Forums

3 Month Repair...

3 Month Repair...

I was rear-ended on April 4th. Mostly body damage and I took it to a Tesla's recommended shop here in Seattle. I just got a quote back of 3 MONTHS to repair!!

Is this typical? Shop is saying parts take forever!?

What's up?

zanegler | April 18, 2018

You should immediately contact the Tesla Body Shop coordinator. They can keep you apprised of parts status and ensure the body shop gets the parts as quick as possible. In my personal experience, the body shop sometimes blames Tesla. I don't see how they can say 3-months until they have placed the complete parts order and Tesla gives them an estimate on delivery.

For support with your Tesla at a Body Shop, please call 877-798-3752 (press 2, then 4) to speak with a Body Shop Customer Advocate. You can also reach us by email at: BodyShopSupport@tesla.com. Please reference your VIN and which Body Shop you are working with so we can promptly assist.

TeslaTap.com | April 18, 2018

There are a lot of reasons for taking a long time - from slow insurance companies, to parts to other cars first in the queue to be repaired. Here's a guide to help understand the repair processes: https://teslatap.com/articles/tesla-accident-repair-guide/

For significant body damage (especially when a fender need to be replaced), 3 months is not out of the question for an aluminum premium car (any brand). Painful, I know.

danbrown1010 | April 18, 2018

@Teslatap.com - I understand the delay for multi-car and insurance needs. However, I feel 3 months is unacceptable. That is a quarter of a year for crying out load. This was mostly body damage. I can get a new car in that time frame.

@zanegler - I have submitted my details to the email you listed above. Thanks for the help.

avesraggiana | April 18, 2018

@danbrown1010. I feel for you, I'm going through this right now, again. I've been relating my story ad nauseaum on various threads on this forum.

Eight months ago, on 9-11 2017 to be exact, my dad's Tesla Model S was rear-ended. From dropping off the car at Amato's Auto Body to taking possession of it again, 46 days.

Delays were incurred when a USAA estimator couldn't make it out to inspect the vehicle until ten days after I dropped it off at the body shop; when parts had to be manufactured on the east coast and then shipped to Tesla in Fremont; and when the parts assigned to repair my vehicle were shipped in a cart from Tesla to Amato's Auto Body with no shipping manifest. The replacement parts sat delivered but untouched at the body shop because the body shop had no way of knowing that the parts they were waiting for were already on their property.

Eleven days ago, my dad crashed my mum's Model X100D into the side of our house, taking out two walls, a door, and a washer and dryer. The damage to the house is extensive enough to require permitting of the repair work by our local city authorities.

The Model X100D has been undergoing evaluation at the body shop. I was told that a determination would be made by late this week or early next week on whether to repair or write off the car. So far, estimated repair cost is at $75,000 and climbing.

If the car is to be repaired, I was warned to expect a SIX MONTH wait. Replacement parts from Tesla.

TeslaTap.com | April 19, 2018

@danbrown - If three months is unacceptable, sorry to say there are not many options if you plan to be in more accidents:

1) Avoid driving, use Uber or Lift
2) Only buy a very high volume, lower-end steel car like a Ford Taurus that gets into many accidents. These should have lots of parts everywhere and repair shops that can bondo over damage.

The one problem with premium cars is the cost and effort required to return a damaged car to satisfactory condition is often quite a bit more than bottom end cars. This is not a Tesla specific issue. As you go up to very high-end cars (Ferrari for example) 6 to 12 months may be necessary to get a vehicle repaired. Often repair parts are hand built to order as you move into exotics.