Forums

2nd Tesla question

2nd Tesla question

So my wife and I have been in discussion for a few months about getting a 2nd Model X because she loves mine so much. We finally got it ordered last night, but she immediately starting having 2nd thoughts. She's now decided to get a Model S, which is kind of funny because I planned on getting the MS and changed at the last minute to the MX. She doesn't like the attention that my MX gets every time we open the FWDs. My MX will be the family travel vehicle and her MS will be mainly just for her to use around town. So now we're going through and changing the order and we get to the PUP. I was going to get it for her in the MX because the self-presenting doors are awesome. In the MS though I'm torn. So the reason I'm asking this here is because I know a few of you have both the MS & MX, so I'm looking for MX owner's opinions about the value of the PUP in the MS. We don't use XM and the kids can live without heated seats in the back for the couple of months that it gets cold here. I've read that the sound package upgrade isn't as noticeable in the MS as it is in the MX. Thoughts?

Right now we're getting black exterior, white interior, all glass roof. I want to get the grey wheels like I have on my MX, but she likes the standard. No PUP, no EAP (she doesn't use it in mine and right now we're not planning on taking the MS on trips, plus we can always add it later).

pjalan | February 27, 2018

Why not m3 if it is for local commute. Plus as a owner with ms/MX backlog you might get it sooner.

burdogg | February 27, 2018

I don't have PUP on my Model S, of course the package has changed since I ordered mine too :) I think many would agree - $5,000 for PUP on the Model S doesn't add a ton of value - especially with the things you have said, with no need for XM and honestly - the sound system for me is just fine in standard version.

If it were me - I would save the $5,000 to use for EAP if you ever decided to get that, but that is me :)

packpike | February 27, 2018

@pjalan - I had a reservation for the M3, but I got tired of waiting and bought the MX last fall. I held on to the reservation for a month or so and then gave it up. If I thought that I could order one right now and get it with the tax incentive I would do that, but we're assuming that won't happen, so we're going with the MS.

Thanks burdogg. That's kind of my thinking right now, but I knew that you and a couple of others had both, so wanted to confirm. You know how the 72hr change window can make you really question everything, so if nothing else, some friendly support helps.

Yeah - I think you are on the right track - I don't see you regretting not getting it - that is kind of my test - will I regret not having... down the road and then I try to really put myself in that position to think if I would regret it.

For $5,000 - me personally - I don't see myself regretting not getting a little better sound system and heated seats in the rear - especially if it is rare that those seats are even going to be used. The HEPA filter to me is not a big deal, especially for $5,000.

Of course, I don't have any of those things and still do not regret it at all :)

@packpike if you order m3 using the same account you should get invited to configure in a week or two. Ms/MX you are looking at June the earliest. I ordered MX 2/3 and still June for me. M3 pup is much better value so is its LR. You will get more for less.

So in Sumarry you have better chances of tax credit if you opt for first production. You should possibly get it with MS as well but perhaps you will get your m3 sooner due to owner priority. There is no owner priority for ms MX and you will be in same q as I am. Correction I ordered MX on 2/13 and still no word if it got moved up to March from June.

pjalan - I am not sure on the Model 3 priority at this point - someone posted over there that they were told no priority at this point - non-owners invites have gone out - so don't know if that changed anything or if the person was poorly informed, who knows at this point :)

@burdogg it is perhaps poor informed. Non owner invites going out means all owner First production orders filled. Elon never talked about a time limit for owner priority. So any new owner First production should get immediately filled. I’ll let people confirm this.

@packpike doesn’t hurt to put $1k down again on m3 and see for yourself if you get to configure almost immediately or not.

@pjalan, that's what my sales advisor just suggested. He thinks that I have a chance. I talked through it with my wife and she really wants the S over the 3.

Since you have MX for long drive M3 is more sporty and better for commute at much less cost. It is personal choice. Get a one rental m3 for wife and if she still wants MS just order it.

bob | February 27, 2018

We are another MS/MX family. Our MS is 3 years older than the MX and has a lot of what is currently included in the PUP, but not all. Two items I really like, but wouldn't spend $5k for are the HEPA filters and the exterior lighting. Wife has allergy issues and we've used the HEPA several times on long drives. We frequently travel with our small dogs. They love the heated seats. But somehow I'm guessing they'd survive without them.

If I were ordering an MS now for 'round town chores - I'd forgo the PUP luxuries. Our MX has the PUP and I'm really happy we have all of them since we use it for all our road trips. But that's just me. Hope it helps.

henrylata6 | March 5, 2018

Model X has 6 more speakers than Model S plus a 8 inch subwoofer when both are equipped with the Premium Upgrades Package. With minimal cold weather, I would not recommend that package for your family.