Forums

Cruise Control, is it a basic item on the Model 3?

Cruise Control, is it a basic item on the Model 3?

I'm sorry if this sounds silly, I haven't had a chance to drive a Model S and there are no Model 3's out to test drive yet.
Will I have to get Enhanced Auto Pilot in order to get cruise control?
Or is cruise control included in the basic functions? I haven't seen any mention of this in any of the forums, I have watched the reveals, many podcasts etc. and no mention.
If anyone knows the answer to this I would appreciate the feedback.
Thanks,

bbjj33 | August 16, 2017

Dumb cruise control is included (see the stalk in the motor trend pictures- the icon is that of cruise control, not autopilot, which implies that cruise control will be standard and autopilot is two pulls on the stalk.)

SUN 2 DRV | August 16, 2017

No one knows for sure whether basic Cruise control will be standard on the Model 3, but I'd guess it will.

It is included on the Model S.

GetLib | August 16, 2017

Yes, dumb cruise control is standard on all Model 3 vehicles. There has been some mention by Tesla retail store employees that even traffic adaptive cruise control will be standard, but that has not been confirmed.

Tâm | August 16, 2017

@benjaminwho16

Good assumption but there are clearly 8 cameras, does that mean they work without paying extra for it.

CraigW | August 16, 2017

The cameras work on all Teslas. It is just that they only function to help control the safety features on cars that have not activated EAP. Cruise control does not adapt to the speed of traffic, but only goes the speed you set (dumb cruise control) if you have not activated EAP.

hoffmannjames | August 16, 2017

One tap of the stalk enables Traffic Aware Cruise Control, not dumb cruise control. But I guess it is possible that if you don't pay for EAP that the one tap of the stalk would enable dumb cruise control instead.

Carl Thompson | August 16, 2017

@GetLib:
"There has been some mention by Tesla retail store employees that even traffic adaptive cruise control will be standard, but that has not been confirmed."

If this is true I might just skip EAP altogether until FSD comes out. I could live with just TACC until then.

Carl

Frank99 | August 16, 2017

I agree with you, Carl.

phil | August 16, 2017

Carl Thompson | August 16, 2017If this is true I might just skip EAP altogether until FSD comes out. I could live with just TACC until then.

And this is exactly why it is NOT true. I would make the same choice. Tesla wants our $5,000, and that's why it does not allow that choice on Models X/S. It will be the same for Model 3.

Tâm | August 16, 2017

@phil

I agree. It is just common sense.

It's hard to imagine Tesla would encourage people to skip paying $5,000 because they could still get Traffic Aware Cruise Control without paying for it.

michael | January 6, 2018

Can I get an update, is "traffic adaptive cruise control" included?

henry | January 8, 2018

I have a 2017 Toyota Prius. The Prius comes with their version of traffic adaptive cruise control - called Dynamic Radar Cruise Control - as part of the Toyota Safety Sense package that is now standard on all versions of the Prius. So some of you are saying that I have to purchase EAP for $5000 on my Model 3 in order to get the equivalent capability. I realise that EAP does much more than the Toyota but dumb cruise control is rediculous in today's world.

SO | January 8, 2018

@Henry - this is true for the Model S and X as well. It is a bummer if you don’t want Autopilot. As Autopilot improves, there will probably be fewer people who forego that option.

Carl Thompson | January 8, 2018

@henry

Completely agree. And even if I _did_ want the additional features from Autopilot $5k is robbery for them compared to what other companies charge for similar. Maybe I'd pay $2k because it's better than most. $5k? No way.

Coastal Cruiser. | January 8, 2018

michael "Can I get an update, is "traffic adaptive cruise control" included?"

No. Absolutely not. The base model car comes with ordinary vanilla non-adaptive cruise control only.

Just keep in mind that right now there is no such thing as a base model. Soon...

TeslaTap.com | January 8, 2018

@henry - If you find a better car than the M3 - go for it. Seems the Prius is a huge step down, even if they do offer a single feature that's an option on the M3. Uses gas, poor handling, low performance, odd looking, a compact (vs M3 midsize), small display, complex ICE/EV, limited cargo space, etc. Still I'd rather people buy the Prius than a ICE non-hybrid - it is a bit better for the environment.

Then again you could buy a $1.7M Bugatti Veyron, it doesn't have TACC either, even as an option. It does have other attributes those that buy it want.

henry | January 8, 2018

I have a Model 3 reservation which was made on 3/31/2016 and Tesla says it can be delivered in "early 2018". I really want to buy it but this makes the base car go up to $40,000 just to get standard safety features. Tesla is supposed to stand for superior safety. This makes my decision difficult. I am not rich.

@TeslaTap.com

The Bugatti Veyron is not sold as an every day commuter car.

SamO | January 8, 2018

The smart cruise is incredible. Even in my neighborhood, I engage it to keep the car the exact same distance from the car in front, no matter what the speed. Just set my max speed at 5+ speed limit and off it goes.

And using radar, it sees the car in front of the car in front of me and slows, even when the car in front has to brake more agressively.

Great feature . . . 90% of the risk of distraction is removed.

ReD eXiLe ms us | January 8, 2018

TeslaTap: Actually, based upon total interior pasenger and cargo volume, the Toyota PRIUS does qualify as 'Midsize' per the EPA ...

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=39769&id=39287&id=3...

91 + 27 = 118 ___ PRIUS

97 + 17 = 114 ___ MODEL 3

Both are between 110 cubic feet and 119 cubic feet

@Red - I stand corrected. Just the Prius seems much smaller both outside and inside (to me) than the M3.

@Carl - I love taking my Bugatti out for a run to work every day, if I had one :)

@henry - TACC is not consider a safety feature, but all the safety features Tesla offers are included in the base car:

- Automatic emergency braking and collision avoidance
- Eight airbags
- Electronic stability and traction control
- Review video

It's also expected to get a 5 star crash safety rating, but we don't yet know that for sure. The Prius gets a mix of 4 and 5 starts in various sub-categories, but 2 stars in the side pole test. https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2017/TOYOTA/PRIUS#safety-ratings-side

ReD eXiLe ms us | January 8, 2018

TeslaTap: It's cool. You are absolutely correct on most of your posts (probably all of them I've seen thus far). I just happen to be a stickler for using EPA Size Classifications instead of the highly variable terms used in marketing materials. For instance, I think it sucks that GM wants to call the BOLT some type of 'Crossover' when it is front wheel drive instead of AWD and technically SMALLER by volume than a Honda FIT, while the EPA classifies both as 'Small Station Wagon'... Actual 'Compact' cars have between 100 and 109 cubic feet of combined interior passenger and cargo volume. Believe it or not, the big, huge, long, heavy, and beautiful Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class is a Compact car with much less useable interior volume than a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla, which are both Midsize. It does look good though!

EPA Size Class
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacarhelp.shtml#epaSizeClass

andy.connor.e | January 8, 2018

These kinds of terms are what confuses people like any other commercial designed to confuse you by using terms and language that you already dont understand. And then by confusing you, it makes you think that product is more sophisticated because you dont understand it. Then you have people who use those terms which they dont understand as evidence as to why its better.

A 1000sf apartment could be 200'x5', and it could also be 20'x50'. Both are 1000sf. A 100ft^3 car could have more actual usable space than a 119ft^3 car, so long as the inside is more efficiently laid out. What happened to the "user experience" being the judge of how well something works.

Rutrow | January 8, 2018

Does the standard version of Collision Avoidance control steering at all?

Calbruins | January 8, 2018

I actually don't see non-traffic aware cruise control in my Model 3. Looked throughout the screen UI and am doing "cruise control" word search in the owner's manual, and it appears only TACC is offered. As I did not purchase EAP, I don't think I can do "basic" cruise control.

@ReD - I now see the original Prius was a compact, and at some point it graduated to a mid-size. Looked a few newer ones at Lunch and they still seem much smaller than the M3. Credit goes to Toyota for getting that much space into a small car.

@Rutrow - No auto steering with frontal collision avoidance - just braking. Tesla has a feature "Side Collision Avoidance" that does move the steering to reduce the chance of someone sliding into you and hitting you, but it doesn't appear the feature is in the 3. All the hardware is present, so if it isn't there today, it might be added with a software update or it could just remain limited to the S/X.

PaceyWhitter | January 8, 2018

@calbruins

Pull the right stalk once. Settle this weird argument once and for all.

SamO | January 8, 2018

Right-hand stalk controls cruise. Press down once for smart cruise. Press down twice in succession for Autopilot.

Always pays to read the manual:

These convenience features, designed to reduce driver workload, are available only if your Tesla vehicle is equipped with the optional Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self-Driving Capability packages:
• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control
• Autosteer
• Auto Lane Change
• Autopark

I'd take that to mean TACC is not standard.

PaceyWhitter | January 8, 2018

Right, but the manual doesn't mention regular cruise control so some people have guessed that meant it did not exist. I assumed that it was an omission in the manual but haven't talked to anyone who owns a 3 who didn't buy EAP. Calbruins says he has one so I figured he could answer that Question.

Rutrow | January 8, 2018

@ TeslaTap, thanks. I wondered if there was any difference between Automatic Emergency Braking and Collision Avoidance.

TT, respectfully, the OP is not about TACC, right? The car comes with basic (non-adaptive) cruise control. Basic CC is not documented in the manual, but the car has it.

@Coastal - I didn't comment on standard cruise control as I haven't tried it, nor does the manual say anything about it. We'll need a M3 owner without EAP to chime in. Calbruins - how about a test?

@Rutrow - Ah - terminology. I didn't know either. The manual has a section on "Collision Avoidance Assist" which has two features: "Forward Collision Warning" and "Automatic Emergency Braking". There is no separate feature called "Collision Avoidance" as far as I can tell.

That would be helpful. In the meantime I've seen a video on the Model 3 Owners Club demonstrating the feature. There's also been one or two other confirmations with references. I thought this was water under the bridge. ;>

@Calbruins:
"I actually don't see non-traffic aware cruise control in my Model 3. Looked throughout the screen UI and am doing "cruise control" word search in the owner's manual, and it appears only TACC is offered. As I did not purchase EAP, I don't think I can do "basic" cruise control."

Are you saying you have TACC on your Model 3 purchased without EAP? That would be awesome if true!

andy.connor.e | January 9, 2018

There is no cruise control. In fact, i hear theres no engine either.

Haggy | January 9, 2018

With the Model S, the user manual was updated when TACC came out, and the documentation replaced the part about standard cruise control even though some cars had standard cruse control. It seems odd that Tesla would leave it out as a feature, but lots of features that were once advertised are now taken for granted. Some that are taken for granted are missing.

SamO | January 9, 2018

No gas or oil.

Yodrak. | January 9, 2018

"Just set my max speed at 5+ speed limit and off it goes."

Can max speed be set at speed limit + x%? Let's say 10%, so that when the speed limit is 30 mph the car will hold 33 mph, or when the speed limit is 60 mph the car will hold 66 mph.

"technically SMALLER "
What do you mean by "technically"? Is it smaller or is it not smaller, as determined by what source?

Yodrak. | January 9, 2018

"as determined by what source?"

Perhaps I should have written, as determined by what method?

Calbruins | January 9, 2018

Hi all, so I did as PaceyWhitter suggested. Thanks for the suggestion to pull down once, because basic cruise control is not mentioned at all in the manual.

So pulling down all the way once on the gear shifter indeed places me in cruise control. It automatically sets speed at the speed you were in when you pulled down. The grey MPH circle under the current MPH then turns black, and a "-" and "+" sign show up on either side of the black circle. For TACC, you can see from the manual that this circle turns blue.

However, it's just dumb cruise control. Maintain speed, and adjust speed via the -/+ buttons.

A shame it's not mentioned at all in the manual, but easy enough to update the pdf I assume. Literally, if PaceyWhitter hadn't mentioned it, I would have never discovered this.

So there you have it.

Incidentally, pressing down twice does nothing. I did not buy EAP, so it shouldn't have done anything, really. But no message on the screen saying autopilot wasn't purchased or anything like that.

@Carl Thompson: Sorry for the confusing wording. I meant to say that the only cruise control mentioned in the owner's manual is TACC. As someone who did not purchase EAP, I do not have TACC as an option to use in my car.

But as noted above, I do have dumb cruise control. Now verified.

SamO | January 9, 2018

Glad to help.

@SamO: thanks! Where did you find the info on basic CC? Since it's not on any official Tesla media?

SamO | January 9, 2018

Trial and error. Lots of error. ;-)

tesla | January 9, 2018

@Calbruins Thanks for clarifying that. I'm nervous when adjusting the speed from the screen while using TACC as I have to take my eyes off the road; I feel like it would be a big safety issue trying to tap the screen to adjust speed while using dumb cruise control. Another reason Tesla should make the right steering dial a way to set cruise control speed.

Carl Thompson | January 9, 2018

@tesla

I figure what I'll do is set and change the speed for cruise control using the accelerator and brake instead of using the on-screen controls. Seems safer and easier than fiddling with the screen.

Carl Thompson | January 9, 2018

@Calbruins

Thanks for clarifying! Congrats on the car!

accentcreate | January 11, 2018

Sounds like my desire for an analog version of the M3 is well founded.

liftsrock | January 11, 2018

@tesla I agree. Speed adjustment when in CC should be via one of the thumb wheels on the steering hand wheel. I use the toggle switch on the hand wheel of my BMW X3 constantly to adjust CC speed around town . . . keeps eyes on the road ahead.

Pages