Forums

Auto charger Queue

Auto charger Queue

Even here in Toledo, I'm seeing an increase in fast charger use. By 'increase' I mean three Tesla's instead of one. When model 3's start selling at $35,000 there may be lines at the chargers. At a gas station or grocery store, lines form easily. Tesla charges are side-by-side and not in rows.

Has Tesla considered an automatic numbering system that pops up on the car display when you pull in near a busy charging station?

jordanrichard | 21/11/2018

Well, no one here knows of anything in the works. Though this has been discussed for literal years because in CA there is a problem with crowded SCs. Tesla’s plan is to have superchargers about 50 miles apart which would help elevate the crowds.

Earl and Nagin ... | 21/11/2018

Don't forget that Model 3 owners pay for supercharging at about the same price as electricity. Therefore, it is just as cheap and more convenient for them to charge at home. The exception, of course is those who live in places without charging capability.

NKYTA | 21/11/2018

Ayep.

bp | 22/11/2018

With V3 Superchargers, the plan has been to begin deploying "automatic" charging connections. Tesla demonstrated a "snake" that would automatically find the charging port and insert itself. This was planned to be used initially during the coast-to-coast FSD demonstration, that has now been pushed out to next year.

If the superchargers do automatic connections in the future, opening the possibility for cars to drive themselves to a supercharger, do the charging, and then leave - clearly they would have to automate the queueing...

jordanrichard | 22/11/2018

bp, I don't recall reading anything about V3 superchargers being the "snake" chargers. V3 is to be the 150 kwh chargers.

EVRider | 22/11/2018

I doubt the “snake” charger will ever happen. When it becomes necessary to provide charging without driver intervention, there will probably be better and cheaper options, for example hiring an attendant at supercharger stations.

Yodrak. | 22/11/2018

"I doubt the “snake” charger will ever happen."

I agree.

NKYTA | 22/11/2018

I might agree, but Elon likes cool. And the snake charger is so cool.

Yodrak. | 22/11/2018

"Elon likes cool."

Elon has also been know to recognize practicality at times, such as when he abandoned the idea of having facilities that would change out the battery pack in 1 minute took up the idea of charging stations instead.

bp | 23/11/2018

One of Tesla's goals for the AutoPilot program is to offer the Tesla Network, an opportunity for Tesla owners to put their vehicles to use as ride sharing vehicles, driving under FSD, generating some revenue, while the vehicles aren't being used by the owners. The Tesla Network will likely require automatic charging.

Musk has also stated the coast-to-coast FSD demonstration would be done without human interaction, including the charging stops. Plus, he's often mentioned the ability to use the advanced Summons that will be part of FSD to summon your car, even if it's far away - also requiring automatic charging.

Other than the early demos of the "snake" connector, we haven't seen anything about this technology - and this could be one of the reasons why Tesla has delayed deployment of the V3 superchargers, like the delays they had with the Model X to get the Falcon Wing Doors working properly.

It's possible we won't see it - though compared to the battery pack swaps (that would only have worked if Tesla owned the battery packs, and was leasing them to owners - rather than trying to track each owner's battery pack and getting it back to them after a trip), automatic charger connectors make more sense - plus could be another feature competitors will have difficulty matching, with their reliance on 3rd party long distance charging networks.

pleaving | 23/11/2018

It seems to me that while the "snake" charging will not be profitable to some extent, it will not be introduced.

EVRider | 23/11/2018

@bp: Not sure I agree that there will be a need to charge cars with no one in them, but even so, that could be easily addressed by having attendants at charging stations. Maybe not as cool as the snake charger, but it does the job and it doesn’t require retrofitting thousands of superchargers.

Dig-n-Tesla | 23/11/2018

Maybe if vehicles began feeding kWh back to the chargers when done folks mights get a giddiup and move on down the road.

ELM | 23/11/2018

To the original posters idea of some type of formal queuing systems when all stations are full, how about an automatic walk up check in kiosk that allocates position in the queu with the click of a fob or proximity of card? Other details to work out but all feasible. Or a geo based check in on screen such as suggested.

Regardless of the check in method, thoughts on the need now or in future of a formal queu system?

danmiller | 24/11/2018

Thanks for the replies. I'm 53 and having my doubts that there will be 'full' autopilot before i kick it.

I am a controls engineer and work for a supplier of Tesla. Our model 3 production numbers are increasing. I think an orderly system should be put in place now instead of waiting for that pie in the sky.

mercury | 24/11/2018

À l’idée originale des affiches de mettre en place un système formel de mise en file d’attente lorsque toutes les stations sont pleines, qu’en est-il de la vérification automatique dans les kiosques qui attribue la position dans la file d’attente avec un clic de fob ou la proximité d’une carte? Autres détails à régler mais tous réalisables. Ou une vérification géo à l'écran telle que suggérée.

À l’idée originale des affiches de mettre en place un système formel de mise en file d’attente lorsque toutes les stations sont pleines, qu’en est-il de la vérification automatique dans les kiosques qui attribue la position dans la file d’attente avec un clic de fob ou la proximité d’une carte? Autres détails à régler mais tous réalisables. Ou une vérification géo à l'écran telle que suggérée.

https://downloader.vip/malwarebytes/ https://filezilla.software/ https://notepad.software/

TeslaTap.com | 24/11/2018

Well, as far as I can see (which admittedly may be wrong) Tesla has been building out the Superchargers as fast as needed. In addition to new locations, many existing stations have been expanded multiple times. Some new locations are getting 40 stalls! So for the moment, it's mostly a non-problem.

Tesla has the advantage of 100% monitoring and knowing where cars are being sold. This allows for a reasonable amount of forecasting needs. I'm sure there are occasional flaws, but for the most part they seem to be doing a good job. Perhaps NYKTA or Bighorn can add their perspective as major Supercharger users. Other automakers without their own network have almost no information. They will be flying blind to the needs of their traveling customers and I'm sure it will be messy!

As for the future, I also expect robotic charging of some sort, but not for another few years. It just makes good sense and allows for better utilization of the charging stalls. Cars can be removed as soon as charging completes - making the stall open for another car. Now on the down side, it wouldn't surprise me if the robotic charger required a new car/connection, so that robot stalls are restricted to some future cars that also can take higher power limits. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out :)

NKYTA | 24/11/2018

SuperCharging waits are really a non-issue.

San Diego is a bit of a mess. Most NorCal and SoCal chargers can be over budget at peak times.

The rest of the country, not so much.

Of 382 unique, I’ve waited in line at 2. And don’t get me started at the power outage at Mojave due to 70mph winds. ;-)

jhntseng | 23/12/2018

One nice feature with snake auto correct/disconnect coupled with summon can levitate the congested Charging station. When arriving at SC, each car is assigned in queue at a known parking space. Acknowledge the queuing request and walkoff your car.... when finished, the car will move itself to the staging area for you and no need to return for it...

wisam.alrawi | 23/12/2018

San Diego (Qualcomm SC) line is now 6 cars on average. Sometimes, I see Teslas just leaving the queue just because of it. Again, the Model 3 is definitely pushing the limits of the current SC network. Tesla, we need more SC ASAP pls.

From what I've seen:
1. They put a sign saying to limit SC to 40 min to allow for other people to get to charge.
2. There is now an attendant that let cars waiting inline to know when a spot is available. The SC @ Qualcomm is stacked back to back and sometimes it's difficult to spot when someone leaves.

We're still waiting for more SC to open around San Diego area.

reed_lewis | 20/03/2019

"One nice feature with snake auto correct/disconnect coupled with summon can levitate the congested Charging station." Your car levitates above the ground? That would be cool!

I think you mean alleviate.

reed_lewis | 20/03/2019

...And also the car does not auto correct. It could auto connect though.