Forums

Tesla and motionsickness

Tesla and motionsickness

I have grown up with a very bad inner ear issue which makes me super sensitive to motionsickness. I've heard that driving the Tesla with regnerative braking has caused motionsickness in many drivers and especially their passengers. Has anyone else had to deal with this issue? Apparently you can't fully turn off the regen brakes so I'm wondering how people got around this....perhaps just being more cautious when releasing the accelerator?

TeslaTap.com | 05/07/2018

If you're ok in an ICE car, I expect you'll be less likely to get motion sickness in a Tesla.

1) There is no transmission or lashup of the drivetrain, so there is no jurkyiness like all ICE cars have.

2) With the accelerator, you control how much acceleration/deceleration there is and you have exceptionally fine control - far more than ICE cars.

Go for a test drive - I expect you'll be pleasantly surprised how smooth it is. I hope it works out for you.

PaceyWhitter | 05/07/2018

May have an issue at the beginning if you try to drive it like an ICE and lift off the pedal completely thinking it will coast. It won't and will actually break pretty hard. You get used to one pedal driving pretty quickly and then driving the 3 will be smoother than an ICE.

sjm4660 | 05/07/2018

I too am very sensitive to motion sickness. I agree with PaceyWhitter, if you lift off the accelerator rapidly then the transition to regen will be unpleasant for motion sickness sufferers (trust me, I have three of them in my family plus me). On your first drive in the Model 3 it takes a couple of minutes to moderate your accelerator use in order to avoid this problem. After those couple of minutes - no problem, super smooth.

Wilber | 05/07/2018

Darrelly - I am a long time Model S and X driver and can agree with all said so far. There have been some threads on the Model S forum about this, and some threads about how pets (dogs mainly) seem to like EVs better than ICE. You can use Volkerize to find those threads.
I would also add that the lack of the constant subtle vibration from an ICE engine also makes the experience in a Tesla more soothing than in a fossil fuel vehicle.
So, yes, go for a test drive in a M3 as soon as possible. In the meantime you might want to test drive a Model S, or even a Leaf to get an idea of the smooth ride of an EV.

robert rogus | 05/07/2018

You can set the regenerative braking to standard or low. The low setting is pretty close the the slowdown rate of ICE cars when you take your foot off the gas. Having said that, once you get used to the normal regen, it is not so hard to drive smoothly, and is actually fun to drive because it is mostly a one pedal operation. You only need to touch the brakes for unusually quick slowdowns or for the last 5mph when you are coming to a stop.

A more serious motion sickness issue is the autopilot. It is a tiny bit herky jerky as it steers and maintains spacing with cars in front of you. Human driving is smoother. My wife tells me she is getting sick and ‘Just drive the car yourself’. I hope this is improves in later iterations.

carlk | 05/07/2018

Some people also have bad driving habit inherited from ICE driving experiences. There is no more need to push or release the pedal hard to compensate for lack of responsiveness. Try learn to do it smoothly you won't have any problem with it. I was especially bad since I've been driving stick shift for years. I learned how best to drive the Tesla after some complains from wife in the beginning.

s7davis | 05/07/2018

Whgen I did a test drive on an model s about 2 years ago the regent got me all the time. Except I learned to not t make my foot all the way off accelerator pedal. By releasing pedal slowly it will gradually brake and keep slowly releasing pedal but do not let it go all the way up. Tesla are all 1 pedal driving shou of never really need to use brake pedal except in emergencies. Which will help keep you spending 1k on brakes.

Darrelly | 05/07/2018

Got it, thank you all for the replies. This all makes sense. My kids are prone to motionsickness as well. I'll just have to learn to release the accelerator slower to prevent the jerky slowdown.

RedPillSucks | 05/07/2018

I would highly suggest getting a test drive, either from a tesla store, or check out the list of people from this forum that are willing to let people test out their cars. There's probably someone close to your area.

ashok.chandrasekhar | 30/10/2019

This is how you can eliminate severe motion sickness on Tesla auto pilot/TACC:

1) Set your acceleration to CHILL mode
2) Set Auto pilot car distance to 4+ car lengths (if you are highly sensitive I HIGHLY recommend setting it to 7 car lengths on the interstate and about 4 car lengths on streets)

Don't worry the Tesla will NOT maintain 7 car lengths even if you set it to 7 car lengths on the interstate. It will only leave 1.5-2 car lengths spacing at most, however, the acceleration and braking will be EXTREMELY SMOOTH (you won't feel a thing!!!!!!!!). In fact, I recommend this setting for ANYONE who wants an incredibly comfortable drive in stop and go traffic, not just for folks with motion sickness.

3) If you are hyper-hyper sensitive to motion sickness and if the above setting is not sufficient (which I highly doubt wont be sufficient), you can roll the right tracker ball up or down to have the maximum top speed set at no more than 15 miles above your current speed (for example if the stop and go traffic is going at 20 mph, set the max speed at 35 mph by rolling the right tracker ball down or up to decrease max speed or increase max speed respectively)

NO MORE MOTION SICKNESS on AUTOPILOT!!!

Check it out and let me know your feedback.

Ashok

Big_Ed | 31/10/2019

I have some experience with motion sickness from flying aerobatics and being a military parachutist.. Not uncommon for an entire planeload (60+) of jumpers to barf in their laps when a C130 pilot executes sustained hard nap-of- the-earth flight.

The keys are anticipation and visual cues. Pilots do not get sick as quickly as passengers, because they control the aircraft so they know when to expect physical sensations such as G forces. Passengers who cannot see the orientation of the aircraft and application of controls get sick the quickest because they cannot anticipate physical sensations.

As it applies to Tesla, IMO the lack of auditory cues from engine noise a and visual cues from braking, combined with strong and sudden acceleration and turning G forces, are likely to cause motion sickness. To combat it, passengers should be advised to keep their heads up and watch the road and scenery. Look straight ahead, and never look down for a sustained period, such as when reading a book or your phone. Turning and tilting your head imbalances your inner ear and leads to vertigo.

When I took people on acro flights, if they started to get queasy then cracking the vent for some fresh air on their face would sometimes delay the onset of full on nausea. However, as a general rule the only thing that stops progression once it starts is rest and lack of motion. So pull over and grab some coffee.

vmulla | 31/10/2019

I have experience driving someone who suffers from motion sickness in my 3. He is fine in the front seat where he can see stuff better, with regen off, chill on, and TACC on.

Braking on TACC is quite smooth, and acceleration was fine until the last update (its a tad aggressive now) - but it is still a nice balance of convenience and comfort when I'm driving him.

I avoid AP when he's in the car, it's too unpredictable for him (as an inexperienced AP passenger). Turning on AP when he's in the car also makes me nervous, he may be fine for all I know.

He tried my car only once, and did not complain when he was in the driver seat.

Abogado | 28/03/2020

Took delivery on MS on 3.23.20. Very susceptible to motion sickness.I have learned one pedal driving relatively well, but still experiencing motion sickness, sometimes severe when driving MS. Will try deactivating regenerative braking and activating Chill. Any further suggestions? Experiences?

Magic 8 Ball | 28/03/2020

@Abogado Do you only get sick in Tesla, no other cars?

jmccpa | 28/03/2020

Search for "ReliefBand" - a device worn on wrist to reduce/eliminate seasickness. < $100. Worked well for me on my boat.

Tronguy | 28/03/2020

Personal opinion, informed a bit by actually Being At Sea in a Big Grey Ship for a few years.
It's been observed that sea sickness is common when first getting used to the idea that the walls, ceiling, and floors all stay at solid right angles to each other while the ship is moving around. One's kinesthetic sense (muscle strain) and balance (inner ear accelerometer and position) are out of whack with that the eyes see; for those unused to the sensation that Everything in the Mind's Eye is Moving while the eyes say it isn't.. Well, it causes nausea in some until the brain gets trained to get used to the idea. Some people never can handle it; there medicine that can help.
Often, with people who are seasick, getting onto a weather deck and training one's eyes on the horizon can help since, at that point, the brain's sensation of balance and the eyeballs will agree.
Point about all this: Just like riding bicycles, this is something the brain must learn.
As a kid, I used to get car sick from time to time, usually (but not always) when reading. Again, going eyes up and getting the horizon back in view helps.
So, with the Tesla: With that heavy battery pack under the floorboards and a stiffer suspension to match, the car's motion when going around corners or just driving along is just different than how the ICEs I've been driving all my life move. And, yeah, I got a little odd feeling during the first couple of months. And then I got used to it, no further problems.
And that, perhaps, is the point: The brain had to learn and internalize how the car was going to lean (or not) when driving around, and it's a somewhat different set of mental skills than I had learned in several decades of driving. I'm not surprised that some people get a little car sick; but my guess is that most will simply get over it.
And, given a sufficiently large population of people, it's a reasonable guess that some won't. Just like there are people who get really dramatically ill on a ship for whom there really isn't a cure. Such is life.

Abogado | 28/03/2020

I get sick sometimes in the back seat of a van. But generally do not get sick in an ICE.

So you mentioned one pedal driving so I am going to assume it is related to "surging". Have you tried changing your regen setting?

Abogado | 28/03/2020

Thanks Tronguy. The ship would be a constant, so probably easier for the brain to adjust. Driving is periodic. So don't know if it would adjust the same.

Just returned from driving about 20 miles on freeway and curvy road after resettng regen to low and to Chill mode. Feeling like early stages of motion sickness. Will drive some more this afternoon for a longer test.

I own a boat and still suffer from sea sickness once in a while. It is so uncomfortable for me sometimes I use scopolamine patches which are a godsend for my condition. If I go out for a few days I can remove the patch and not have issues (they help me ease into getting sea legs). When I was young I did not get seasick so much but then got very sick and it was explained to me that the cilia in my balance centers had been damaged. After that I could not be in a car on a windy road even behind the wheel for a couple of years. It was all about continuing to try until I could overcome. Best of luck I can empathize with what you are going through.

This has nothing to do with Model 3 so hopefully EVIL FISHEV will abide by his own request and not say a thing.

Abogado | 28/03/2020

Thanks Tronguy. The ship would be a constant, so probably easier for the brain to adjust. Driving is periodic. So don't know if it would adjust the same.

Just returned from driving about 20 miles on freeway and curvy road after resettng regen to low and to Chill mode. Feeling like early stages of motion sickness. Will drive some more this afternoon for a longer test.

Abogado | 28/03/2020

Thanks Magic 8 Ball

Scrannel | 28/03/2020

Have been a sailor since young, and raced when I was kid. But, the worse "crossing" was infamous cannel crossing -- England to France. With my girl friend. The boat was packed with English biz types in suits -- literally just vomiting everywhere. So much puking going on in the head, a continuous wave of vomit pouring down the steps into the main cabin. I told my GF, don't fight the movement of the boat. Just... "go with it." We were the only not-sick passengers. Go out, and throw the car around MORE... let your body whip around. All in your head.

Scrannel | 28/03/2020

channel...

bjrosen | 28/03/2020

I have inner issues also. Regen braking is very comfortable, I don't see how it could cause motion sickness. Hard acceleration can, I've only floored my AWD a couple of times because it makes me dizzy, the solution to that is to not floor it.

Tronguy | 28/03/2020

@bjrosen: Some time back my sister was going through a Big Event near Moro Bay in California (motto of the Moro Bay Navy: We don't sail where we can't walk). As part of the festivities, a bunch of us went deep-sea fishing. There was a strong on-shore wind and associated chop coming out of the harbor to where we finally started fishing and the motion of the boat was.. pretty interesting. About half the party of 30 or so were chucking it up. My (at the time) 8-year old son came with us and he got pretty sick, too. Luckily I managed to avoid most of that by channeling my 20-year younger self.
Thing is: My sister thought it was some kind of personal failing that my son was sick. She's smarter now, but, jeez, for a certain subset of "I don't get seasick" people there's nothing but scorn for those who do.
And I guess that's my point. As I said before, for many, but not all, getting motion sickness is something that one may get over given time and practice. My guess is that people who drive Teslas mostly do get over it; it's not _that_ big a change from an ICE. But given a large enough population and old farts (like myself) who don't learn as fast as younger farts, there's going to be, probably, at least one shining example of a driver who's stuck in a Cadillac :).

Abogado | 28/03/2020

I got motion sick a lot as a kid. Mostly grew out of it, but would get sick on boats etc,, just not in cars. As I got older it began coming back, and is quite bad.. I am in my mid 60s.. I have had a number of incidents, but never when I am the driver. This is a first. Even with regen on low and Chill (which is what Tesla recommended), I started getting sick today. Tesla acknowledged that this is a problem for some, and unfortunately it is for me. Probably taking it back. Amazing car, but I need something I can drive without getting ill.

njelectric | 29/03/2020

One other thing to try is to see if it happens when you use TAAC (cruise control). It may do a better job of modulating the speeding up and slowing down. The few times I have had passengers with issues I found it helped when I was more careful with the pedal. It may be a subtle difference from your ICE but that may be enough to give you issues. The rest of the car is just a car.

Tesla2018 | 29/03/2020

I was on a deep sea fishing boat at night and had just eaten half a pizza. The seas were rough and no land was in sight. Only thing visable were stars that kept moving. Thought I was going to be sick so I headed to the back of the boat near the bathrooms. Bad idea since that's where they were grinding up stuff to make chum. The smell was horrific. Luckily someone had Dramine so I took one and was fine.

I drive from FL to NJ only stopping once for gas and eating sandwiches that are in a cooler on the passenger seat. After getting out of the car to get gas after 8 hours or 8 hours later when I arrive at my destination.I have trouble walking since my body thinks I am still moving at 70 mph. Also happens that I feel sick if I get in a traffic jam and am not moving after several hours of driving.

bjrosen | 29/03/2020

If we are trading seasickness stories, one of the worst experiences of my life happened in 1983. My extended family held a 90th birthday party for my grandmother in FL. I had the terrible idea to charter a fishing boat and take my parents and sister deep sea fishing. While the boat was still in the canals everything was fine so I compounded my mistake by drinking a beer because that's what guys on fishing boats do (I'm not a drinker). As soon as we hit the open water I got violently sick, after throwing up I crawled into the cabin and laid down on the floor and passed out. I was comatose until the boat got back to the canals, four hours later, when I came to. My other two experiences with extreme motion sickness go back a few years before that. I had two company outings to amusement parks in the late 70s, on the first outing I went on some sort of spinning thing at the second I went on a small wooden roller coaster, in both cases I got off of the ride and collapsed on the grass for about a half an hour. People tell me that I wasn't able to recognize anyone after I got off. To bring this back to the topic at hand, I demoed the acceleration of my AWD to a friend and his description of the experience was that the car is a roller coaster, that's a very apt analogy. I've only floored it a couple of times, the first time I got very dizzy, the second time I knew what was coming and was able to back off as soon as the dizziness started. I just drive it in a sane manner and as long as I do there is no problem. I haven't been to an amusement park since, I haven't been fishing since although I have been on whale watch and sailing boats which were OK, and I can all of you that the Power Boost Option, let alone a Performance model, is not in my future.

Sarah R | 29/03/2020

Lolz... try riding a DDG east of the PI in a typhoon.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 29/03/2020

Vertigo.

I had gotten extremely dizzy before. But always while sitting. Always at a desk. And always after staying up well past my bedtime. I would find myself suddenly sliding off my chair for no readily apparent reason. As if I were falling asleep while otherwise being fully aware. I remembered the advice to take a break, walk around, refocus a bit between sessions at a computer screen and felt better. Thought I was fine.

Then one day I was cleaning up, decided to walk to a local store about a block away, picked up some cleaning supplies, walked back home, then up the steps to the house, went past the piano in the living room, turned into the hallway, stepped through my bedroom door, took two steps, and fell over. That's what actually happened.

Here's what it felt like... I turned from the hallway to my bedroom door, took two steps... And suddenly I was in the midst of the biggest Earthquake I had ever experienced. I was catapulted off my feet and somersaulted. After what seemed a triple barrel roll, I miraculously landed on my feet. I reached out to hold up a dresser so that it wouldn't fall over, and soon came to realize I wasn't holding up the dresser, it was holding ME up. So I gradually lowered myself to the ground.

That was scary.

I typically don't become nauseated. I don't throw up. I hadn't thrown up since Fourth Grade, shortly after lunch. I raised my hand in class, asked to go to the Boy's Room because I wasn't feeling well. I was excused, made it to the doorway, grabbed both sides of the doordrame, and threw up violently. I was told to go to the Infirmary. I nodded my agreement, turned, went down the hall, made it to the rainmat at the double exit doors, and vomited again, as much as I had before. Somehow or other I made it to the infirmary, and was sent to a Family member's home nearby.

Several years passed. My Friends often told tales of their legendary drinking escapades which often ended in throwing up. They were prideful of drinking until they threw up, because that meant they could drink some more. I explained that I didn't ever throw up. I noted, "If you ever see me throwing up? Call the Paramedics, because that means I've been poisoned!"

Even more years passed. Now a full forty years since Fourth Grade. I woke up one evening, and immediately dove for a nearby wastecan. I vomited every meal I had that day. Took a deep breath, and threw up some more. I believe this was the first time I caught The FLU.

The next time I vomited was later the same year. I had been working in the yard, then found myself feeling fatigued. I sat down for a while in the shade. Rested for a good long while, but still didn't feel refreshed. It came to me that I hadn't eaten yet that day. So I went into the house. I didn't really want to ccok breakfast. So I made and ate a bowl of cereal. That was good, but I still felt hungry. I made another bowl of cereal, but rather than feeling energized, I was tired. So I lay down to take a nap.

I don't know how long I slept. But I sat up, and immediately dived for the wastebin. I threw up all I had just eaten. Took a deep breath, and threw up some more. Repeatedly vomited until I dry heaved. Then vomited more. Eventually, fatigue came over me. I lay down on the floor and slept.

When I came to, once again my stomach comvulsed, and I vomited. I was on the floor, on my knees, for a long time. I think this was the second time I caught the flu.

I never really got motion sickness. Not in a car, not on a boat, not on an amusement park ride. I did have trouble on amusement park rides once, in 2007. It wasn't so much motion sickness as a panic attack. You know the bar that comes down over your head and shoulders? On two subsequent rides, they came down and locked in place as I had exhaled. So I was unable to breathe in deeply. That sucked.

sidetracked1 | 29/03/2020

My motion sickness has definitely gotten worse over the years (I'm 59).

Never noticed it at all until I was in my early 30s, when I started getting seasick on boats in rougher weather. By my late 30s I was noticing it on even calmer water. In my 40s I'd notice it when I'd drive hard through the twisties for a long time - which really sucks (and still does) since that's something I love to do. Now, in my 50s, any kind of reading in the car (like navigating) for more than a few seconds can start it going, and airplanes have gotten increasingly difficult (and I often have to fly for work).

It kills me that I can end up feeling sick every time I drive my Model 3 hard for more than a few minutes.

That said, I've found that there are things that help (at least for me) that might be useful for others - less caffeine, a moderately full stomach (neither empty or stuffed) and the old standby dramamine, which seems to actually make a difference if I take it about 30 minutes before being in a situation likely to kick it off. Not a panacea, but it does help, and might be worth a try if you struggle with this.

As to the original post, I agree with all those here who say that once you get used to driving a Tesla, if you choose to drive gently, it can be as smooth a ride as I've found in a car. Takes just a bit to master, and then far less inherently jerky than any ICE I've driven.

That said, I too have found some of the cruise control features can be a bit dicey. I think the car speeding up and slowing down differently than I would instinctively do it can sometimes set up a mild dissonance between my brain/eyes/inner ear. But I find if I go off cruise for a few minutes it goes away pretty fast.

Tronguy | 29/03/2020

@Sarah R: You got my respect. FWIW, back in the day, once I got my sea legs, I never got motion sickness at sea; on the other hand, I was on an aircraft carrier. One day we were cruising through the North Sea; it was the first time in my experience, ever, that a 1500' long ship would go up and down the long rollers and, when standing looking out from the hanger deck, some 35' or so above the waterline, one would find oneself looking _up_ at the wave crests. We actually had a little water breaking over the bow when the ship would nose into the next big wave, although it was mostly froth. Still, impressive, given that the flight deck is 65' above the nominal water line. As it happens, my shop was 'way up forward, as far as one could get by walking on the main deck. If one timed it right, as the ship came off the top of the wave, one could jump straight up, put one's elbows on the overhead, and leave them there for, I guess, what felt like 10 or 15 seconds while the bow on that long ship accelerated down.
As it happens there was a DDG in formation which was bouncing around too much to get refueled from the tanker. So, it pulled up next to the Big Guy and tried refueling from us. It took quite a while before they got that fuel hose strung over, some 30-40 minutes. But, it was impressive: As much as the carrier was moving around, the DDG was playing submarine. It would nose into one of those big waves and it would be green water right over the guns and everything until it hit the bridge and split; the DDG would then shudder and the bow would come up. Each time that happened the whole ship would move all together 10-20 feet to port or starboard.. Making the refueling operation just that more difficult.
Fun.

Magic 8 Ball | 29/03/2020

STOP IT! I now have the drunken sailor song playing over and over again in my head, just STOP IT! : ).

Tronguy | 29/03/2020

:M8B: Aww, just one more. So, in that shop on that day, there was a vertical stantion (=structural pipe, like a lolly pole in one's basement) more or less in the center of the room. One of the more humor impaired types cut out a semi circle of cardboard and taped it to the pipe, round side down, and stuck a piece of string with a nut tied to the end so it made a crude "list" meter. At 25 degrees the cardboard was marked, "Whoa Nellie Port" and "Whoa Nellie Starboard"; at 40 degrees it was marked "Argh! Port" and "Argh! Starboard", and, at 45 degrees, it was "Abandon ship starboard" and "Abandon ship port". Aircraft carriers are top-heavy, y'know.

Lulz I was kidding I love light sea yarns. Local party boat deck hands, in these parts, wager on puke activity since they cannot participate in the jackpot. They do cheat, however, by making stinky concoctions and wafting toward their “horse”.

Tronguy | 29/03/2020

All right, the last story on this one. A day or so later I was dong my usual stint at the all-volunteer Amateur Radio Club on board. We had a spot on the island and a couple-three auto-tuned whips and, besides chatting with $RANDOM hams hither and yon across the globe, we'd run phone patches (remember, this is long before sat phones and such were around) to crew members' families and such.
During this particular day there was an electromagnetic storm; solar flares, probably, that wiped out skip on the HF bands. So, there wasn't much on the air, but we did make contact with a similar club-type on one of the DDG's running around in formation with us. They guy was telling us how they had to strap themselves into their bunks so they wouldn't get flipped out. We told him we were setting up the pool table for another round; he wasn't amused :).

W6ZIU Not mine but I used it to broadcast using my neighbor's license, I was 7 years old.

Sarah R | 29/03/2020

F'n squids! I love all of my shipmates!

@Tronguy unrep is hard enough under optimal conditions. When you're on a DDG in conditions like that you've really got to have faith in your ship, your shipmates and your CO.

LostInTx | 29/03/2020

I've never experienced motion-sickness in a car or on water. My wife occasionally feels a bit of queasiness in our 3 as a passenger. Interestingly, her's doesn't have to do with regen but EAP. even on interstates, she "feels" barely discernible side to side adjustments the car makes while in EAP or NoA modes. It's apparently most noticeable as the car takes curves - the process is just a bit more jittery in EAP than with manual driving. It's getting better, for her, over time but on the first few long trips, she occasionally asked that I disable EAP.

Tronguy | 29/03/2020

@Sarah R: You betcha. On the aforementioned unrep.. For normal refueling, there's one or (I guess) a pair of auto-driven spools of cable, one on each ship, that tension a cable that runs between the two vessels. Draped beneath the cable are multiple loops of, I guess, 6" diameter Really Rugged hose that gets coupled into big-ass pipes on both ships. The ships move up and down, wave and pitch, move back and forth a bit, and the auto-tensioners keep that cable taut without ripping things loose. Aircraft carriers mass 60,000 tons or more; DDGs are several thousand tons.
So, with that DDG on that day: That ship didn't happen to have an auto tensioner. There's a guy sitting on a seat next to the spool on the carrier side with a bunch of levers in front of him; the wire goes up and over with the hose draped onto it, and, at the end, the wire is solidly fixed onto the collar at the end of the hose. From that point, a big-ass rope is tied to the assembly, which then went to a dozen sailors on the midships of that DDG, continued on through a pully and, I was told, to a bunch more sailors below deck also hanging onto that rope. The job: Pull that hose/wire combination onto a big fat pipe that came straight up vertically out of the deck, then did a right-angle bend pointing at the carrier.
It took them 30-40 minutes while I watched, including the break they took halfway through. Every time that DDG would hit a wave the superstructure would wave back and forth and the ship would move sideways this or that away while all those people hung onto the rope while the carrier guy would hit levers back and forth trying to anticipate which way things were going to move. On the DDG side, these guys were in constant danger of being pulled clear off the ship (if the DDG moved away) or fall straight onto their backs, and I don't even want to think about what was going on below decks.
They pulled it off, though. Got that hose onto that pipe and coupled it on within a couple of seconds. Serious stuff, too: DDG's don't have that much range and need all the fuel they can get. As far as running out in weather like that.. I don't know, I was just an airdale member of the ship's company, but that would be Bad.
DDG sailors got my respect.

Earl and Nagin ... | 30/03/2020

@OP.
As another former member of the President's big gray yacht club where I saw quite a few people feed the fish. I spent most of my time on deep draft ships or small boats. I saw that some folks are affected by the long, slow roll of the bigger ships but have no problem in boats tossing around on the waves yet some couldn't handle the quick tossing about but had no problems with the big stuff.
I've seen the same problem with cars. My wife used to have trouble with the sloshy suspension of an old Oldsmobile Cutlass I used to have but has no problem with most cars.
I recommend that the OP take a Tesla for a test ride and see how it affects his motion susceptibility.