Forums

Error “power reduced- exit and re-enter car- may restore operation

Error “power reduced- exit and re-enter car- may restore operation

While i was driving from work to my home on the highway 75 south (i live in GA), my tesla model 3 display this Error “power reduced- exit and re-enter car- may restore operation.” So when i went home, i did exit and reenter my car (error disappeared). Anyone has the same error with model 3? Thank you!

D7calvin | 18/07/2018

While i was driving from work to my home on the highway 75 south (i live in GA), my tesla model 3 display this Error “power reduced- exit and re-enter car- may restore operation.” So when i went home, i did exit and reenter my car (error disappeared). Anyone has the same error with model 3? Thank you!

aaronlevenson | 24/08/2018

I just had this as well. I exited and re-entered and it seems to have solved itself. Did it ever re-occur?.

tina.l.ohara | 24/08/2018

I received the same error twice this week. It resolved itself when I exited and re-entered. Does anyone have an idea why this error popped up?

Tyme Traveller | 24/08/2018

Pardon my confusion. When you say " exit and re-enter car" do you mean you personally have to get out of the car, close the door, then get back in?

4noble | 24/08/2018

Had the same problem. We exited the car, walked around once clockwise and then once counter clockwise, got back in and all was good. I joke, but we did have to get out and get back in. I asked when I took it for service, for some cosmetic thing, and they said to call right when it happens next time and they can diagnose it

4noble | 24/08/2018

Had the same problem. We exited the car, walked around once clockwise and then once counter clockwise, got back in and all was good. I joke, but we did have to get out and get back in. I asked when I took it for service, for some cosmetic thing, and they said to call right when it happens next time and they can diagnose it

joe.lynn.atp | 24/08/2018

Is this the Chinese fire drill error? Oops, that’s probably politically incorrect, isn’t it?

CST | 24/08/2018

Me Chinese; me play joke; me go.... nevermind!

RangerRick | 04/09/2018

FYI, I had this issue happen during the holiday weekend

I called support right away based on your comment 4noble and they told me something along the lines of: The high voltage system showed a fault. Opening and closing a door causes it to re-initialize some things and reset itself.

I did so and everything worked again.

The support person I talked to recommended that when you see an issue like this, IMMEDIATELY file a bug report (I did voice control "bug report power reduced error"). When a bug report is filed, a bunch of extra telemetry and logs get sent along with it so the development team can try deeper to figure out what happened and hopefully work around it in future firmware updates.

ST70 | 04/09/2018

I had the same thing happen...but I walked around twice clockwise...hope that fixed it

RedPillSucks | 04/09/2018

sigh....
Maybe I should rethink my 700 mile road trip in October, if I get my car...

wayne | 04/09/2018

Remind me ... how do you file a bug report?

Lorenzryanc | 05/09/2018

"Note: You can also use voice commands to
provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note",
"Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" followed
by your brief comments. Model 3 takes a
snapshot of its systems, including your current
location, vehicle diagnostic data, and screen
captures of the touchscreen. Tesla periodically
reviews these notes and uses them to
continue improving Model 3"

N54 | 06/10/2018

Car was towed to the service center less than 24hr after taking delivery for “cannot maintain vehicle power” and “unable to drive” warnings. They ended up changing the front body controller module. Was on my way home from picking up the car and got the “power reduced” warning. Back at the service center again. I already got my first bill and still haven’t had the car in my possession for more than 24hrs.

tom.ngo | 06/10/2018

I had the same issue. Mine was oil pump. They fixed it and got my car back in a day.

N54 | 12/10/2018

Car is still at the shop....apparently it’s a connector in the front of the car which requires a wiring harness to be changed. No details if it’s a high voltage harness/connector. Just that its in the front and not a “main” harness. Let’s hope that’s really the case. Already one failed attempt. Car has been in the shop 13 days now and have only had it in my possession for less than 24hr.

shawncordell | 01/11/2018

Had this issue today on the way to pick up my son from school. Immediately turned around and went home and called tesla roadside. After rebooting/resetting the car, all errors went away(on my end and Tesla’s). Oh, on the way home, I had zero regen. Rebooting fixed everything.

Error message: reduced power(exit and re-enter to restore operation) - and regen no longer available.

Thanks tesla. I was off the phone in under 15 minutes.

spuzzz123 | 01/11/2018

@tom.ngo. Oil pump. Lol

Frank99 | 01/11/2018

spuzz -
You don't believe the Model 3 has an oil pump? I'm afraid you're mistaken.

ItsChristine | 03/12/2018

Same error here - thanks to this thread, I filed a bug report after the 3rd incident in <24 hours. Service center diagnosed as it as a faulty oil pump for the drive unit. It has been repaired, tested over 30 miles (I granted them permission to drive it to ensure the fix worked) and is ready for pick-up today.

Coastal Cruiser. | 03/12/2018

This oil pump business is significant. Not only is it indicative that it's not just electrical issues that can trigger such messages, it [obviously] means the pump is being monitored and car will stop working rather than have the gearbox blow up for lack of lubrication. Not every car would react that way.

ODWms | 04/12/2018

I’ll have you folks know that I am 1/32 Chinese on my mother’s cousin’s sister’s side, and I am highly offended at your attempts at humor!!!!

motonosh | 09/12/2018

I had the same error (discovered 11/30) and took it to Tesla that day. I'm still waiting to get my car back. I had my car for 10 days before this error and haven't seen it since. What drives me nuts is I discovered the same error appeared the day of my initial delivery appointment (which was pushed back) which means they never diagnosed it properly the first time to resolve it.

The only saving grace is they gave me a Model S as a loaner.

motonosh | 10/12/2018

Just heard back from Tesla - looks like this error can be any number of things:

"Your vehicle has been diagnosed and they found the wrong drive unit was installed in your vehicle at the factory. The drive unit currently in the rear of the vehicle is a base drive unit and a performance drive unit should be installed."

ledsall | 13/12/2018

Dual motor model 3 with same failure message had the car for 2 weeks. Remote diagnosis is rear motor oil pump. Maximum speed is 52 mph. Dealership did well via email and text. Guess I’m lucky it’s dual motor. Car is 3 weeks old.

sendaero | 15/02/2019

Just had the car serviced for a cosmetic issue, and when I was driving it off the lot I got this message... I called my coordinator and they said bring it back. They said it could be the drive unit... still waiting to hear back.

Ducaroo | 26/03/2019

I just got the "Power reduced", "Car needs service" message yesterday. Regenerative braking is also gone. Otherwise totally reliable till this problem came up. We'll see what service center says tomorrow.

P3D+, 5200miles and trip from Bay Area to Tempe, Az planned this weekend. Ha, ha...

Carl Thompson | 26/03/2019

@Ducaroo:
"Otherwise totally reliable till this problem came up."

_Everything_ is totally reliable before the first problem comes up! ;-)

naren.ravi88 | 03/11/2019

Last night while driving home I hit part of a dead deer on the highway. I swerved as much as I could to avoid it but I still managed to hit some part of the deer. I checked under the car and I see some flesh and blood of the deer in the between the front wheels (right in the center between them). There is also blood from the passenger side door to rear wheel. I think I swerved enough so that only the passenger front wheel went over it... I am not a 100% sure now.

I pulled over and noticed a bunch of liquid leaking :( . I am afraid It was going to be battery coolant or something. Within a few minutes I got the same error about power reduced - OK to drive but schedule a service appointment when convenient. Another warning about my speed will be limited. Shortly after my GPS was stuck + rear back up camera became completely dark. I called Tesla road side assistance and told that the car is showing alarms of coolant being low and GPS sending unknown error messages.

The car is now sitting in my driveway (GPS says it is parked on the highway). I've contacted my insurance company and informed them about the damage. I hope my insurance covers all of this because my car is less than a month old :(

Lonestar10_1999 | 03/11/2019

Hopefully you will get reimbursement for a rental car because from what you described, your M3 is going to be in the body shop for a long time. Sorry but it’s a jungle out there.

Bighorn | 03/11/2019

@naren
I was convoying with a new 3 that hit a coyote, we think, and ended up the same as you. Radiator leak. Took about a month to get fixed, but you could see broken plastic and bent metal. Insurance should cover if you have comprehensive, which you must I imagine. You’ll be responsible for the deductible, but your rates shouldn’t be affected. It’s counterintuitive, but it’s probably better to try to run over things with your wheels and not try to clear them. Avoiding them altogether is obviously the best approach.

gvkarthik93 | 25/11/2019

Guys, I got my new model 3 two days back and I am getting this error. Tried exiting and re-entering car again. Still shows the error. Scheduled service but how long does it take to fix this? Damn! Didn't expect this from a new car.

Tronguy | 25/11/2019

@gvkarthik93: The right answer for this is, "Dunno." Previous posters apparently Ran Over Things which damaged coolant pipes. You didn't mention hitting something, so it's more likely a defect from the factory.
Fixing bent hardware means metal-bending plus parts. Fixing a factory defect is probably more like a part, so, in principle and madly guessing, should take less time.
Having been through a couple of warranty repair work cycles: The first one the service center immediately gave the SO a Model S loaner. The second run through the maze, months later, resulted in vouchers for Uber and, after it was verified that it might take a while, another Model S. In both cases the car was returned in excellent shape.
Availability of loaners appears to vary on just how busy the SC is and some juggling on how to keep the maximum number of owners happy. Good luck! And let us know how it all turned out.

mfrey | 06/12/2019

I just had this happen to me as well. I pulled over, got out of the car. Got back in. The message went away and was fine on the drive home. Should I schedule a service appointment?

Magic 8 Ball | 06/12/2019

@mfrey If the message does not persist no SC appointment is required. The message will stay on screen and not go away if the car needs service.

patrick0101 | 19/01/2020

Happened to our Model 3 too. Running 2019.40.50.7. It appears to still be an occasional issue. It went away after following the instructions. I don't plan on making a service center appointment, but next time we there for something else, I'll mention it.