Forums

Sales Tax for Orange County picking up in LA

Sales Tax for Orange County picking up in LA

So traditional dealers would charge sales tax in the county you register the vehicle in. Does tesla do that? Can anyone confirm who lives in Orange County but picked up their car in Marina Del Ray that they didn’t have to pay LA sales tax?

weluvm3 | January 10, 2018

Yeah, it's higher in LA. Last time I bought a big ticket item there, it was very annoying!

sharpkan | January 10, 2018

It should be based on where you're registering it, no? E.g. you can live in OC and buy a BMW in LA county but you'll pay OC sales tax.

rodeknyt | January 10, 2018

sharpkan is correct. Sales tax is based on where the car will be registered. Prevents folks from shopping in lower tax counties.

ebmcs03 | January 10, 2018

@rodeknyt. Yes. It should be. But because Tesla isn’t a traditional dealer do they still operate based on the registration address?

I’m looking for someone who has actually took delivery who registered in OC to confirm.

rodeknyt | January 11, 2018

It doesn't matter who you buy the car from. The tax is based on registration location.

stevenmaifert | January 11, 2018

Part of the pre-delivery process is filling out Registration Details via your My Tesla account. In that section, you provide Tesla with the registration address. They then calculate the sales tax for that location which then appears on your Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement. If you live in OC and pick up in Marina Del Ray, you will pay the sales tax at the rate for your OC municipality address.

ebmcs03 | January 12, 2018

Thanks for explaining Steve!