Forums

Powerwall 2 - NO Self Install ?

Powerwall 2 - NO Self Install ?

if You read the Pre-Order Contract... clearly states it must be installed (after Site Visit)by a Certified Installer... WHY ??
how about for OFF-Grid / Self Install ? Not interested in NET-Metering etc. Self-Install & Self-Sustained, is what I want.
I understand that is not the majority of Folks... but at least it should be an Option.

Efontana | October 29, 2016

I think they want to make sure the anti-islanding functions are not defeated (or something like that). I don't know how it connects to the main panel - one 40 amp breaker per?

mickie | October 29, 2016

OFF GRID!
My husband is an electrician and has installed, maintained our off-grid solar system for years. He has also installed other solar systems for people. Why do I have to pay $1000 (!!!! ridiculous) to have this installed? It's just electricity, not magic mystery science.
I will buy TODAY if we can install, otherwise I'll just stick with our Trojan solar batteries.

rahlquist | October 29, 2016

The mandatory install is likely for Tesla's protection. Morally, legally and to make sure nothing is done wrong that will result in bogus warranty claims. While there are plenty of pro's that can do a self install, there is likely just as many people who THINK they know wtf they are doing that would wire it wrong, put the batteries in a compromised location etc. The amount of batteries involved here, if there were a problem, it could easily burn a large structure down with no stopping it. I'd be willing to bet that Tesla will offer training to install them to qualified professionals (they will need installers after all).

Red Sage ca us | October 30, 2016

It may not be Rocket Surgery, but Tesla still has to protect themselves. I believe they have been super duper extra special careful with pretty much everything they do ever since someone claimed that 'the car burned down my garage' once upon a time. This is also why there are no publicly available service manuals for their cars. When properly trained personnel do the work, and documents every step along the installation as planned ahead of time, Tesla is less likely to be sued by someone if something goes wrong. There are a LOT of people who will claim they are do-it-yourselfers and that they can handle it just fine and it shouldn't be a problem and blah, blah, blah... But those are the exact same folk who will take absolutely ZERO responsibility when they [FOUL] things up and will make sure to call the Lemon Lawyer and the Channel 5 News Consumer Action Reporter to express their dismay at the 'poor service' they received from Tesla... While pointing out how their poor dog lost an eye and a testicle and how that all could have been avoided if only they had been warned...

Tesla Motors -- Annual Report
ANNUAL REPORT PURSUANT TO SECTION 13 OR 15(d) OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934
For the fiscal year ended December 31, 2012
Item 1A -- Risk Factors
If our vehicle owners customize our vehicles or change the charging infrastructure with aftermarket products, the vehicle may not operate properly, which could harm our business.
Automobile enthusiasts may seek to "hack" our vehicles to modify its performance which could compromise vehicle safety systems. Also, we are aware of customers who have customized their vehicles with after-market parts that may compromise driver safety. For example, some customers have installed seats that elevate the driver such that airbag and other safety systems could be compromised. Other customers have changed wheels and tires, while others have installed large speaker systems that may impact the electrical systems of the vehicle. We have not tested, nor do we endorse, such changes or products. In addition, customer use of improper external cabling or unsafe charging outlets can expose our customers to injury from high voltage electricity. Such unauthorized modifications could reduce the safety of our vehicles and any injuries resulting from such modifications could result in adverse publicity which would negatively affect our brand and harm our business, prospects, financial condition and operating results.

http://ir.tesla.com/secfiling.cfm?filingid=1193125-13-96241&cik=#D452995...

grega | October 30, 2016

Is it a flat $1000 to install? Or does it vary significantly with your power/layout?

Ken.montalvo | March 20, 2020

I recently spoke to a TESLA rep and the install price was $3500!!! I am an electrical engineer but still they wouldn't honor the warranty if I install it myself. I also asked about getting certified but the person didn't know if private individuals can apply for certification. I went to the site an applied but under company name I put "None". I haven't received a response yet. The only other option is to get someone you know and is certified to help out.

bp | March 21, 2020

Depending upon a number of factors, installation of the first PowerWall could require quite a bit of work (location of PowerWall, floor/wall mount, Backup Gateway, breaker panel modifications, connection to grid/house power, getting approvals from HOA/utility, ...).

It's understandable Tesla would want a Tesla authorized (and trained) installer.

We installed 44 solar panels and 4 PowerWalls a few months ago, and there was quite a bit of work involved in mounting the PowerWalls, running conduit, relocating current breaker panel cabling, connecting to grid power, plus getting our local HOA approval and getting PTO to turn on the system.

jimglas | March 21, 2020

thats a BIG system!

TeslaTap.com | March 21, 2020

@bp - same here. I like DIY projects and have done major house electrical work with an upgrade from 100 amp to 200 amp service with total replacements of both breaker and meter panels and rewiring about half the house - all to code. Still watching them install the Powerwalls, this is no DIY project. The electrical work would have taxed my abilities and lifting the 350 lb Powerwalls onto the wall was interesting (they use a custom-designed hand-cranked lift). I'm pleased with the installation work they did - very competent and friendly workers on my job.

manosoul177 | March 22, 2020

Powewall App
When my PV system is generating excess to my current house demand the Power Flow screen never shows power flowing back to the grid. Instead it shows both the excess gen and the current house demand flowing to the house. The utility net meter shows a substantial amount of energy has been delivered back to the grid. Does anybody have an idea as to why the Power Flow screen never displays power going to the grid even though the net meter indicates a substantial amount has in fact been delivered to the grid?
Thanks,
Gayland

Hey Powerwall installers can you answer my question about the Powerwall App?
When my PV system is generating excess to my current house demand the Power Flow screen never shows power flowing back to the grid. Instead it shows both the excess gen and the current house demand flowing to the house. The utility net meter shows a substantial amount of energy has been delivered back to the grid. Does anybody have an idea as to why the Power Flow screen never displays power going to the grid even though the net meter indicates a substantial amount has in fact been delivered to the grid?
Thanks,
Gayland

Yodrak. | March 22, 2020

"I am an electrical engineer ..."

What kind of electrical engineer? It's a broad field.

JPPTM | March 22, 2020

mansoul--your installer did not install the Neurio current transformer correctly. They installed them backwards. If I understand correctly, Tesla Powerwall Support can fix this remotely.

Thank you JPPTM. I will check with Support to see if they can fix the problem.