Forums

Tesla NZ

Tesla NZ

New Zealand is a wonderful place and produces 80% of its electricity from renewable resources though it's far from green when it comes to transport. A national network of just 17 supercharger stations would allow one to travel anywhere in NZ in a base Model 3 and you couldn't realistically avoid a supercharger if you tried. With tourists travelling approximately 1-1.5 billion kilometres annually by car in NZ is this the perfect opportunity for Tesla?

johndoeeyed | December 4, 2016

Tesla is going to have Auckland to Wellington covered in 2017.
They have also said that NZ will be 100% covered.

georgehawley.fl.us | December 4, 2016

Is there a ferry between Wellington and somewhere on the South Island?

Bighorn | December 4, 2016

@george
Yes, from Picton.

Ross1 | December 4, 2016

it sank

Watt fun | December 6, 2016

About 5 sailings a day during the summer season which is now. About three and a half hours. Fare is about $75 NZ each way, less for 60+ and kids, vehicles are something like $175 for a low sedan, and goes up and up for long and higher vehicles. Return trip for 2 adult and car about $500 NZ, or about $350 US.

brando | December 6, 2016

Perhaps NZ could figure out a plan/policy/encouragement for electric car rentals. Perhaps a more local plan would be better, say Aukland could come up with something? Or even the existing car rental businesses? Get creative. How about environmental groups, local banks/credit Union, chamber of commerce, organize zero interest loans for car rental companies to buy electric and the Ferry to haul electric vehicles for free?

Jump start the electrification of transport in NZ. Go for it Ross.

johndoeeyed | December 6, 2016

The New Zealand government has no interest in financially encouraging electric cars.
Ross is in Australia, which is not part of New Zealand.

Watt fun | December 7, 2016

In an interesting way, New Zealand should encourage electric vehicles.

This is the interesting bit about crude oil production in NZ (limited) and crude oil usage in NZ. There is one and only one refinery, at Marsden Point in the North Island.

"The refinery uses a medium-sour blend of crude oil, nearly all of which is imported. Most crude oil produced in New Zealand is light-sweet and is exported to refineries in Australia. Marsden Point produces 70 per cent of New Zealand's refined oil needs, with the rest being imported from Singapore, Australia and South Korea."

NZ crude oil can't be processed in NZ, it is exported. Almost all of the gasoline and distillate (diesel) if refined from imported oil, which is the only oil Marsden Point can process.

So...there is this big scary trade-off. IF they electrify as a national policy, there would be a huge national balance of payments saving in importing crude oil, at a potential loss of many refinery jobs. Or, keep importing oil and refining it saving the jobs, and shipping the output increasingly to other markets, so NZ would export domestic sweet crude and 'custom work' refined products made from imported sour crude, and still import up to 30% of refined product from regional countries (Singapore, Australia and South Korea) Timing is crucial of the implementation and there could be many many bumpy points on the way. The fact that Australia is currently a supplier of refined product to NZ makes it unlikely that exporting refined product TO Australia would be a sure thing. The vehicles themselves are irrelevant as no cars are manufactured/assembled in NZ any more, and ditto really for Australia since all local content factories are closed or closing (ie Toyota, Holden Ford) in Australia, and therefore nothing will be manufactured/assembled under the cross Tasmin trade agreement between AU and NZ, so no more dogs in the hunt for either country. So, no more natural and national bias towards gasoline/diesel vehicles.

Not dealing with it is less of a headache for the NZ government than dealing with it. Besides, I got the feeling that National generally speaking was generally more focused than Labour on carbon-fuel answers. The coal file etc. Although ..."Following the election of the reformist Fourth Labour Government in 1984, the Petroleum Sector Reform Act was introduced. This Act deregulated the petroleum industry, with 1,500 workers expected to lose their jobs. The Refinery assets were transferred by the Government to the New Zealand Refining Company Limited, a consortium of the five major petrol retailers. The Government injected $80 million to enable the company to adapt to the new environment. A major efficiency drive was launched to cut operating costs."...which sounds distinctly 'New Labour-ish' to me. (sell off public ownership of assets to private interests, pay them to take it away, and lose jobs in the process)

johndoeeyed | December 7, 2016

New Zealand should encourage electric vehicles, but it does not.
The government does encourage new fossil fuel exploration and extraction though.

ercolano | December 16, 2016

The ferry journey between the north and South Island would be great time to charge your electric car.Is this done in other countries?

brando | December 18, 2016

Solar, wind, insulation upgrades, increasing efficiency of buildings, factories, homes, all of these create jobs.
NZ could keep refinery going and increase EXPORTS, why not?

Electrification will help protect NZ pristine environment, and help tourism. Also it will lower costs, or perhaps all electricity is produced with hydro already? Anyway, not using oil will bring costs down. NZ could start with all rental cars going electric.

johndoeeyed | December 18, 2016

@brando
New Zealand does not have a 'pristine' environment.
For instance, more than half of our waterways are unsafe to swim in.
New Zealand could do all sorts of things of benefit to the economy and the environment, but the current government has no interest in doing them.

SCCRENDO | December 18, 2016

@johdoeeyed. Are you prepared to provide us with links to educate us?

@SCCRENDO
I have been through this with you before, just recently on this forum.
Educate yourself; it is very easy to do so.

@Bighorn. Thanks
@Johndoe. Yes I know we have been through this before. And as a New Zealander I would hope you have some knowledge. But your statements contradict what I understood and what Bighorn has posted. That you refuse to provide data to support your statements I guess I need to go with Bighorn on this. This is just my personal opinion. And sure I know that you are not obligated to provide any data. I am just trying to establish the credibility of your data.

@SCCRENDO
Bighorn posted about one specific lake. Of course, it does not represent the norm.
Don't be so lazy. Try googling the very obvious 'Half New Zealand waterways polluted'.
You obviously did not even bother to do any research at all. You are not trying to 'trying to establish the credibility of your data' or you would have made the minimal effort required. Since this is the second time you have tried the same tactic, you are being a tiresome troll.

@SCCRENDO
In case I have not made it obvious in my last post: It would be appreciated if you would pull your head in.
PS: Please bother to google what I suggested, and read it.

@Johndoe. Thank you. Was it that hard? I guess it's tough for you to be pleasant about anything.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_pollution_in_New_Zealand

@SCCRENDO
As I have already said, we have gone through this before, and only just recently.
You failed to do your own research then, you failed to do your own research this time, yet both times told me to supply you with the data.
I am not your teacher. You are not my master.

Ross1 | December 18, 2016

New Zealand waterways are pristine compared with the rest of the world.
However as JD says, they are not safe to swim in.
There are three reasons for this:
1: There are so many tourist jet boat enterprises that you are likely to get mown down by a boat full of American action tourists.
2: The rivers are all bulging full of huge trout (fish to you) which are not native to NZ but rather imported from (my) Tasmania.
3: There are also a bunch of possums there which were imported from Australia and have no predator in NZ, except restaurants and possum/mink weavers. We in AUS were so glad to get rid of some, although here they are still a protected species. (Google: brushtail possum, ringtail possum). So it is curious (amusing) to find NZers selling possum and trout product back to Australians.
They eat all your fruit, wee all over your things in the garage, and are all over the roof at night, mating and stuff, worse than @ Silver.They are almost unkillable, another story for another time.

New Zealand waterways are NOT pristine compared with the rest of the world.
Do some research, and you will find, for instance, that Australia is much better than New Zealand.

Ross1 | December 19, 2016

OK. I am arriving there in April. Again.

Ross1 | December 19, 2016

Glad JD agreed with my other 3 observations.
It is nice to agree.

johndoeeyed | December 19, 2016

Lack of expressed disagreement does not equate to agreement

SCCRENDO | December 19, 2016

@Johndoe. If you were my teacher I would switch schools. But that is besides the point. When you take part in an open forum and make statements don't you think it is ok for other posters to ask for evidence. It is your choice how you respond. However without any documentation and your obnoxious response to any question one cannot be blamed for assuming your statements to just be pompous pronouncements.

bigd | December 19, 2016

SCCRENDO (HIGH FIVE) you are now in the called a troll by Johndoe club. Welcome aboard brother :-)

SCCRENDO | December 19, 2016

@bigd. Not sure whether to be pleased or not. But as you have noted insults need to be taken from whence they come. If I get insulted by someone I respect I take it seriously. I seemed to have picked a forum where many like to target me. Some have even resorted to stalking. And seem to expend a lot of time and effort on their "insults". You wish they would expend half the effort just dealing with facts. In general these "insults" tend to reflect more negatively on the insulter than the insultee.Well at least this time I got to learn something about New Zealand.

@Ross. What does possum steak taste like??

Silver2K | December 19, 2016

@SCCRENDO
As I have already said, we have gone through this before, and only just recently.
You failed to do your own research then, you failed to do your own research this time, yet both times told me to supply you with the data.
I am not your teacher. You are not my master.

---------------------------------------------------

Most people are here to teach, share and learn. That's what a forum is about and if you cant do any of those, then you should move on

Bighorn | December 19, 2016

@Ross
Most of the "pollution" in some NZ rivers is the result of run off from dairy farms, both bovine excrement and fertilizer. Obviously, any kiwi who is not a vegan does not care about their children and grandchildren or the whole wide world. Hope those cheese eaters are proud of themselves!

Mel. | December 19, 2016

Google " polluted waterways of New Zeland".

georgehawley.fl.us | December 19, 2016

Not to mention the contribution of NZ livestock to atmospheric methane...

@SilverP85plus
You have a long history of trolling on this forum.
You are not here to learn. You are here to troll.

Silver2K | December 19, 2016

@SilverP85plus
You have a long history of trolling on this forum.
You are not here to learn. You are here to troll.
------------------
oooh something new from.... oh nvm. the response is similar to a form letter. well, at least you have copy and paste down pat

Dear Mr SilverP85plus. This is not a form letter. It is written specifically for you. You are a troll. Perhaps you could find something better to do with your time. With sincerity. Me.

johndoeeyed | December 31, 2016

The first 3 planned superchargers in NZ have disappeared from the map. Odd.

Silver2K | January 1, 2017

borrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

click on 2017 cutie pie

johndoeeyed | January 1, 2017

@SilverP85plus
My post will be of interest to Tesla buyers in New Zealand.
Your post is not of interest to anybody, but is pure self-indulgent trolling, as usual.

I Heart You