Forums

Selling a vanity plate, how's it done?

Selling a vanity plate, how's it done?

I have a set of NY license plates, (TESLA 1) in storage at my local DMV and wish to sell them. Does anyone know how to go about it?

EVRider | 28/01/2019

If the plates are still registered, I don’t think it’s legal to sell them. If the plates aren’t registered, you can do what you want but they won’t be registered to the buyer either. If they are registered, contact the NY DMV and see if they provide any options for transferring plates to a different owner.

wwws56a | 28/01/2019

Yes they are still registered, the DMV holds vanity plates you want to keep and not want on a car temporarily for up to a year and a few months.
I was hoping someone had done this before and I would not have to go back to the DMV unnecessarily.

EVRider | 28/01/2019

If you already have a buyer who wants the plates, you can make them do the legwork with the DMV. :-)

wwws56a | 28/01/2019

Thanks that sounds like a plan, now to find a buyer. The physical plate are in Huntington, NY that might make it a bit tough to find someone who wants to make the trip, but I'll give it a shot. If I don't find someone they'll be on my KIA Sorento.