Forums

Horrid Model 3 Dash Creak Started 1.5 Weeks after Delivery

Horrid Model 3 Dash Creak Started 1.5 Weeks after Delivery

So, I’ve Read a ton of forums regarding model 3 dash rattles and so forth. I feel like this is much different. It’s a “screeching” or almost metal against metal. A thin metal against something. Here’s a video: https://youtu.be/9aZWnbZuKNI
Anyone else suffereing from this loud noise at 1mph - infinity mph?

vndosamp | 13/04/2019

I have an appointment on Monday for noise in the dash (maybe steering column area). This will be their second attempt to resolve. Issue at slow speed on rough pavement since taking delivery last June. Got an email from SC on Friday saying they needed me to approve payment of $175 before coming in. Not happy about this. SC guy was texting me and left me pretty annoyed heading into weekend. Interested to see what Monday brings.

Carl Thompson | 14/04/2019

@vndosamp

Why are they saying they need money from you? Are they saying they won't fix the rattle under the warranty?

vndosamp | 15/04/2019

At SC now. They will not look at the issue unless I agree to approve $175 in payment for them to investigate. They tell me that rattles and noises in the dash are not covered via warranty unless there is a proven defect. Said the last time they looked at the issue for me was only a courtesy. Total BS and a lot of attitude from SC manager and agent assigned. Very annoyed with the experience!

SteveWin1 | 15/04/2019

I've got a rattle coming from the center screen. If I press or pull on the corner it stops. Probably just need to tighten a bolt or something. Not something I would ever go to a SC for. Just turn the music up and damage your hearing to the point that you can't hear it anymore. Problem solved.

Carl Thompson | 15/04/2019

@vndosamp:
"At SC now. They will not look at the issue unless I agree to approve $175 in payment for them to investigate. They tell me that rattles and noises in the dash are not covered via warranty unless there is a proven defect."

Which service center is this? I've had _many_ rattles diagnosed and fixed by the service center under the warranty and never been asked to pay.

As many rattles as I've had in my 3 if Tesla's new policy is they won't fix rattles under the warranty then for sure this is my last Tesla.

Carl Thompson | 15/04/2019

@vndosamp:
"At SC now. They will not look at the issue unless I agree to approve $175 in payment for them to investigate. They tell me that rattles and noises in the dash are not covered via warranty unless there is a proven defect."

Which service center is this? I've had _many_ rattles diagnosed and fixed by the service center under the warranty and never been asked to pay.

As many rattles as I've had in my 3 if Tesla's new policy is they won't fix rattles under the warranty then for sure this is my last Tesla.

gump59 | 16/04/2019

Took mine into a service center, was diagnosed as a loose VIN plate for the same noise as OP. It went away for a day then returned. Their "fix" for it was this: https://ibb.co/RzmqHN1

pieces of foam wedged between the windshield / vin plate and dashboard.... and glued into place there. The foam is visible from the driver's seat. I responded to the SC managers followup email with this information and will see how they respond. I consider their fix to be a defacement of my vehicle instead of a proper fix.

Additionally, the rattle was initially notices about 1-1.5 weeks after I accepted delivery

vndosamp | 19/04/2019

@Carl Thompson, Santa Clara, CA SC. And they told me the $175 is going up to $195 this week. Unfortunately, they have not resolved my issue and I don't expect they will now. Very frustrating!

darren2ii | 16/06/2019

I have a similar issue where I hear rattling sound near the dashboard area and I have nothing inside my glovebox. Plan to take the car in to have Tesla take a look and hopefully have them fix it. https://youtu.be/Olm1P4mtrfk

Pages