Forums

Model 3 Feature Requests

Model 3 Feature Requests

I'm an M3 reservation holder and have read through every piece of Tesla literature I can find and have watched just about every video that the googs can turn up and there are still a few things regarding features I wanted to suggest in hopes that it'd come to fruition with the upcoming releases. I've listed a few things below, if you have any suggestions or other ideas please feel free to comment or add below. I'm really curious to see if I've either missed these features somewhere or if they're a possibility and if anyone else has suggestions to improve upon the already amazing Tesla M3! Some of these can likely be pushed to MS & MX owners as well!

Feature Suggestions - Food for thought?

- Can the side mirrors auto-fold (or alternatively offer a manual option) at HWY speed to increase range / decrease drag? I'm already looking for ways to improve upon range without creeping along below the speed limit (Oklahoma charging is scarce). I think the laws say the cars must be equipped...don't recall reading anything saying they can't be "adjusted". Maybe if they even popped back out during lane changes that would suffice???

- Some insurance companies provide adapters to plug into the OBDII ports for discounts on premiums…will Tesla provide driver data to assist with less expensive insurance rates? If so, will this be optional, or will it be mandatory for all Teslas?

- Is there a possibility of a "trip profile" to build upon the already existing "range mode"? For example, we know there are driver profiles that suit the individual's own comfort levels. It would be great, however, if I could use trip planner to give options such as "best time", "standard driving", or "best range" ...taking into consideration topography and/or the minimum safe speed limits...why not have the car take a slight detour from the typical route to give better overall range performance to help minimize battery consumption during your extended range drive?

- Can regen be disabled in icy/snowy conditions either manually or automatically? In my state, we get more ice than snow so traction is already out the window and if regen kicked in it'd surely cause a potential incident...especially if slowing for a curve/turn. Assuming of course that I forgot to disable regen all-together.

Lonestar10_1999 | April 27, 2019

1) Tesla app should report window position and allow remote roll up/ roll down.
2) the emergency door release must be relocated so it is not confused with the normal door release

bobandpattys | April 28, 2019

I would love to see the passenger side seat get a memory like the driver side seat. My wife and I switch driving, it'd be nice to have the passenger side seat with a memory setting.

TeslaTap.com | April 28, 2019

@aeoliah - Rather than using your phone for music, why not spend $20 for a USB drive and load your music on it? Quality is significantly better than Bluetooth and you get full control.

bpatter123 | April 28, 2019

Two seat things: a) articulated rear seat head rests. The view out the back is less than wonderful, and our back seats rarely used. If the head rests could be folded forward it would enhance visibility. B) front seat cushion with a manual or powered length option. The seat would be much more comfy for taller drivers.

eztider | April 29, 2019

Adjust the air conditioning fan speed with the right (or left) scroll wheel, like in the Model S.

rob | April 29, 2019

I would like electronically adjustable tinting on roof and even windows.

rob | April 29, 2019

I would like electronically adjustable tinting on roof and even windows.

sriramts | May 2, 2019

More of a bug than a request. Definitely would like an audible warning whenever i put the indicator to change when it sees a car in my lane change path. Not just blind spot. Currently the audible warning only comes when i actually make the lane change and only if a car is in the blind spot, but would like it when the indicator is on and even if the car is not in my blind spot but in my path like right next to me. The bug that i want to report is that, what i notice currently is, when i change my lane, i look at the screen and what i notice is that even though there is no car in the lane that i am going to move to, but there is a car in the lane next to it on my side, it scares me with the red lines making me doubt whether there is car in the lane that i am going to move into. Because of this, now i am doubting the screen display and not even using that when changing lanes.

cpeppey | May 2, 2019

Windows up/down on app.

PT733 | May 5, 2019

@bonnienorman has just tweeted Gathering info for suggestions on the 2nd

sriramts | June 24, 2019

Would like to see the right or left side view of the lane depending on whichever indicator i put when i change the lane. In my minivan, i have that feature where when i put the right indicator say, i get a good view of the entire right lane so that i can consciously make a decision on when to change the lane. Same goes with the left indicator. If model 3 has that information already using the camera's, it would be really useful when i put the indicator to display the view of that lane in a third of the display screen. Would make if much safer to drive and peace of mind.

vmulla | June 24, 2019

@sriramts,
It's pretty much showing you the same, but with icons. The current implementation is probably clearer.

frnkblk | August 4, 2019

When charging at a destination charger (such as a hotel) it would be ideal if there was an option for the charge port to automatically unlock once the vehicles reaches its target state of charge (SOC). This would allow others to use the charging cable without requiring the vehicle owner to (remotely) unlock the car, especially handy if it was 3 a.m.

This would also be convenient at home -- I shouldn't have to unlock the car that's in my garage just to pull the charging cable out.

bpatter123 | August 4, 2019

When I push Park button, a voice says “Phone “- to help me remember to take my phone off the charger

1st in Line | August 4, 2019

This is an idea for some time beyond 2025. It is a major engineering challenge - something I feel Tesla/Elon relish.

Tesla does things different - some say better - than conventional car manufacturers. Hence we have zero emissions, flush door handles, aero wheels, water saving windscreen wipers, frunks, etc.

Also, Elon has expressed a desire for Teslas to sound "woody" rather than "tinny" - THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT - just ask Elon!

Notwithstanding the idiotic European regulations regarding EVs having to make more noise like ICE vehicles, one thing I like most about EVs is their silent operation and the reduction in noise pollution they provide!

My request would be do re-design the Model 3 doors, so that they can be closed without the "THUD" sound, but such that they close completely silently.

That would not only differentiate Tesla once again from the dirty & noisy ICE competition, it would

1.) make Tesla owners feel very special,
2.) make people living near public transport (i.e. who are often woken late at night when travellers return to their cars, slam their doors and drive home from there) happy,
3.) reduce noise pollution, and
4.) turn heads (I would certainly turn mine!).

Any car door closing to me sounds terribly tinny, whereas a silently closing door would give the Model 3 an entirely more woody feel...

vmulla | August 4, 2019

If possible, and if the current hardware supports it. I'd like the passenger seat to get memory settings as well.

If someone knows enough about the seat hardware, please let us know if it's even possible.

CaliforniaMaki808 | August 7, 2019

1) Can we have the ability to roll the windows up or down using the app?
2) Using Keypad to open glovebox (and I don't me Valet mode).
3) Ability to view any camera using the app when it's parked.

bpatter123 | August 7, 2019

When I stop & put it in Park, a voice says "Al...the phone" before I exit.

david.panarelli | October 5, 2019

This might not sound like much, but I would love to be able to control the rear vent that is at the back of the console, which points towards the rear passengers. We just got the 3 last week--love it--but my two daughters are raising hell because the vent is blowing and there's no way for the rear passenger to turn it off or reduce it. I'll work with them to tone it down, but in the interim, some sort of rear vent override control would be great. Thanks!

vmulla | October 5, 2019

Automatically save the dashcam footage when the car detects a collision. It would be awesome if it can auto-save the recordings of near-collisions and other abnormal situations as well.

vmulla | October 5, 2019

david.panarelli | October 5, 2019
This might not sound like much, but I would love to be able to control the rear vent that is at the back of the console, which points towards the rear passengers. We just got the 3 last week--love it--but my two daughters are raising hell because the vent is blowing and there's no way for the rear passenger to turn it off or reduce it. I'll work with them to tone it down, but in the interim, some sort of rear vent override control would be great. Thanks!
----

Are you looking for controls to the rear-vent? It's there already.
Or are you looking for rear passengers to control the vent by themselves?

KAM6 | October 5, 2019

@david.panarelli Bottom right button on climate control screen toggles rear vent on/off.

Gr3gi | November 5, 2019

I would be happy if the car could send me a push message via the app if it couldn't lock the doors (2 minutes latency). If I leave the car and one door is not completely closed, the car does not lock. And I don't notice it.

bert19 | November 5, 2019

When parking, enable the side cameras so the driver can see the parking lines or curb!

syclone | November 5, 2019

With the weather turning cold in large parts of the USA, and most of Europe, We really need a car wash mode.

1. car in neutral - remaining so when door is opened.
2. wipers off
3. Car wash mode off when shift lever is toggled up or down.

Joshan | November 5, 2019

if you do not have creep enabled you already have car wash mode (minus turning the wipers off). I go through the automated car washed all the time in drive. If you have creep off, it is basically neutral, just do not lift your butt off the seat.

david_gelfand | November 5, 2019

Having owned our M3 for 2 years this coming January, I’m still hoping will offer a “Smart Air Suspension” retrofit. Our 2014 Dec MS-85 has this feature and the difference in ride in city streets is amazing. Please Elon, save my back!,

frank | November 18, 2019

Hey everybody,
sorry for my bad english spelling... just a stupid german guy here! :-)

1. Parking lights
Just a simple function to put parking lights on while car is in P position.

If car is on P, the indicator could be used to set the right and/or left lights ON or OFF. An additional option in the App would be helpfull too!

2. A kind of "Master" and "Slave" setting for the Tesla App
We have one Model 3 and my wife, my son and me has installed the App. Now, short for christmas, my son shouldn't know where mom and dad are driving :-)

Would it be possible to define the phone of the son as a kind of "slave" with a reduced functionality?

Sarah R | November 18, 2019

Build and deliver when promised.

siniroopesh | January 6, 2020

Had close calls while backing up and while changing lane.

Can we have Auto braking while detecting an object behind while reversing?
Can we have Rear Cross Traffic Alert while reversing?
Can we have option to set audible alert other than chime?
Can we have more visible and audible alert while there is a car in the blindspot while initiating a lane change? (when lane change indicator is on)

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | January 6, 2020

Fish will agree in 1 2 3

cntrabsn | January 7, 2020

Sinikroopesh, I agree with you. I would like an audible cross traffic alert, an audible lane excursion alert, some kind of blind spot indicator, and a way to control the temperature of the air blowing on my feet. Some of these features are on my wife's Subaru. The first three would seem to be an easy software modification.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | January 7, 2020

,we have fish migrating from Pacific

FISHEV | January 7, 2020

"Can we have Auto braking while detecting an object behind while reversing?
Can we have Rear Cross Traffic Alert while reversing?
Can we have option to set audible alert other than chime?
Can we have more visible and audible alert while there is a car in the blindspot while initiating a lane change? (when lane change indicator is on)"

All good ones. Additional.

1. Real BSI
2. 100% working Lane Keeping
3. Rear cross traffic alert
4. 360 surround cam
5. Adaptive cruise without FSD issues of phantom braking.
6. Auto wipers that work and are adjustable for sensitivity.
7. Dedicated controls for shift, wipers, lights, mirrors, heat.
8. Rear wiper
9. Hatchback
10. Ski pass through
11. Better auto heat
12. Better visualization (see when brake lights go on)
13. Better close proximity warnings for curbs etc.
14. Framed windows for freeze issue
15. Fix door freeze issue.
16. CCS adapter or CCS port with Tesla adapter even better.
17. Solar PV glass
18. Inline display similar to X/S
19. Projected Range next to battery icon showing per cent of charge/kWh of charge.
20. Energy consumption graph with breakouts for what devices are using how much power.
22. "Preconditioning for Charge" item for going to non-Tesla chargers.

Took u a while Sea Man. Thanks. All of your points proven to be false or unnecessary for model 3

andy.connor.e | January 7, 2020

want a hatchback? get model Y. Camry owners dont bitch at Toyota for no hatchback. They get a Rav 4

Awhile*

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | January 7, 2020

Pothole avoidance within the safety parameters of lane keeping.

NorthValley | January 7, 2020

I wouldnt say all of FishEV points are false or unecessary...ski passthrough nice...inline display would be a bonus...i dont think these would be shunned by most owners...id love a heads up display!

@NV

“ inline display would be a bonus.”

To some. Personal preference, I like the model 3 display setup better than s or x. I have to put my eyes down and to the right to see my speed rather than merely down, but it is just as quick.

^ I will say that aesthetically i would prefer it be integrated into the dash rather than sticking out like a giant mushroom, but I rather like not having a screen or gauges behind the wheel.

pilottodd2 | January 10, 2020

I would like an option to play the Sentry Mode recordings directly on the screen.
Picture this: Get into your car. See 1 Sentry Mode Detected message with a ‘play now’ button below it. Only the camera(s) that recorded it play. It shows someone smashing into your car, so you can call police immediately.

thedrisin | January 10, 2020

1.RCTA. Must be possible if vehicle will be autnomous.
2. Adjustable sensitivity auto wipers. Neural net cannot predict every driver's preference.
3. Self cleaning cameras. Rear camera is useless in the rain.
4. In backup camera, rectangular representation of vehicle in addition to wheel lines. Easier to park, straighten vehicle. Many cars have this.
5. Wheels that don't stick out further than tires, lessen curb rash.
6. Answer phone by voice command or scroll button.

Big_Ed | January 10, 2020

Silly minor things:
1. Nav doesn't switch from route overview to segment view until vehicle put into drive.
2. Nav segment view shows name of destination somewhere on screen.
3. Charge port wakes up when cell phone key in proximity.

Sparky | January 10, 2020

Armoured glass for the front windshield.

andy.connor.e | January 10, 2020

How about a Cyber Model 3 and/or Y. Hows that for a feature?

Sparky | January 10, 2020

"Global Equities Research analyst Trip Chowdhry shared some of his insights from his Fremont visit in an article on finance website StreetInsider. Outlining his thoughts, the analyst stated that the Cybertruck’s technology is something that is “exponentially over and beyond both Model S and Model X.” “(The) Cybertruck is completely in a different Technology Orbit,” Chowdhry wrote.

Explaining further, Chowdhry also noted that based on what he has seen, he would not be surprised if Tesla ends up creating a lineup of vehicles based on the Cybertruck. Propelled by the Model 3 and Model Y, the analyst stated that Tesla may very well launch a “CyberCar,” which would likely be more aggressively priced compared to the company’s current vehicles."

Standroid | January 10, 2020

Option: Reverse Verify
Purpose: to verify that the driver has reviewed the backup camera display before the vehicle moves in Reverse.
Implementation: This software-only feature would add a check-box option to an existing menu (perhaps Driving?). If checked the driver would be required to tap an icon on the screen after shifting to Reverse in order to enable reverse motion. The large icon would superimpose at a randomized position within the backup camera display.
Enhancement: the verification icon would be superimposed over the AI-computed most-probable hazard.
Benefit: am I the only Tesla driver who has backed into a following vehicle in a too-quick attempt to avoid another vehicle backing into me?

stingray.don | January 10, 2020

1. A fusion reactor for unlimited range
2. Missile launcher to clear traffic ahead of me
3. Two words - flight mode
4. Flux capacitor for time travel
5. The vents should spit out gold coins
6. A holographic super model for the passenger seat

Seriously though, the car is amazing as it is, and it will just keep getting better.

hughw | January 15, 2020

I want the navigation system to allow "drive to {location} via {other location}". All you can do now is designate a target, and the route goes in the 'best' way, making charging decisions based on that. But if I want (for example) to drive from San Francisco to Yosemite, I can't tell it "but drive via my brother's house in Sacramento". This impacts both where the supercharger suggestions are, as well as how much charge you are left with at the end of your trip. Ideally I could add as many way points as I wanted to; but I'd settle for one or two.

Pages