Forums

Question about Tesla Powerwall app

Question about Tesla Powerwall app

I just had my two Powerwall-2 system turned on yesterday, and am thrilled with how well it is performing integrated with our 13.2 kWh solar system. However, I am not able to access the solar, energy usage history from my Powerwall app. I saw those links briefly yesterday when we first booted up the system, but somehow they have disappeared from the app. I have the Power Flow, Performance, Backup history, and Customize options, but would very much like to access how solar and energy demand history from this app. Can someone more knowledgeable than me help me out here. This utube link from Australian, who demonstrates the functionality of his PW2, starting at ~4.5 minutes. Sorry, five minutes after posting I figured it out. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWLzlrGGuxQ

grins.va | 23/06/2018

Just a note to congratulate you on the installation. I know how long you have waited. I may get my roof and PWs next year.

Hang in there. I am sure Tesla will get the history figured out.

sashton | 23/06/2018

I think David found it. The app has evolved/changed and finding things sometimes isn't as intuitive as one would expect. Once the new toy feeling has passed you get to realise that a battery frees you from having to time everything to the sun (PV). I think the main benefactor from our install has been my wife - not having to check the forecast/SoC to see if it's better to charge the car/use the dryer/wash clothes etc - now or later.

sashton | 23/06/2018

not benefactor but beneficiary ..oops

Tesla-David | 23/06/2018

Thanks @grins.va and @sashton, yes I was a little dense in figuring out the Tesla Powerwall app, but finally figured it out and am absolutely thrilled with how well it is performing. It is everything I had hoped for and we are not drawing any electricity from grid now with the batteries. With two batteries, our nightly drawdown is less than 25 percent now, which will obviously go up later in the year when the cold weather sets in.

Unfortunately, yesterday I had a mishap in my MS using "Summons" in our narrow garage. It has worked well over past two+ years, but when car was backing out of garage yesterday, before the car cleared the garage the wheels turned to the left bringing right front quarter panel against the garage door frame pulling off the quarter panel. Ouch! It made me sick, as I have not put even one scratch on car over past three years, and now this!

sashton | 23/06/2018

Oh no! One question about summons - Does the summoning function eject the charge plug? as without that the function would be pretty useless, assuming the default status for the car was plugged in.

Tesla-David | 23/06/2018

@sashton, no it doesn't. You have to unplug first, or summons will not execute. I have found it useful for moving the car out of our garage, which only has around 3" on each side. On my first MS, which did not have this capability and also did not have retractable mirrors, I kept hitting the garage door frame when driving the car out. Over past two years with summons, no problems until yesterday.

grins.va | 24/06/2018

@Tesla-David - for clarity when you used summon, did you function it with the phone app or the FOB? Thx.

Tesla-David | 24/06/2018

I am one of few on planet earth who only has flip cell, not smart phone. I was using key fob. I have also used our IPAD to execute summons.

Tesla-David | 24/06/2018

I have another question about the Tesla Powerwall app for those of you who have used it for awhile. I love the app, but would like to access records going back more than just "yesterday" and "today". Is it possible to retrieve data earlier than "yesterday". I have started a spreadsheet to record our Energy usage, solar production, and Powerwall usage and would like to retrieve the data going back to when our Powerwall was turned on (6/21/18). Thanks for any feedback on this question.

sashton | 25/06/2018

Unfortunately what you see is what you get. It is difficult to say what degree of data granularity Tesla store, whether it is just a daily/weekly/monthly etc aggregate or the actual hourly/daily figures.
One thing is sure, if you know what you want to record then collect it yourself.
It is relatively easy but there is a cost. The hardware - a device to regularly collect the stats; the effort - required to set it up and the energy required to run such a system.
I have recently had an email from someone in NZ suggesting using an Intel compute stick. These are really cheap (I love cheap) and only consume a few watts. So I am ordering one this week and will let you know how I get on.

Tesla-David | 25/06/2018

Thanks @sashton, I look forward to your feedback.

Tesla-David | 05/07/2018

Ok, we are 13 days in on our PW2 installation, and have to say I am overwhelmed and completely satisfied that we have this incredible system complementing our solar. @sashton, after one week the app gave me weekly summaries of everything, so I think I have everything I need to track our Solar + PW2 data. I created a spreadsheet to capture the relevant data so I can share our experiences with anyone interested in doing a battery storage + solar system. We had a 79 kWh solar day the other day and actually exported 61 kWh to grid after charging the PW2, supplying our home needs, and charging our two Tesla's. Unbelievable, but very satisfying, as we have not drawn any electricity from grid since PW2 system was turned on and we are exporting a lot of electricity to grid.

Patrick | 05/07/2018

@TeslaDavid - here's an idea regarding your request for historical data - it's a long shot but might be worth a look. Apparently Tesla installs a Neurio energy management system in the energy gateways. Perhaps the Neurio system logs your data into their cloud servers like they do for their other customers - here's the link we use to get our Neurio historical data:

https://my.neur.io/

Tesla-David | 05/07/2018

Thanks @Patrick, Tesla-Energy (Nicholas) will be out next Wednesday to look at the PW2 installation, and I will ask him about that possibility.

It is interesting that there is a Neurio energy management system inside the energy gateway for PW2. I purchased the Neurio-Solar app several years ago and had it installed to give me a better breakout on my energy demand sources. Our PW2 installer told me that my Neurio-solar app was redundant with PW2, but did not tell me that the PW2 had a Neurio built into the Gateway to process similar information. Anyway, I have all the relevant data for my spreadsheet, but thanks for the link, in case I need to access data in the future.