Forums

Why is everyone not more upset about how rubbish these forums are?

Why is everyone not more upset about how rubbish these forums are?

Have I missed the thread on this?

SO | December 17, 2017

Yes

SO | December 17, 2017

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/how-search-forum-1

It is something that many have said for years.

SCCRENDO | December 17, 2017

One man’s rubbish is another man’s delicacy

AstonZagato | December 17, 2017

Content or format?

SO | December 17, 2017

I took it as not being able to search since that is what most people complain about. I could be mistaken.

quinney | December 17, 2017

Some people are less easily upset than others.

Ross1 | December 17, 2017

There is a thread on the Energy forum. Worse site there. No one responding and no one cares?

Shock | December 18, 2017

The forum software is, indeed, pathetic. Very badly written, which is inexplicable given that free forum software can be had.

This forum constantly logs me out. But not predictably. Also, try opening a thread with multiple pages when not logged in. The next page and number buttons at the bottom don't even work. Weak.

Other people are still apparently forced to fake their links because the forum won't accept them otherwise.

blue adept | December 18, 2017

@ak

Can you clarify what you mean by "rubbish"?

rgrant | December 18, 2017

@just an allusion - it’s missing a lot of basic features:

- mark all as read
- quoting
- liking
- referencing other users
- search
- the list goes on...

blue adept | December 18, 2017

Clearly it's a basic social interface platform devoid of many of the bells and whistles typified by most other discussion forums, much like remarkable absence of interior gadgetry found in Tesla's one might say, but then, they are focusing the wealth of their efforts on bringing us these truly amazing EV's, so I consider it an equitable trade off, especially if those types of programming amenities are what lure the sort of asshats, posers, liars, and con artists one encounters on other sites, TMC, for example.

booshtukka | December 18, 2017

Rubbish equals devoid of basic features available in free off-the-shelf equivalents.

No search
No subcription to threads
No notifications
Frequently logged out
Poor attention paid to UI (ever tried to use the pagination controls in Tesla’s OWN browser?)
Poor mobile experience
Worst CAPTCHA in the world (!) even when logged in
Poor error handling

I’m happy for Tesla to roll their own if it’s better than what’s out there. But this forum is frankly, an embarrassment. Why are they wasting their time and money on something they clearly have no expertise in?

Tesla makes great cars. But the confirmation bias that leads to people defending them against any criticism makes for shocking reading.

“One man’s rubbish is another man’s delicacy”

Wow.

booshtukka | December 18, 2017

Also, the inability to edit and fix my typos. ;)

brando | December 18, 2017

teslatap.com - great information; how to, technical details (change logs too) , history
(will take days if not weeks to read most of it)

TMC - maybe the best forum
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/
(will take probably years to explore all - luckily you won't be interested in all of the content - good search)

tesla.com - fine web-site and forums not so much

SO | December 19, 2017

Maybe it’s an inside joke.

I don’t think tesla is spending much money on this site.

blue adept | December 19, 2017

@ak

*** "Why are they wasting their time and money on something they clearly have no expertise in?"

Apparently to give owners and aficionados and other like-minded individuals a place to chit-chat and connect and stay up to date on matters Tesla oriented of course.

blue adept | December 19, 2017

@brando

As I've said before, TMC is a bunch of posers and liars.

Essentially a group of wannabe's that try to pass themselves off as someone (Tesla founders/engineers) or something (engineers/technicians) which they're clearly not.

I mean, if that's the sort of people you prefer to associate with, then have at it, though I would suggest that you go anywhere but there.

Rocky_H | December 19, 2017

@just an allusion, Quote: "Essentially a group of wannabe's that try to pass themselves off as someone (Tesla founders/engineers) or something (engineers/technicians) which they're clearly not.

I mean, if that's the sort of people you prefer to associate with, then have at it, though I would suggest that you go anywhere but there."

They do not try to "pass themselves off" as anything of the sort. Where did you come up with such a crazy idea? The community, and particularly its moderators, are uptight, but they sure don't falsely try to pretend to be official Tesla employees.

booshtukka | December 19, 2017

@just an allusion - seems there’s people of questionable value on every forum to me. The forums represent the people, you can’t label everyone like that, in my opinion. I’d prefer to use this forum, but the poor experience annoys me every time I use it, and this erodes my trust and goodwill for the company.

“Apparently to give owners and aficionados and other like-minded individuals a place to chit-chat and connect and stay up to date on matters Tesla oriented of course.”

I understand what a forum is, but thanks for the smarmsplaining. My question is as to why Tesla is happy to accept such a poor and substandard experience, when they could have used an off the shelf product for free that would work better.

Interesting that they’re happy to use a third party’s mapping capability, or that horrid CAPTCHA, but feel they have more expertise in building forums. I think this demonstrates the company’s arrogance in their own capability, above their interest in our user experiences.

Uncle Paul | December 19, 2017

This website has been of tremendous value to me, as well as countless other owners and owners to be.

I am not a website snob, so am quite happy what has been put before me, and at no cost.

I believe that anyone else that wishes can make their own, and superior website to offer another, and better forum. Will be interested to see if the OP steps up. Then others can sit back and criticise his forum.

SamO | December 20, 2017

Best auto manufacturers web forum.

Er. . . Only . . . manufacturer offering a forum.

Rocky_H | December 20, 2017

@ak, Quote: "Interesting that they’re happy to use a third party’s mapping capability, or that horrid CAPTCHA, but feel they have more expertise in building forums. I think this demonstrates the company’s arrogance in their own capability, above their interest in our user experiences."

I will disagree only with the middle sentence: "but feel they have more expertise in building forums" No, if they were actually trying to "build" the forums, they would have added some kinds of functionality over the years. They have only hacked at what they started out with to strip away functionality in the bare-bones interest of trying to suppress spam and keep really basic security. They seem to know it's not good, but it indicates that they just don't think it's important enough to give any time or development resources to it. But yes, general attitude I agree with.

SO | December 20, 2017

It’s not great. But to get that upset over something like this forum not working well seems odd to me. I guess I have bigger problems.

booshtukka | December 20, 2017

"Will be interested to see if the OP steps up."

Sure, that's a plausible outcome. :)

I guess I shouldn't be that upset. But I have high standards, and I do think this is the worst forum I've used since the 90s. If everyone else isn't that bothered, then that's interesting, and that was my original question.

"Er. . . Only . . . manufacturer offering a forum."

That is interesting! Is that true?

DTsea | December 20, 2017

I..... Just dont care. It is good enough for its intended functions and is free. I would rather Tesla use people or money on cars, solar, power packs, factories, supercharger, etc, etc.

blue adept | December 21, 2017

@Rocky_H

When I was there a few of them were trying to pass themselves off as Tesla employees, a few were even using founder's screen names (to pass themselves off as), while others claimed they were engineers.

However, when I presented them with a Physics related work-a-round from a real world application (which they were unaware of) to circumvent the affects of entropic loss due to thermodynamics in a system, not only were they unaware of the 4 laws relative to the process, they also couldn't even work/make sense of the damn formula.

Ergo, just a bunch of clueless posers, liars, and frauds trying to pass themselves off as something that they're not in order to, by all indications, coerce/weasel information/insights from people who actually do know what they're talking about so they could then take that information and try to pass it off as their own.

blue adept | December 21, 2017

** p.s. Yes, when I provided them with a link to a real world application of the very thermodynamic technological work-a-rounds I covered (which happen to be at NASA), they STILL denied the science and the technologies' existence when I put it right in front of them!

Jaswinder Brar | December 21, 2017

I'm not saying these forums are rubbish...
However I am having trouble posting on to the forum.
I was redirected to an external Forum Provider, and told they would review my 1st post which was labelled as spam.
I'm new here... & I would like to share my works with you all.
Please help!
Thank you.
Jaswinder Brar.

Rocky_H | December 21, 2017

@just an allusion, Quote: "When I was there a few of them were [...] Ergo, just a bunch of clueless posers, liars, and frauds trying to pass themselves off as something that they're not"

Did you even read what you wrote? Oh, a "few" bad eggs doing something bad on a forum. Wow, how amazing. We've never seen anything like that here. **eyeroll** And you insult the entire forum and dump it in the garbage. What sad generalization. I've been on that forum for a few years and have never seen anything like that, as most other people haven't. It's like you're boycotting an entire restaurant chain because of one rude waiter.

Rocky_H | December 21, 2017

@Jaswinder Brar, You're welcome to say that because this forum from a technical standpoint is pretty bad and primitive. Yes, they use a very aggressive spam filtering system called Mollom, which is very picky for new accounts. It won't let you post outside links generally unless you disguise them like with adding spaces and such to fool the system. Verified car owner accounts have less blocking from Mollom and get more freedom.

J.T. | December 22, 2017

The most telling thing about the regard that Tesla has for its own forum is that when Jon McNeill, the head of Global Sales and Service has something to say, he posts it on TMC.

blue adept | December 22, 2017

@Rocky_H

** "Did you even read what you wrote? Oh, a "few" bad eggs doing something bad on a forum. Wow, how amazing. We've never seen anything like that here. **eyeroll** And you insult the entire forum and dump it in the garbage. What sad generalization. I've been on that forum for a few years and have never seen anything like that, as most other people haven't. It's like you're boycotting an entire restaurant chain because of one rude waiter."

The 'few bad eggs' I had issue with were the moderators of the forum themselves, the ones passing themselves off as Tesla management and engineers (you know the ones), and since the integrity of a forum is derived from its administration, well, you get the picture.

It is not my intent to cast aspersions on the membership of the forum as a whole, just those who I exposed as liars/frauds.

After the holidays I'll dig around and find the post/a link to the thread that contains the posts where the confrontation took place so you can review the matter for yourself and make your own judgement.

blue adept | December 22, 2017

@J.T.

** "The most telling thing about the regard that Tesla has for its own forum is that when Jon McNeill, the head of Global Sales and Service has something to say, he posts it on TMC."

Well, that, or someone who SAYS they're McNeill.

Ross1 | December 26, 2017

When Tesla has perfected the machine which builds the machine I guess they might listen to the forum building the forum. :))