Forums

$36k Model 3 Deliveries

$36k Model 3 Deliveries

I understand that the $36k Model 3 version is being delayed an additional 9 months; can anyone verify this?

AJPHL | February 8, 2018

Mine went from “mid 2018” to “early 2019”—I’m not sure it helps to be so precise and say “9 months” since the description is vague and open to interpretation. But delayed for sure.

liftsrock | February 8, 2018

Yes. My Delivery Estimator changed the "Standard Battery, Two Wheel Drive" version to "Early 2019" and kept the "All Wheel Drive, Std. or Long Range Battery" version at "Late 2018" which is good news and my first choice. Looks like Tesla wants to deliver the more expensive versions first . . . higher profit margins on those.

gbb0131 | February 8, 2018

Yep... Mine went from Mid 2018 to Early 2019. Interesting though that the AWD Standard or Long Range is still Late 2018

Ehninger1212 | February 8, 2018

Interesting, mines says late 2018 for both the standard range pack and the awd version.

roberts | February 8, 2018

Strangely enough my delivery date just move FORWARD from "late 2018" to "mid 2018". I reserved June 13 2016, non owner, from Ontario Canada.

Shock | February 8, 2018

Yes, my LR option went back three months, but SR which I want is back from mid 2018 to early 2019.

The $35k model 3 is a carrot and we the horse. It's starting to feel an awful lot like bait and switch. Having LR only for a little while is one thing, but they are clearly milking that line and with SR, at a minimum, a full year behind LR, the $35k is looking like a unicorn. Will there ever be a $35k model 3? I think so, but this is looking sneakier to me by the minute.

Bobrrr | February 8, 2018

Mine went from early 2018 to late 2018. Probably will end up being a full year delay now.

WantMY | February 8, 2018

The plan is either you splurge for LR + PUP or you would give up and buy something else. Tesla could not make base model 3 for 35K any time soon. This fake 35K EV was just to generate PR and get reservations count.

bwa | February 8, 2018

Ontario
Your Model 3 Delivery Estimate
Model 3 deliveries are beginning in the US based on whether you are an employee, if you own a Tesla and when you placed your reservation. made on April 1, 2016

First Production
310 mile range, Rear Wheel Drive and premium upgrades
Mid 2018
Standard Battery
220 mile range with Rear Wheel Drive
Early 2019
Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Choice of 220 or 310 mile range
Mid 2018

seems a bit strange, mid 2018 for 220 range dual mtr

Shock | February 8, 2018

"seems a bit strange, mid 2018 for 220 range dual mtr"

It's because Tesla does not actually want to make a $35k car because it will cost them too much money. Maybe costs come down later, who knows, maybe they release a few $35k next year and then in short order once they can say we did it, they jack up the standard price to $40k with a couple more options.

bayareakid2008 | February 8, 2018

There will never be a $35k Model 3. The writing is on the wall. Either the PUP or LR battery will become standard and the price will raise accordingly. My money is on the battery, which will make the new base model $44k.

andy.connor.e | February 8, 2018

Uh oh, here comes another one of them. "There will never be". Laughable....

Mttcoco | February 8, 2018

@Andy

Reality is hilarious to you, is it?

andy.connor.e | February 8, 2018

@Mt

Absolutely is. Its also hilarious to see people saying something cant happen. Maybe thats why Tesla has been so successful.

Andy, you seem to confuse "can't" with "won't". Tesla can certainly build and sell the $35k Model 3. But they won't because there isn't enough profit in it at that price point.

dsvick | February 8, 2018

"But they won't because there isn't enough profit in it at that price point."

And how do you know how much profit is, or isn't, in each price point/option? Granted, there is more profit in the larger battery and PUP but, unless you have some insider knowledge, you can't that there isn't enough at any other price point.

seattlemag | February 8, 2018

bayareakid2008 , you're absolutely allowed to make those kind of predictions publicly with absolute conviction, as long as you're OK admitting that you were wrong (if it turns out that a $35K model is released).

That fact is what will differentiate a "troll" or "naysayer" or "shorter" from someone with a legitimate and mature opinion: those spreading FUD will yell and scream the sky is falling, then fade into silence when it doesn't.... hoping the world won't take the time to search the archives of the internet to see what they touted as "fact" and "certainty".

rxlawdude | February 8, 2018

The assertion that the $36K M3 is being pushed back nine months is a missed-conception.

WantMY | February 8, 2018

@dsvick Dude, it is very obvious to see what Tesla does with base model - they push it as far as they could at the moment. Most likely hoping they will never need to build one at all. No need to be blind follower, many could not postpone getting another car due to lease expirations and old cars falling apart, so they would have to move on and Tesla knows it very well.

TabascoGuy | February 8, 2018

The cost of both Models S and X have come down as Tesla gets better at producing them. There is no reason to think that the same won't happen with Model 3 or that they won't ever deliver $35K base model.

mos6507 | February 8, 2018

Bait and switch or no, I think a lot of people never would have put their deposits in if they knew that the base model wasn't going to be available upwards of a year or more after the first cars rolled off the assembly line.

Seattlemag, I have no problem with admitting when I'm wrong, but I'm batting 1.000 in regards to the failing Model 3 ramp.

seattlemag | February 8, 2018

Perfect

Shock | February 8, 2018

"The cost of both Models S and X have come down as Tesla gets better at producing them."

Base model s is more xpensive than it was at launch.

I believe tesla will produce a $35k because they have said they will and it would be embarrassing not to and dishonest.

I believe selling it is very low on their priority list and I believe the odds are high they will sell a handful of them to check off the box and shortly thereafter raise the base price up to $40k+.

Octagondd | February 8, 2018

Agree with Shock - They may sell some token base SRs and then say that the vehicle is better with AWD and all Tesla vehicles will be AWD going forward. $38500 minimum, maybe $40k

"Base model s is more xpensive than it was at launch."

I can't believe how disingenuous some posters are, and how divorced from FACTS their posts are.

The base price of a Model S in 2013 was for a 40kWh battery, no supercharging, no autopilot hardware, no folding mirrors, yada yada.

The base price of a Model S today includes a 75kWh battery, EAP/FSD hardware (extra cost to activate), Supercharging (paid, but you were comparing the "launch" price of the base model for which Supercharging was not even an **OPTION**), and features that were additional options in 2013.

Just thought the record should be cleared up from some of the uninformed content that can get taken as Gospel.

Oh, yeah. The base MS also has dual motors. The base MS in 2013, not so much.

elliotgeno | February 8, 2018

What the heck? I reserved mine, sight unseen, minutes before the launch from Columbus, Ohio. I've been patiently waiting for years and now I log on and see people from Canada have been moved up ahead of me? For the record, I want the $35,000 option and I am a non-owner who reserved March 31 2016.

Are the people in Canada ahead of you getting the $35,000 version, or the fully loaded version that is currently being manufactured and delivered? If not, I don't understand your complaint.

silverslim1 | February 8, 2018

Just for the record. I will wait till the 12th of never to get this car. This is a chance to drive the future. If I have to wait a little longer so be it. Spell it folks. PATIENCE!