Forums

5 seat change to 6/7, Teslas motivation and who switched and why?

5 seat change to 6/7, Teslas motivation and who switched and why?

Trying to wrap my head around Teslas production strategy now that Q1 MX deliveries are known at 2400 vehicles. The press release states, “By the last full week of March, the build rate rose to 750 Model X vehicles per week.” This equates to 1650 built during prior 12 weeks (137.5 per week average)

March 11th I received an email from Tesla stating, “Right now we're producing Model X 90D with 6-seat and 7-seat configurations. If you would like to change your Model X to one of these configurations, you could take delivery in April/May”

Surprising they began producing 90D’s that early given the ‘mid-2016’ estimate and low build rate in early March.

But why offer ‘free’ config changes to the 6/7 seat P90D/90D to those confirmed with 5 seats.

If 3000 MX’s can (theoretically) be produced per month in P90D/90D with 6/7 seats, doesn’t this offer imply a significantly low purchase to reservation ratio in those configurations?

And to those who did switch from 5 to 6/7 seats to ‘help’ Tesla maximize production now that they optimized the line for that configuration and will receive in April/May (theoretically), why were you willing to switch?

If no one switched from 5 seat to 6/7, Tesla would have produced all of the pending P90D/90D 6/7 seat orders and would have to move on to next ‘most expensive/easiest/whatever’ configurations of confirmed orders, i.e. the P90D/90D 5 seat.

I am test driving 6 seat ‘prototype’ MX on Sunday at Palo Alto dealership, since my confirmed order in Jan precluded an invitation to Meet the X roadshow.

res. 9/05/14
conf. 1/18/16
90D 5 Seats all the bells and whistles

gnshaps | April 9, 2016

I received the same offer but did not switch. The 5 seat is the only config that will work with my very large dog, who rides everywhere with us. It does seem surprising that they they are on 90D already with the he low production numbers. I am just hopeful my car (similar to your config) is produced mid year as they suggested.

aesculus | April 9, 2016

I took a look at my back seats just now and I don't think you are going to gain much room by going to a five seat car, and in fact I think you will loose room.

I suspect the most room you will recapture in the 3rd row is equal to the height of the tray when it is it's lowered state based on the way the car is designed with a cross bar etc. That is maybe six inches but more like five.

Then you also have the middle seat of the second row that takes up a huge amount of space and unless you want it to block your dog from coming forward to sniff you, it's going to be much worse.

I hate to break it to VPERL but I just don't see the 5 seater being viable in just about any situation over the 6 seater. I anyone is seriously considering this they need to go see an Model X and put the tray down to its lower level and see if they can live with that space. I would also make sure you try this with a 6 seater too.

sklei | April 9, 2016

I picked up the 6 seater last week.

Unless you need to consistently travel with 5 people, the extra space is great. We have 2 small dogs and they will do really well in all the space. We have 4 kids, but mostly travel to Tahoe in 2 cars since we have multiple schedules to juggle so having room for 4 with the back seats down is plenty. The view out the back window is absolutely fine without a middle seat. I can imagine that seat would make it more difficult and maybe annoying. The rear view mirror is small - reminds me of one of my first cars in the late '70s. Great for the forward views - not as good for a full view of the back. The space in the rear is quite spacious with seats down. This is not a huge SUV like a Tahoe or Suburban, but I would rank it between a VW Touraeg and a Suburban (I have owned both). The back area is not a voluminous (high) as the Q7 (which I own) since the back slopes down more in the MX. The storage area under the floor in the back is pretty nice - bigger than I thought. I have the 6 seat Q7 and loved it - especially with the center console. I look forward to someone making a center console for the 6 seat MX - that would be a great addition - possibly removable for every situation. I purchased the towing so that I can add the rack for traveling where you might need more space (one of those boxes) or traveling with a bike/skis. Easy to see how you can have 6 people, with ski stuff in the car and the skis/boards on a rack - even if you have to rig a little. I wouldn't travel far like this, but from a ski house/hotel to the mountain - no problem!

aesculus | April 9, 2016

Easy to see how you can have 6 people, with ski stuff in the car and the skis/boards on a rack - even if you have to rig a little. I wouldn't travel far like this, but from a ski house/hotel to the mountain - no problem!

I saw this Model X again yesterday coming up to pick people up near closing time. I suspect it's someone doing just that.

sklei | April 9, 2016

Perfect picture. Can't wait. Our family is done for the year sadly. This was a great year for skiing. We took advantage! Every Day it Snows We Get Younger!

I like the look of that rack - looks like a "hinge" on it ?

vperl | April 9, 2016

All you anti - 5 seaters, are downer's

grommet | April 10, 2016

FYI: A hitch mounted ski/snowboard rack is not a great solution. Your skis, boards, bindings & rack get pummeled by dirt, salt, rocks, ice, grime, etc. Unless it's a very short trip and the weather is mild, it's a miserable experience.

There is a reason you rarely see them in use; most owners use them a few times, and then try to sell them on Craig's List. :) Sadly, there aren't a lot of easy options for the Model X.

c3 | April 10, 2016

Can someone confirm if Tesla has offered people with 5 seat configurations an opportunity to change to either the 6 or 7 seat version without the configuration change fee of $500? Thank you in advance.

vperl | April 10, 2016

Every five seater that goes 6-7, gives Tesla 3-4 k a vehicle extra.

Not interested. Five seater is great, the MX Probably will have camera side mirrors by the time my delivery shows up.

jpcompetello | April 10, 2016

There is a thread on the $500 reconfiguration fee--for c3

jestah | April 11, 2016

@c3 yes the offer waives the $500 change fee and allows any other changes without fees as long as changing to 6/7 seat P90D/90D

georgehawley.fl.us | April 11, 2016

There must be a profit motive here. There is more labor and materials in the 7 seat version because they have to put in a third row. Isn't the five seater just a seven seater without the third row? How hard is it to leave out the third row?

vperl | April 11, 2016

You still pay up to Four thousand $ more

Tesla really wants the cash, they are not doing out of ki dness, they are putting one in a position to wait or pay a ransom to get your X sooner

jestah | May 4, 2016

Tesla called today from Fremont factory asking if I was still interested in switching after test driving the 6 seater.

I would enjoy 'accelerated delivery' if I switched to 6/7 and that production of 5 seats 'have not been scheduled"

I said I would wait it out

vperl | May 4, 2016

Thank-you, and your 4k in your pocket thanks you

jon | May 5, 2016

It's not just a 6-7 seater minus third row. It is a one zone AC/heat/vent versus 2 zone in the 6-7 seater. Hope one zone AC can keep up in Colorado summers and winters. I too didn't take bait to upgrade. I'm with viper, just waiting for you early beta testers to get my "flawless" VIN in "mid-2016"

vperl | May 5, 2016

Yes, with the video side mirrors, 110 kW battery, and a ice cream cone with sprinkles

All you 6-7 seaters be jealous

vperl | May 5, 2016

Yes, with the video side mirrors, 110 kW battery, and a ice cream cone with sprinkles

All you 6-7 seaters be jealous

jon | May 5, 2016

Vperl remind me of your other configs...premium? Performance? Ludicrous? When did you confirm order? And have you heard anything on VIN assignment?

jon | May 5, 2016

+/- sunshade?

vperl | May 5, 2016

P 90DL. Five seat

Confirmed same day, first week Jan.

No nothing on My Tesla page

Do not expect any change till earliest Aug 2016

But in reality, end of September - October

I will continue to be happy.

110 kW battery, video side mirrors, and my ice cream cone with sprinkles.

Do not be jealous, Be Happy

vperl | May 5, 2016

Yes, with premium sound, towing, and everything else except 22 " wheels . stock 20" tires and wheels.
Multi-Coat red, black premium inside.

Asked for ejection seat for back seat drivers, that maybe the reason for the actual delivery time to be delayed.

Be Happy, I am

evlnte | May 5, 2016

Yes, I upgraded due to motivation for earlier delivery. Yes, change fee was waived. Upgrade fee was added to config. And No, I didn't get my car late April. Then my DS emailed to say it will go into "production" mid-May! Oh, well.

jon | May 5, 2016

Agree vperl we are getting closer and "happier"
If I'm your special hero I'll start calling you Bobby (mcFerrin). N'est-ca Pas?

vperl | May 5, 2016

"Don't worry."

vperl | May 6, 2016

Five seats

vperl | May 6, 2016

Sprinkles

jon | May 7, 2016

Thanks Bobby

vperl | May 7, 2016

Fred

vperl | May 8, 2016

Correct, Paul

brando | May 9, 2016

Tarps are cheap, get a cover for those stormy days. That is one of the primary reasons for tarps, to protect shit - I mean your priceless objects.

vperl | May 9, 2016

Don't worry
Be happy®

brando | May 9, 2016

oops wrong thread - sorry (about exterior rear rack being hard on equipment in bad weather)

brando | May 9, 2016

So this is the right thread - hey get a tarp

====================
grommet | April 10, 2016

FYI: A hitch mounted ski/snowboard rack is not a great solution. Your skis, boards, bindings & rack get pummeled by dirt, salt, rocks, ice, grime, etc. Unless it's a very short trip and the weather is mild, it's a miserable experience.

There is a reason you rarely see them in use; most owners use them a few times, and then try to sell them on Craig's List. :) Sadly, there aren't a lot of easy options for the Model X.
================================================

Easy Option for Model X -

Tarps are cheap, get a cover for those stormy days. That is one of the primary reasons for tarps, to protect shit - I mean your priceless objects.

aesculus | May 9, 2016

And good luck parking a Model X in a ski area parking lot with a rear hitch. They are already long enough and if your rear sticks out that far you are going to inhibit traffic and potentially get your hitch rack taken off.

vperl | May 10, 2016

Touchie my X, you get touched back.

Kisses, sprinkles

senoto | May 10, 2016

I'm happy to upgrade. Six and Seven seater make sense for a SUV. $3000,00 won't break me and instead of waiting till 2017, my car is in production as I write. Thanks Elon, If I had waited another 6 or 8 months more, sure there would be upgrades but I could wait another 10 years and maybe he'll have them flying.

pvetesla | May 10, 2016

Upgraded to SAS plus added the tow package. I kinda wanted the tow but didn't want to spend the money on SAS. So when they gave me the option for SAS at 1/2 price how could I pass it up.

Plus they are putting into production for a June/July delivery after this Friday (the deadline for the 1/2 off deal)

jestah | May 20, 2016

Did anyone who switched early on for "April/May delivery" receive their MX in April/May or plan to pick up in the next 10 days?

vperl | May 20, 2016

Good news, the Five seater will be perfect when they arrive with all the upgrades, in late January 2017 .

Another, just a short time away.

Be Happy
Don't Worry

vperl | May 21, 2016

Be Happy
Don't worry

ernie | May 21, 2016

Repetitive, nonsensible and unhelpful posts are minus zeroth in importance and perhaps serve to only calm the nerves of the afflicted compulsive poster who must meet his emotional needs quota for the day. I am a huge fan of the Occam Razor concept and Bertrand Russell’s comment: “Say everything in the smallest number of words in which it can be said clearly”. I am also a fan of keeping my fingers off the keyboard if I can’t envision what I type is going to be relevant. Is this clear, or do I have to say more? I thought we were all grown up women and men: I suspect some of us are stuck in either the anal or oral stage. Oops, I have grown anal retentive about my X: GUILTY!

Is there the remote possibility that you can put brakes on your compulsion? I will make every effort to make my posts relevant and if I stray, I expect to be called out. Just do it kindly!!!! This is a call for reason…if it exists.

Triggerplz | May 21, 2016

Ernie plus 1

vperl | May 21, 2016

The two above posts are a group of Tesla Trolls, , they even have a thread bragging they are trolls.

I do not follow them around. But, as you can see if you wish .. they are much like children following and posting negatives about me.

These trolls are pathologically sick. Beware.

Do not respond to the sickness they spew.

Meanwhile,
Be Happy
Don't Worry

Triggerplz | May 21, 2016

LMAO

lilbean | May 21, 2016

i see you are stalking us again ROTFFLMFAODB