Forums

cleaning sunscreen off synthetic leather seats

cleaning sunscreen off synthetic leather seats

I just got a Model S and took my wife and daughter to the beach this weekend. Unfortunately we got a lot of sunscreen residue on the seats from sitting on them when coming back from the beach.

I found a Model S manual online, and it instructs cleaning of "polyurethane" seats (I'm assuming this is the synthetic leather) this way: "Wipe spills as soon as possible using a soft cloth moistened with warm water and non- detergent soap. Wipe gently in a circular motion. After cleaning, allow the seats to air dry."

Does anyone have a recommendation of the type of soap to use for this purpose? I haven't tried anything yet, but since our sunscreen is zinc-based, I'm thinking it may not be easy to remove the residue.

cfishkin01 | 08/07/2018

I had sunscreen all over the black passenger side door panel. Used ArmorAll and it worked well.

Run4Waffles | 09/07/2018

The Tesla SvC (Service Center) uses Meguiar's Detailer All Purpose Cleaner. It’s was green in color in the bottle.

project880 | 09/07/2018

Baby wipes worked for me

jordanrichard | 09/07/2018

Just use any mild cleaner.

timrobert.nyc | 10/07/2018

Thanks for everyone's help :)

Bill_75D | 10/07/2018

Next time use a beach towel

timrobert.nyc | 11/07/2018

One follow up question. Does anyone know if it's OK to let the sunscreen film stay on the seats for a few days? Because often I don't have a chance to clean the seats right away. And Bill_75D - yes, we all sat on beach towels, but no matter what you do, sunscreen gets on the seats - especially with an 8-year-old ;)

jordanrichard | 11/07/2018

Since the seats are an oil based product, I don't see much hurting it except solvent/acid based products.

mschilli | 15/06/2019

We have the same problem, and it's not just a beach day problem. I wear sunscreen every day to avoid sun damage and if I'm wearing short sleeves, my arm gets suncreen on my seat and on the center console. It's a bummer.

gene.h.huang | 07/09/2019

Below is my experience for my Tesla 3 just this summer, hope it helps!
I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r4QaSjQwkc so I went out and bought the recommended MEGUIAR'S D10801 Super Degreaser from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006SH4HS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...
I used the recommended 10:1 ratio to dilute but it didn't work.
My son had the same problem with his Tesla 3 and he used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JIIZCM6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_t8DBDbCTPF9TW and it worked very well for him but not on my Tesla 3.
Probably due to different sunscreen uses different chemical, some cleaners work and some don't but I didn't give up, I went back to the MEGUIAR'S D10801 Super Degreaser and changed the ratio to 4:1 for heavy duty application recommended on the MEGUIAR'S D10801 Super Degreaser itself. It finally got rid of about 80-90% of the sunscreen. I guess I had spent too much time searching and waiting for products to arrive from Amazon, etc.. by the time I got to apply the cleaner, some damage is already done and I couldn't completely remove all the stains. A painful lesson learned, but I hope my experience help you all.