Forums

1 week in to ownership

1 week in to ownership

Ordered my car Nov 1st, got it last week.

I am coming from a high powered Subaru and Porsche 911. I actually sold my 911 to make the Tesla purchase happen.

And so far, not 1 regret. Car is a tad faster than my Subaru was. The handling isn't quite 911'ish but it still handles very well for a sedan.

The all seasons it comes with are ok, but if you live in an area that gets a lot of snow, you will want a dedicated winter tire setup. With AWD it really wasn't bad, but I can imagine the RWD being a bit dicey in deeper snow.

with slip mode on, you can have quite a bit of fun in the snow with this car. Drifts easily and is easily controlled. I am running Toyo winters, they are an amazing tire. Ran them on my Subaru and loved them on that car also.

The traction control on this car is out of this world. You rarely feel it kicking in even when driving the car hard, its hard to tell its doing something. Love the interior layout, the seats are very comfortable.

The car isn't perfect though. The auto wipers are horrible. Hope they fix that soon. The car makes a lot of noises when off and in my garage. Lots of humming, clicking and knocking, and its not even plugged in so curious if people are hearing the same thing. Winter range is pretty bad. Wasn't all that cold out yesterday, had heat on at 19, driver heated seats on. I did 41Km's one way and it cost me about 85km in range. pretty much double. Glad I got the long range battery.

Bulldawg | 13/12/2018

I'm only 21 hours in, but so far I couldn't be more pleased. Driving is a dream. I've never been a "car guy" - came from a 2012 Camry that was totaled after being rear ended a couple months ago. We do have a 2017 BMW X5 that I drive on weekends so I'm at least familiar with a nice vehicle and my new Model 3 compares very favorably. My range anxiety is already almost gone - in 50 degree weather yesterday I got better than rated and this morning in 38 degree weather I got a little less. Reading this forum has helped me understand why that is, so thanks to all of you.

I get free charging at my office building so I may (almost) never pay for fuel again. Putting a 240v outlet in the garage in our new house just in case.

Rain forecast tomorrow so I'll make sure I learn how to use the wipers before I go to sleep.

I have a feeling I'll be grinning for a while.

Kathy Applebaum | 13/12/2018

Congratulations to both of you!

Vsanva | 13/12/2018

Day 3 is today,
Well made points. Car does do things when off and charging in the garage.

Larger battery is a must with all the things that affect range, I don’t want to be trying to hypermile all the time.

AWD is plenty fast, seating is comfortable enough.... I will spring for the autopilot as TACC is handy on any road even lower mph ones.

PaulBtoo | 13/12/2018

Yes, the car is really cool to drive and quite the conversation starter. I have had it for 2 weeks. I have 2 observations that I hope will be read by Tesla and taken as constructive criticism for future improvements. I now have a vested interest in Tesla succeeding for the longggg term.
The first is the auto mode of the wipers. I was in a light to moderate drizzle and the wipers were not keeping up to the point of difficulty seeing the road. I simply switched to manual. The wipers need to go just a little bit more often.
The second is the voice control. I find the voice control is excellent at interpreting what is said but very poor at executing the commands. I think I saw that this was in beta which would explain a lot. I did have a Ford CMAX before it was rear ended and totaled. The voice feature appears to have been one of the best at executing the correct commands.

Great car, wonderful to drive!!! Keep on improving.

sroh | 13/12/2018

Congrats to the new owners! We're now 8 months in and 3 months in with ours and we are still thrilled. I agree with the auto setting on the windshield wipers. But I expect it will get fixed in an upcoming software update.

One issue with our AWD was the rated range at 100% charge never got above 300. But we recently received v46.2 and this morning, our rated range was 306 miles. Just keeps getting better. This is the most expensive car we've ever purchased, but it's also the highest value per cost car we have ever purchased.

joshturnernj | 13/12/2018

Today marks just over a week with my Model 3!!!

I do have a concern, & wonder if anyone else shares this. Are the brakes in general not great? I feel like I have to slam on them to get the car to stop. Because it's always cold right now, the regenerative braking is constantly limited, so I can't really depend on that. Love the car otherwise though!

CMHTesla | 13/12/2018

Less than 24 hours of ownership, driven from the service center to home last night about 14miles or so. I was a little nervous driving it as I have been driving the same car(prior to M3) for the last 14 years, M3 is a totally different car. I am loving it so far. Yes I agree the car makes a lot of noises while parked, was wondering if other experienced the same.

One thing I noticed was the car felt heavy driving, meaning I didn't think it was smooth, maybe that is because I was nervous? and I didn't try to accelerate it hard at all. Did any of you experience the same?

I must say my M3 is LR AWD.

AWDTesla | 13/12/2018

No, this is the smoothest ride I've been in in a long time!

rsingh05 | 13/12/2018

@AWDTesla - glad to know you are enjoying it!

The handling can be improved - I'm seeing great reviews for the MPP aftermarket springs and if you get max performance summer tires with that, you should be pleasantly surprised. I have had my 3 with 20" max perf summer tires for over a month and has the ride quality and acceleration of a BMW M5 and grip/precision of a 911. Couldn't be happier!!

ReD eXiLe ms us | 13/12/2018

Congratulations to all new owners. I think it says a lot that the biggest nitpick seems to be eitherwindshield wipers or handling compared to sports cars that weigh hundreds of pounds less. Both of which are issues that are FiXeD in time with experience, over-the-air updates or appropriate hardware changes.

motonosh | 13/12/2018

Glad you had a nice experience. I got 10 days into ownership before a 'Power Reduced' error and now it's been 14 days without the car. Getting antsy.

The enhanced autopilot is awesome, I just hope they extend my trial since I didn't get to play with it for very long.

M3phan | 13/12/2018

Love all the positive reviews! I’m a grinning idiot Day 1 reservationist, delivery this past July. Love driving this car every time. And although it’s a relatively early build, Vin 29,xxx and had some fairly big SC visits in the first two months, the car has been virtually problem free ever since. I accept that as the deal with being an early adopter. The tech works great for me. No phone probs at all, no key card probs, EAP and NoA work great, love the sound system, ride is very nice, range has been spot on. Having a great time! As for the noises the car makes parked in the garage, it’s just going through it’s evening and early morning mediations and stretches before I take it out again.

mljcl.schwarz | 13/12/2018

6 months in I love my model 3 and these observations are right on. I love my car but you are right about the AUTO function on wipers is absolutely horrible, the only thing I really dislike about the car. The only other thing I don't like is no AM radio, I can't listen to my local sport station in Chicago that also doesn't stream