video about a power brick containing graphene battery technology that’s about 3 times as powerful as phone batteries using graphene. IOW, an actual product.

Thought I’d share this with the understandably skeptic crowd here to see how this goes. I myself have been a skeptic of many new battery technologies these past several years, but this is an actual product, with the promise of being incorporated into some major brands in one year.

NKYTA | February 21, 2020

Thanks @Red. New news.

NKYTA | February 21, 2020

Skeptical, but might be a thing.

RedShift | February 21, 2020

I’ve always been skeptical of graphene. However, real products have a way of cutting down that skepticism.

tes-s | February 22, 2020

Promising: Batteries are a compromise between energy density, cost, charge cycles/logevity, charge/discharge rate, degradation and probably other things. Graphene stacks up quite favorably.

PBEndo | February 22, 2020

The most intriguing nugget from the video is that 2 atomic layers of graphene will stop a bullet and is almost completely transparent.

Graphene sounds perfect for the Cybertruck windows.

SbMD | February 22, 2020

Interesting video... thanks for posting!

Been watching to see how graphene becomes more accessible for prosumer/consumer products as well as some applications were are working on internally.

Not a bad next step, and there are some "graphene batteries" that use graphene to reduce electrode resistance. Certainly improves charging and heat profile. The real advanced graphene tech will be using them as capacitors, which promises to be a quantum leap (pun intended) in electrical storage.

NKYTA | February 22, 2020

$1k to 1 cent?!? Crazy good.

@Sb, I remember Quantum Leap. Addictive show. ;-)

SbMD | February 22, 2020

@NKYTA :-)