Forums

360 Degree Monitoring of Cars in Driving Display

360 Degree Monitoring of Cars in Driving Display

When I are driving I have a view of little character cars displayed for the front drivers panel for cars in front of you but not cars to your side or rear. My model X does not have the newer side cameras, is it possible to have this view with the hardware currently on my car? It would make for a much safer car and I feel decrease the accident risk. It seems it would be much smarter and make sense to have the car in the center of the display with a 360 degree view of surrounding cars then have the car at the bottom with only a limited 100 degree view.

Osu18 | January 5, 2017

Yes, you will pr0bably see it with the upcoming update, but sides and front not rear.

burdogg | January 5, 2017

Not sure if they will do this for those of us with older hardware cars (ie AP 1.0) it would have to rely on the short range sensors and it might not be enough to give a 100% true reading and therefore could lead to accidents. So I personally don't see it happening for AP 1.0.

elguapo | January 5, 2017

It is the radar that does that as the US sensors can't "see" far enough to be useful. If someone does get too close to you on side, you'll see it through the yellow or red marker showing what the US sensors are "seeing".

So, unless AP 2.0 has another radar (I don't believe it does, that view of cars ahead of you won't be able to MORÉ than that.

burdogg | January 5, 2017

elguapo - don't you think though the new AP 2.0 cameras and system will be able to "see" cars and know that? I would have to relook at the demo driving they showed, it seems like the cameras can see and differentiate different objects?