Forums

tbouquet finally gets his Model X

tbouquet finally gets his Model X

Love it love it! 90D, blue with 6 ultra white seats, VIN 81xx, all the options. It's totally perfect in every way so far, drives like a dream, and the delivery experience was fast and pleasant. Communications were good throughout.

I should not say "finally"... I ordered on May 26 and picked up July 7, so it was pretty quick! Just making fun of that other thread. I have no sexy pictures so probably won't get so many responses. But I'm pleased to report that we have flapped the wings and cycled the front doors on all kinds of slopes and it all just works beautifully so far. Thank you early adopters!!!

lilbean | July 8, 2016

Congrats to you tbouquet! Yay!

rossRallen | July 8, 2016

Wow! That was quick. I hope you enjoy your X! It's quite a ride. Nothing like it.

So, um, what about the 30,000 paid reservations circa September '15? If Tesla has settled into build on-order at VIN 8100 with ~ 1200 Sigs, is that queue is empty except for 5-seaters? Cancellations or switches to MS?

Madatgascar | July 8, 2016

Thanks lilbean! I'm pretty excited - big plans for this weekend. Offroad racing, hauling plywood, then off to the automatic car wash....

@rossRallen, maybe there were 20,000 75's? Who knows?

elguapo | July 8, 2016

@rossRallen Lack of real demand. That's what happened. We shall see with the 75s, but my prediction has always been that X demand will be quite low compared to S. Just a really unique (and expensive) vehicle. More so than the S. But that's for a different thread.

Enjoy the car!!!!

socalsam | July 8, 2016

Hauling plywood!! So awesome!

socalsam | July 8, 2016

Hauling plywood!! So awesome!

lilbean | July 8, 2016

Ttbouquet, great bucket list! Love it! Keep us posted on how many sheets of plywood fit! :-D

carlk | July 8, 2016

Congrats. Blue with ultra white is so cool!

Ankit Mishra | July 8, 2016

@tbouquet
Congrats!!
I disagree with the lack of demand theory.

carlk | July 8, 2016

Remember 30K, I actually thoght it's 25K, is worldwide reservation number. Tesla is only starting to ship outside the US.

ernie | July 8, 2016

I believe what we are seeing is not "BUYER'S REMORSE" but "RESERVATION REMORSE". Probably too simplistic an answer but no doubt a greater percentage than Tesla anticipated. I have NO REMORSE!!!

socalsam | July 8, 2016

Lots of people have cancelled. I personally know of 3. Either that or the reservation number tesla gave was complete bs.

It's a shame. They are missing out on a great vehicle!

Gosh darn it this plywood won't fit. What kind of SUV is this?! No wonder so many cancellations.

lilbean | July 8, 2016

I know. I just have to tie the plywood to my roof and drive really slowly.

teslagiddy | July 8, 2016

Plywood? What were you thinking? The S is the stuff hauler. The X is the people hauler.

lilbean | July 8, 2016

I just have to make do with what I have :)

socalsam | July 8, 2016

PLYWOOD!!!!!!

siliconhammer | July 8, 2016

I ordered my 75 in April and have a build week scheduled for August 8 so I don't think 75s account for much backlog. My VIN is 124xx, issued on 6/24 and the VINs issued this week are in the low 14xxx range. Either a lot of cancellations, a huge backlog of 5 seaters or many reservation holders waiting to configure until the platform is bug-free. Maybe a combination of issues.

siliconhammer | July 8, 2016

I plan to just have Home Depot grind my plywood to sawdust and I will pour it in the frunk and reconstitute it at home.

lilbean | July 8, 2016

Hahaha. Oh my! So funny!!! Brilliant! I think I'll have them slice it lengthwise and prop it up between my second row six seater. That way I can fit lots of sheets. The frunk idea may fit more sheets though. We've got lots of options.

@siliconhammer, technically that would be particle board, not plywood.
Or you could put it through a wood chipper, pour it in the sub trunk, and make OSB at home.
If you can afford a Model X you can afford tongue in groove flooring, carried @lilbean's way.

Here's some trivia - little surprises from the first full day:
1. Underneath the front bumper below the driver's side headlight there is a piece of plastic that can be popped off to expose a red loop of rope which is a manual frunk release, allowing emergency access to the fuse box.
2. Windshield wiper fluid sprays out of the wiper stalk - hadn't seen that before.
3. They won't let me put on Opticoat because I leased the car - no changes that can't be undone.

lilbean | July 8, 2016

No Opticoat allowed? That's just silly.

teslagiddy | July 9, 2016

How about securing the plywood to the underbelly of the car and raise the ride height?

lilbean | July 9, 2016

Genius! We could even install a plywood rack down there! You solved the conundrum! Awesome :)

Madatgascar | July 9, 2016

@socalsam, help! My thread has been hijacked by all this plywood nonsense!

Day 3 update: We named it Pegasus. She does get a lot of attention. By now people have seen it and know about it, so they want to see the FWD work up close. Flap flap flap, lots of cycles, they stop short when they are supposed to, and so far have not been seeing any ghosts. Front doors are an acquired taste, but we are learning. Fun!!!

lilbean | July 9, 2016

Ok. I'll stop. Sorry tbouquet :)

Red Sage ca us | July 9, 2016

Sheetrock, plywood, 2x4s, 2x6s, skis, kayaks... Where's the UTILITY?

generic | July 9, 2016

The MX is not really an SUV but more of a superSport Van IMO. I wish the 2nd row folded but I still love the car. Perhaps if you could drive with the FWD up, you could stack the plywood or kayaks in the space between them :D

Congrats tbouquet - I agonized over the blue/white combo and ended up with red/tan. If only I could afford two so I could tailor the color to my mood that day.

lilbean | July 9, 2016

@tbouquet - I scrolled up and noticed you started the plywood derailment :-) it's all good.

@lilbean, yeah, I guess I did. Should have gone for the double entendres like Eva's thread. If we're gonna derail....

lilbean | July 9, 2016

@tbouquet :-)

Now for the not so good observations. Having some issues with the rear lift gate. Coming back to the X after grocery shopping, we found the lift gate open about 4 inches, just sitting like that in the parking lot. We raised it all the way up and were loading groceries when suddenly it started closing on my wife, and stopped with a loud beep when it bonked her head. Then we closed it all the way, and it immediately popped open just a few inches. Cycled it all the way up and down, and it latched, but later when unloading groceries at home the same thing happened. Pretty sure the fob was not getting squeezed inadvertently, but we will keep watching this.

My spoiler is fixed in the up position, but there is still a depression in the metal below where a descended active spoiler would nest in. This trough is always visible and is already starting to collect debris that is hard to remove. Looks like it will hold water too. I'm not a fan of that. They should sculpt a smooth hatch that is more aerodynamic and easier to clean for cars with a fixed spoiler.

lilbean | July 9, 2016

That is strange trunk behavior. I totally agree about the spoiler. It is nearly impossible to remove debris in that trough between the metal and the glass.

ernie | July 9, 2016

For debris removal I first spray with city water pressure through a Spotless Water De-ionizing system:

http://www.costco.com/CR-SPOTLESS-De-Ionizing-Spotless-Water-System%e2%8...
Then if any fir tree needles remain, a wood dental pick and soft bristle tooth brush will move them out. Shop vac to a debris free trough if you need to...or just wipe them away.

The de-ionizing makes for a no spot finish even if you do not wipe off the water. Always use a good grade of car wash solution such as Optimum. You can wash a car with 4-5 gallons of water...or about 3.5 toilet flushes. Unless you have Xpel or other protector I do not like the non-water flushing systems. There is just too much abrasion if you do not lubricate with water. http://www.costco.com/CR-SPOTLESS-De-Ionizing-Spotless-Water-System%e2%8...

lilbean | July 9, 2016

@ernie - Thanks! I like the shop vac idea. I can't do the water system because of the CA drought.

elguapo | July 10, 2016

@ernie I am still considering the water system. It's also on Amazon. Some reviewers have said if it isn't used weekly, it gets algae, etc. I don't want another contraption to take apart and clean. How easy is maintenance?

jlxjl | July 10, 2016

I have my 75D for three weeks now and also experienced all doors closing, including the trunk by themselves. I'm sure I did not press the top of the fob which appears to be the only remote command to close all doors and lock the car. I've even tried the iPhone app (which was open at the time it happened) thinking that the lock button on the app could have caused this. I tried this with the doors open, but the car responded with just flashing blinkers and it did not close the doors.

Uncle Paul | July 13, 2016

Maybe while Tesla is redesigning the 5 seater, they can also redesign an integrated, not moveable spoiler that will address the necessary aerodynamics, but also make it possible to drive the Model X through a car wash, like other vehicles.

ernie | July 13, 2016

@elguapo...algae and mold are more of a problem than most homeowners realize. Keurig "type" coffee makers with their side storage and any household water filter pitcher system including Zero, Brita and others all will develop a light green slime mold if not periodically cleaned thoroughly and disinfected with bleach. Most do not realize that it takes bleach at least 20 minutes to kill.

The solution is to use it weekly or at least bi-weekly to wash your X! There is less apt to be a mold buildup in that the environment inside the filters is largely anaerobic as it is filled with water.

I have not taken mine apart to clean it as I have not had it that long and I believe the installed meter will register if there is mold. Taking it apart to clean would take about half an hour to remove, wipe with bleach and spray bleach water back into the unit to let sit for 20 minutes, then rinse and reinstall. You can also get a Zero tester available at Amazon, Target, etc.

elguapo | July 13, 2016

@ernie Thanks for the info - very helpful. Unlike others, I DO clean our Keurig regularly. That thing gets nasty!

Sorry to off topic @tbouquet

Madatgascar | July 13, 2016

To update an earlier post - after initially being told I could not Opticoat my leased Model X, I have now been given permission - all is good. Really enjoying the ride.

lilbean | July 13, 2016

@tbouquet- what do you think about purchasing it after the lease?

Madatgascar | July 13, 2016

@lilbean, that's when my Model 3 will be arriving, and my need for a six seater diminishes. So I think I will turn it in. I'm also hedging my bets in case the doors turn on me; with the lease I have an easier out.

lilbean | July 13, 2016

@tbouquet- Smart move. When I have problems, I cringe because I didn't lease it.

vperl | July 14, 2016

Just ride your tricycle, beanny

teslagiddy | July 14, 2016

@v,
Given that you're still waiting for your 5 seater, you're the one who's going to be riding your tricycle (or walking). At least it's good exercise.

Madatgascar | July 14, 2016

This is actually the first car I've ever leased, and it may be my favorite so far. But these days technology seems to be moving so fast, I'm pretty sure I will want the next big thing in 3 years.

Madatgascar | July 14, 2016

Here's another observation. When AP pushed out OTA to my Model S, I spent hours reading the release notes and months gradually experimenting with its use until I determined how much I could trust it. When I picked up the Model X, it was pretty much "two clicks of this stalk activates AutoPilot," something about keeping my hands on the wheel, and I was off. Granted, they knew I was coming from an AP Model S so they probably glossed over the usual rigamarole. I think current buyers could get the impression the system has been fully vetted by now and engage it in the wrong places. I think they should have you watch a video that graphically shows you what AP does and doesn't do, and what the driver's responsibility is.

Pages