Forums

Will Tesla-to-J1772 adapter dismantle the Destination Charging program?

Will Tesla-to-J1772 adapter dismantle the Destination Charging program?

I've seen videos of a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter that allows a non-Tesla vehicles to use a Tesla HPWC for charging; one of our EV club members has one.

So would widespread use of such an adapter like that disincentivize Tesla to continue the Destination Charging program? Aren't HPWCs put at hotels/resorts to encourage Tesla owners to visit there? Isn't that the purpose, to promote the brand? If a lot of Bolt/i3/Leaf owners slop on to a free Tesla charger, will Tesla stop giving them out so freely?

There is a municipal J1772 charger near me that is at a successful shopping area. It's clearly there to encourage EV owners to shop at the mall but it's ALWAYS taken up by a mall employee as the same Nissan Leaf is plugged in every day, all day, at the spot. The employee simply doesn't want to park in the back where other employees are supposed to, they're taking up prime parking meant for the customers that pay the bills.

If I chose a hotel or resort because they had a Tesla HPWC, then found a local Leaf preventing me from refilling overnight, I'd be pissed.

KP in NPT | January 28, 2018

The host has the option to get a destination charger with a Tesla only receptacle or a Tesla + J1772. My husband lobbied the Sheraton he stays at for business to get a destination charger, and the combo one is the one they went with.

So no, I don't think them using it will dismantle the program.

WHitchings | January 28, 2018

Excellent observation, KP, but that brings up another question. I'm aware that Tesla offers a J1772 along with their HPWCs, but they don't offer just J1772s. That implies to me that even if they do that - an HPWC and a J1772 - that means at least ONE spot is reserved for Tesla owners. The aforementioned adapter takes that option away.

KP in NPT | January 28, 2018

I guess my thought is right now it's probably not that much of an issue. That might change as EVs proliferate. But I think in general Tesla wants to accelerate EV transition and so if it becomes a problem I'd expect them to adjust as they have with the supercharger network. Maybe get other EV manufacturers involved in the destination charger program?

Goose | January 28, 2018

IIRC, the adapter mentioned in the original post is limited to 40amps. One of the advantages of a lot of the HPWC installations is the ability for Teslas to charge at 72amps or more. Also, it costs $4-500 - very pricey for a 40amp charge.

There may be some situations where a Leaf or i3 may need such an adapter but I don’t see it being widely adopted.

reed_lewis | January 28, 2018

As @Goose says, the adapter is $400 or more. Very few people will purchase it for a couple of reasons.

1. The price
2. The availability of J-1772 ports already
3. The fact that many people never drive further than the distance of their EV anyways.

I predict that they will sell very few of them.

Captain_Zap | January 28, 2018

I had a loaner last week and plugged it into our HPWC at home and it was charging at only 40A! I was troubleshooting for several minutes before it dawned on me that the darned loaner only had a single charger...

WHitchings | February 2, 2018

Actually, I think a 40-amp charger is more than adequate for the vast majority of home charging (even destination charging, for that matter). I paid extra for two chargers in my Model S but have never, ever, used it. It was a waste. In fact, if there's a destination location I'd rather see them have two 40-amp chargers than one 80-amp.

redacted | February 2, 2018

You've never used the 80 amps @whITCHINGS? I go as close to 80 as I can, every time I plug in. I assume you also have an "Easy Does It" bumper sticker.

stevenmaifert | February 3, 2018

Tesla provides the J1772 adapter with all their cars. So I guess it's okay if you use it to tie up a public access J1772 charger for hours while you recharge your 100 kWh Model S but absolutely unacceptable that a Leaf might use a Tesla adapter to charge at a Destination Charger, whose use is completely at the discretion of the host. Aren't we special!

TheOx | February 3, 2018

Tesla has the charger in the vehicle. Not sure how an i3 or other EV without an onboard charger could take advantage of an HPWC.

tes-s | February 3, 2018

i3 has onboard charger. I'm not aware of a production EV in the US that does not.

Stiction | February 3, 2018

I didn't get the dual chargers and don't regret it.

IMHO, Being able to fully charge while sleeping in about 8 hours is good enough. There are always superchargers in a pinch.

But I don't drive that much. (10k / yr)

tes-s | February 4, 2018

Dual chargers were invaluable for me. Spent many painful hours charging at Natick mall; without dual chargers I never would have done it. The dozen times I did that made it worth every penny. There have also been a couple of times (in 4+ years) where the faster charge at home was helpful.

Rocky_H | February 5, 2018

@tes-s, +1 Sheesh, why in the world does that myth persist, that people think there are other EVs that don't have an onboard charger?

reed_lewis | February 5, 2018

@tes-s--- Why do you need to charge so much at the Natick Mall?

Also, I charge at home at 30 Amps (7.2 kW) and have never needed a faster charge. But maybe that is because I come home and am usually at home for the evening (except for a short trip for dinner out perhaps).

Also, every EV car has a built in charger. The built-in charger takes A/C and converts it to DC to charge the battery. In fact a HPWC and J-1772 are basically the same thing except for the plug and perhaps some signaling. But basically they work the same way. When the plug is inserted into the car, the car and the wall connector have a short conversation and then the wall connector turns on the A/C Power to the car. There is nothing else happening in either a Tesla HPWC, Tesla Mobile Connector, or a J-1772 supply.

The car takes that A/C power and charges the batteries.

rxlawdude | February 5, 2018

EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) <> "Charger."

WHitchings | February 5, 2018

Dual chargers was a waste for me as was the 90kW battery pack - that cost an extra $5,000 and gave a pittance of a few extra miles. The $7K I spent for those two items would buy a lot of cheddar!

tes-s | February 5, 2018

@reed - to get from CT to ME in 2013 and 2014.

bp | February 6, 2018

A couple of points.

When we ordered our S 100D a year ago, we opted for the standard 48A charger, instead of paying an extra $1500 for the 72A charger. Tesla was promising that we could later upgrade to the 72A charger for $1900 (a promise they may have broken, since another early Model S owner has reported Tesla is not offering the 48A to 72A upgrade). Tesla now includes the 72A charger as standard on all 100's.

We have almost 18,000 miles on our 100D, and have not had any problem getting an overnight charge on 48A - at home or on the road with destination chargers. Our 2012 S P85 is now charging overnight on 32A - and it is getting a full charge overnight. The only time we could have used faster charging was on road trips, when we got to the hotel with a low charge, and wanted to recharge quickly before doing some local driving. We can avoid that by stopping a little longer at the last supercharger and making sure we have enough charge to reach the hotel and do local driving for the rest of the day.

So, even if Tesla is still offering the 48A-to-72A charger upgrade, we probably won't take it.

As for J1772-to-HPWC adapter, that will probably not kill the destination charger program. What will kill the program is when other manufacturers bring out long range EVs - with a long distance charging network - and hotels & restaurants start seeing more non-Tesla cars.

One of the hotels we stay at frequently has both a Tesla and J1772 charger - so they're already set to handle Tesla and non-Tesla cars. Other hotels have multiple HPWCs - and no J1772 chargers - and when they start seeing customers needing other chargers - if there isn't a J1772-to-HPWC adapter, those hotels are likely going to add J1772 chargers and may opt to install chargers that work with any car - not just with Tesla cars.

Tesla has had exclusivity for a few years. The Volt and Bolt haven't been viable long distance competitors - that will change in the next few years - and that could change the destination charging program (which really isn't much more than providing a free HPWC - a $500 savings, and getting the hotel listed in Tesla's destination charger database).

WHitchings | February 6, 2018

bp - I think you're correct, the 72-amp charging option isn't as necessary as many think. I like the fact that Tesla makes that standard, however, as I think they need to differentiate the Model S from the Model 3 as much as they can. As for the Tesla-to-J1772 adapter threatening the Destination Charging program, you're also right that the adapter won't mean much until there are cars that can use it. I see no movement by any competing companies to even begin a Destination Charging program at all, so in that regard I think Tesla has the advantage, possibly forever. It's a corporate attitude problem (for the others), not a feasibility problem.

jordanrichard | February 6, 2018

".....The Volt and Bolt haven't been viable long distance competitors - that will change in the next few years " Has anyone seen or even heard of a plan for a bank of DC fast chargers being installed at rest areas or at plazas near the highway?

VW is supposed to funding such a network, but has anyone seen the proposed locations?

Ya, I wouldn't count on being able to conveniently use a Bolt or any other BEV for a road trip.

Smoothjazz | February 8, 2018

Does anyone know if the new Model 3 has free supercharger privileges? I just saw the first few Model 3 Teslas on the road this week.

TranzNDance | February 8, 2018

Only the S and X qualify for the referral which is required for free unlimited superchargers.

martinwinlow | June 30, 2019

Tesla's (ie Mr Musk's) stated reason for existing is to bring about susyainable transport. So, on that basis, Tesla shouldn't care what sort of EV uses their destination chargers. Here in the UK, they appear to be always installed in pairs, one being Tesla only and the other being 'for any EV', any that is with a Type 2 socket. *some* EVs with a Type 1 socket can charge on the 'Any EV' destination chargers with the use of an adaptor (eg evbitz.uk/EVBitz.uk/T2_T1_Cables.html ADP6) but this is by no means a certainty (apparently) due to the way the destination charger is configured during installation.

tes-s | June 30, 2019

Tesla often installs a J1772 EVSE in addtion to the Tesla EVSE, so no problem with the adapter disrupting the destination charging program. Years after the adapter was introduced, destination charging program alive and well.

rxlawdude | June 30, 2019

@tes-s, tell that to the B&B we've gone to for the past four years - they have reached out to Tesla multiple times over that period, never to get a response. I've given up trying to lobby for them to get one.