Forums

High Milage

High Milage

Hi Guys

I'm in the UK and currently drive 30,000 miles per year as the S model is more than I would normally spend on my car (my go to car is the Eclass at 45k here in the uk) so I have a question for current owners

Does anyone know if these cars can do 150,to 200,000 miles?

I normally keep my car for three years however The way I see it I will still be driving the future in five years anyway.so I can go for longer cheaper finance if the car can take the miles

Your thoughts please guys

SamO | June 28, 2017

@craig,

You'll likely get lots of personal anecdotes with owners here routinely surpassing 100,000 miles. The highest use case I know is the Tesloop fleet, with one car recording 200,000 miles in ~3 years. https://tesloop.com/

I've got 80k miles in just under 4 years and just returned from the U.K on holiday where the Uber drivers are clamoring for Model 3. Many more knew about Tesla, understood the cost-benefit of electricity vs gasoline/diesel.

They were spending £500 per month, almost completely offsetting the cost the car payment.

craig.lonie | June 28, 2017

Hi and how is the car feeling at 80k is it driving well or feeling worn out is the interior and the seats still fresh ish

Hi and how is the car feeling at 80k is it driving well or feeling worn out is the interior and the seats still fresh ish

SamO | June 28, 2017

Car is still looks and feels amazing. Could not recommend more highly. Overall excellent car for high miles. I've done 7500 miles over 10 days and never felt better.

thanks samO

SamO | June 28, 2017

Check out this thread. It has lots of answers.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/how-use-your-tesla-and-forum

georgehawley.fl.us | June 28, 2017

Save money and buy a loaner MS from Tesla. The mileage will be low enough not to matter, the price will be better and you will get a new car warranty. Don't know about tax credits in the UK but it qualifies in the U.S.

SCCRENDO | June 28, 2017

@OP.Vin 77xx. Model 85S, April 2013, 119000 miles. Runs and looks as good as new. Only problem is that it was one of the earliest cars so has none of the new autopilot features. My side mirrors only retract manually. I am hoping for 300,000 miles.

SamO | June 28, 2017

Autopilot is worth its weight in titanium. I will not buy another Tesla without this software feature set.

Bighorn | June 28, 2017

Mine drives like new at 132k miles.

Thanks guys feeling a bit better about the purchase if you think about it its usually the engine that goes at high milage and the s model doesn't have one lol

they are offering a 8 year unlimited milage battery and drivetrain guarantee in the uk got a test drive on Monday never been so excited about a car so many questions whats your best tips

Thanks guys feeling a bit better about the purchase if you think about it its usually the engine that goes at high milage and the s model doesn't have one lol

they are offering a 8 year unlimited milage battery and drivetrain guarantee in the uk got a test drive on Monday never been so excited about a car so many questions whats your best tips

Rocky_H | June 28, 2017

Right, electric drive trains are way WAY better for high mileage driving from two points:

(1) Fuel savings mount of a lot faster if you're putting a lot of distance on the car. The cost is higher up front for an electric, but for an ongoing basis, electricity is a much cheaper fuel than petrol.

(2) Wear and reliability. That's the big one you're asking about. Electric drive trains are so much more smooth and simple, with far fewer precise moving parts that they can easily go many hundreds of thousands of miles without the kinds of breakage and parts replacements that gas car engines would have.

SUN 2 DRV | June 28, 2017

85k miles, like new and drives great. I drive 25k miles a year and with the 8 year unlimited milage warranty I can't see any reason I won't keep it at least 8 years.

PhillyGal | June 28, 2017

If you drive that much you can't afford NOT to drive a Model S.

In all seriousness, it will have a total cost of ownership equal to that of a gasoline powered car with a much lower purchase price.

Tropopause | June 28, 2017

AC motor has no wearable parts other than the bearings.

vp09 | June 28, 2017

I put 225,000 miles on my last car, a 1987 Acura Integra. No engine work! Headliner fell down and glove box broke.

Yesterday at Mazda Laguna Seca we were talking to a man with a Model S with 85k miles, third set of tires, another attendee at the TMC 2017 Meeting in Monterey. I think he's going for half a million miles. He's the one with the 2 dogs in the special seat.

vp09 | June 28, 2017

Mileage?

Sleepydoc1 | June 28, 2017

Think of your ceiling fan as a prime example of an electric motor. Mine has been on over 17 years nonstop. Quiet low cost and no maintenance.

UnshodBob | June 29, 2017

@vp09 - I think they spell it differently in the UK. :)

Ian.rudge | July 2, 2017

I have done 66,000 in just over a year just about to put 2nd set of tyres. Motor was changed as making bearing noise - obviously under warranty. However it's going in to service this week with an issue with Superchargers as its past warranty of 50k not looking forward to what could be an expensive fix.

Otherwise it's been brilliant

achilles992000 | July 4, 2017

Tesloop has a Model S with almost 300,000 miles. They want to get it to a million miles.

they are doing 17k a month on their Teslas. They started in 2015, so must be one a 2015 model?