Forums

Wheel Alignment

Wheel Alignment

Hey guys,
22k miles into my P85 and I love it.

I am getting new tires today (all 4). The rear tire wear is very aggressive. I'm sure the alignment and camber help with cornering performance but I really don't need it. I'd rather have tire life.

I was looking at the alignment values here: http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-tire-rotation-care-tips

Has anyone tried a different, less aggressive camber value?

Rotating the tires did not help a lot.

jordanrichard | February 25, 2016

You don't mention which suspension you have. If you have the air ride, the camber is always changing which accelerates tire wear.

Also, how one drives plays a role in tire life.

The specific alignment values are in the owner's manual.

brandon | February 25, 2016

Forgot about that - it's the air ride suspension.

I have the specific alignment values, but I want to change them. They are too aggressive. Seeing if any other owners have experience in this.

With air ride, I can still keep it on "low" always

Arcam | February 26, 2016

That rear camber value certainly has quite a bit of negative in it, nor far off a GT-R's value! So long as you keep the toe-in the same I thing you could reduce that to -1.25, it does have quite a wide tolerance band in the settings.

brandon | February 26, 2016

Thanks @Arcam! I'll try that and let you know how it goes!

TeslaTap.com | February 26, 2016

The Air Suspension is not the cause, unless you force it to low every time you start to drive. Just got about 31K miles on my OEM set of 19" Goodyears. Even wear all around, although I did rotate every 6,000 miles and did alignments at each 12,500. Had about 2/32 left and no tire edges were bauld.

Some contributors of fast wear include:

Poor alignment
Use of soft 21" tires
Lack of rotation (which is a bigger problem if you have staggered wheels with unidirectional treads)
Fast starts (ok, we all love those)
Fast cornering (ok, also fun)
Crappy roads and potholes
Forced low air suspension all the time

aschmidtjr | February 26, 2016

I have 21' tires what would be the best alignment for long tire life? I also have air ride susp.