Forums

What happened today at the Tesla stores in Japan, China, Hong Kong?

What happened today at the Tesla stores in Japan, China, Hong Kong?

Maybe our friends in Japan, China, Hong Kong could tell us what has happened today at their local Tesla stores?

TesMD | March 31, 2016

I will be surprised if there will be any activity in China. China has its own cheap version of EV produced there and although, it is not a Tesla, I doubt that Model 3 will be in huge demand in China. Model S and X are different animal because of performance and even with that, Tesla has struggled in China to sell cars.

Captain_Zap | March 31, 2016
Red Sage ca us | March 31, 2016

Captain_Zap: Thanks for the link! I wouldn't have checked it, if not for your endorsement. Typically, the Los Angeles Times is not very nice to Tesla Motors. I have noticed that none of the local news shows here in Los Angeles are covering the Model ☰ at all this morning... That is, even with reports of lines at Tesla Store locations all over town.

danCE | March 31, 2016

The problem with China is that foreign manufactured cars are subject to a heavy import duty. So the Model S is significantly more expensive there than in other countries. EM was interviewed recently by Inside Business and he said that Tesla is not expecting significant Model 3 sales in China until they can open a local manufacturing plant there so that the cars are not subject to import duties (but of course, it has to be in partnership with a Chinese company. The protectionism in China is terrible.)

deeageux | March 31, 2016

There are cheap and cheaper BEVs in every country where Tesla operates.

LEAF and Spark EV in the USA for example.

But they are short range gimped city car POS.

Model 3's projected price is cheaper than the direct competitors, 3 Series, C Class, and A4, in China.

I have seen online pictures of very long lines in Hong Kong and Tokyo and less so in Shanghai(but still pretty good)

deeageux | March 31, 2016

There are cheap and cheaper BEVs in every country where Tesla operates.

LEAF and Spark EV in the USA for example.

But they are short range gimped city car POS.

Model 3's projected price is cheaper than the direct competitors, 3 Series, C Class, and A4, in China.

I have seen online pictures of very long lines in Hong Kong and Tokyo and less so in Shanghai(but still pretty good)