Forums

Normal Battery Degradation - LR AWD

Normal Battery Degradation - LR AWD

I'm curious what is everyone else seeing for battery degradation? I have a 2019 LR AWD that started with 310 miles range when fully charged. Now, exactly one year later, it's full at 297 miles, which is about a 4% loss. I've seen others posting that their older cars only experienced around 2% at the 5-6 year mark. I've only charged my batter to 100% once, and I rarely go above 90% SOC. Am I doing something wrong here, or is this normal?

Magic 8 Ball | March 22, 2020

Normal

Battery degradation is a hot potato. The range estimates given by car and app are not measurements of degradation.

wrightjason | March 22, 2020

What are they there for then? What are they measuring?

They are giving you estimated range.
Estimated range is affected by several variables, one of the larger variable is temperature.

Tesla can change the "estimate" simply by an OTA update and you probably would not know the difference. People get hung up and stressed over this but the reality is that unless your range shows down around 30% of 310 (numbers found in warranty) there is nothing to worry about. There is no standard rate of degradation for battery packs.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | March 22, 2020

What is what there for? The range estimate?
That’s there to give a driver a rough idea how far they can drive if they approximate the EPA rated efficiency.

stingray.don | March 22, 2020

The battery meter range is an estimate that is influenced by external factors such as temperature. It is also subject to calibration and extrapolation errors. It is not a measure of battery health.

https://www.tesla.com/support/range

WW_spb | March 22, 2020

Fishy fishy fishy

Orthopod | March 22, 2020

Why isn’t there a battery degradation % shown in the Tesla app? This would save endless calls for Tesla and endless threads

^ you just as good as summoned an ad for third party apps.

One reason is it would cause unnecessary concern.

because there currently is no way to precisely measure battery degradation outside of charging the battery to 100% and measuring the energy discharged to depletion. Anything else is just an estimate.

FISHEV | March 22, 2020

Here's the best way to look at your battery degradation.

https://imgur.com/yI1pBb6

This is from StatsApp for Tesla. TeslaFI.com has a similar tracker.

Then you can compare your batter degradation with other Model 3 owners with same model car. This is a companion app to StatsApp called Battery Health.

https://imgur.com/vQwhJlO

Third party apps that claim they measure degradation are worthless.

They will not stand by their "data" if you try to use it to make a claim or raise an issue with Tesla.

The data from third party apps is for entertainment only and carries no weight with Tesla.

Third party apps will not guarantee accuracy of their data and will not support you with any action you try to take using their data.

The "degradation" third party apps claim is bogus in that you can see some data points that follow prior data points show increased battery capacity. This, of course, is impossible in true degradation.

FISHEV | March 22, 2020

StatsApp for Tesal and TeslaFI.com both use the cars data to get their results. Both apps have been out of years and have been fully vetted for accuracy as much as the Model 3 itself provides accuracy.

Fully vetted by who? Not by Tesla. Tesla advises against the use of third party apps. The battery meter range estimate does not represent degradation and aggregating the data doesn’t magically make it represent degradation. Third party apps claim degradation stats solely because it sells apps.

FISHEV | March 22, 2020

"Fully vetted by who?"

100,000+ Tesla owners who use both apps. Tesla owners who dig into the car's data. You can go on the TeslaFI.com forums for more info if you have questions. And StatsApp has a spot on the app to ask questions and they respond quickly.

https://support.teslafi.com

The data from third party apps is useless, they do not guarantee accuracy. The apps have only been vetted for entertainment use, not accuracy.

The proof is in the claim by third party apps that they measure degradation and it has been shown over and over again they are not accurate with their "measurements".

FISHEV is an EVIL liar who will attempt to mislead and say anything to shed Tesla in a bad light.

FISHEV has been here for many years and was previously posting under user name EaglesPDX with the same anti-Tesla rhetoric.

Disclaimer for the OP:

Battery degradation must be expressed as how much energy (e.g., Watthours or joules) a battery is capable of storing now relative to when it was produced. While it is a contributing factor to range estimates, it is one of several variables.

Fishev/eaglespdx is a seasoned troll who can not differentiate between energy, range, power, and efficiency. Bring a salt lick if this discussion continues.

“FISHEV | March 22, 2020
"Fully vetted by who?"

100,000+ Tesla owners who use both apps.”

Not surprising you don’t understand what vetting is, i.e., having been subjected to evaluation or appraisal : critically reviewed and evaluated for official approval or acceptance

Fully vetted by their customers. That’s hilarious.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | March 23, 2020

"Fully vetted by their customers. That’s hilarious."

Yes, by the mere fact that they use it. Similarly 1.66 billion people have fully vetted facebook.

Magic 8 Ball | March 23, 2020

Surprising how many will pay for worthless data.

WW_spb | March 23, 2020

Come on guys give a Fishy a break )))

Joshan | March 23, 2020

I do not share my KitKat!

eandmjep | March 23, 2020

Without knowing much information about your M3 I can tell you for mine I have seen 1%. But in Cold the car charge drops over time but coming into my 2nd spring this drop recovers and I'm already back to my usual SOC. I charge mostly to 90% but I don't plug in every day except when it's really cold and I range charge once every month or two.

LR RWD May 2018 delivery 39,000 miles. Winter 90% 262 to 270 now back to the usual 278, 308-309 at 100% this weekend.

Your battery has not degraded, it has not been able to properly calculate a available energy.

gmr6415 | March 23, 2020

@FISHEY, According to ScanMyTesla there are 5 different SOC data streams in the CAN bus data on a model 3. Jack Rickard claims there are 4. Who is right? Which one or ones is/are StatsApp using for their calculations?

Where did StatsAPP obtain all of Tesla's algorithms in order to know how to make the same calculations from the data points that Tesla's algorithms make?

pieromontas | March 23, 2020

My car is a year old 8000 miles and fully charge i get 323miles

pieromontas | March 23, 2020

RWD

Joshan | March 23, 2020

Here is a Model 3 with 130k miles charging to over 300 miles still., its at 303 miles and not done charging yet... what degradation?

https://twitter.com/MCarbon/status/1241859340937633807