Forums

What is Tesla doing about extremely slow body repair times

What is Tesla doing about extremely slow body repair times

Does anyone know who I can contact at Tesla regarding slow body repair times - new Tesla Model 3 has been at body shop for 3 weeks with a huge list parts still with an unknown ETA - for a front bumper "fender bender" If I had known the delay times I would have never gone with Tesla - later car runs out in a week and would like to know what I can do to connect with someone at Tesla.

Magic 8 Ball | 31/01/2019

In your account you will find a place to "request help". Use that form to make your inquiry.

greg | 31/01/2019

And as a follow up to the future plans for reducing such delays?

Musk said yesterday that they are going to fully stock common parts including bumpers/fenders, already painted in the common colours, so such damage could be repaired in 15-20 minutes if you have a standard colour.

He does admit they've been pretty boneheaded (his words) about parts.
And that sorting out service is his 2019 challenge.

So, I am sure the next time you have a fender bender you will find it a much better experience.

Earl and Nagin ... | 31/01/2019

Here's a hint at what Tesla is doing about the original question in the title of this post:
https://insideevs.com/tesla-lathrop-site-parts-distribution-center-video/
It won't be instant but, as always, they appear to be creating a long-term solution. I understand that this won't help the OP's current issue but it means that again, your Tesla will become even more valuable in the future as Tesla improves the availability of parts.

jamespompi | 31/01/2019

My body work (both bumpers and hood repaint) only took a week and a half, but it took over 3 months to get the car in the shop.. Fortunately I was able to drive the car after the incident until they were ready (just scratches and gouges) Is it a Tesla repair center or a certified shop? I stayed in contact with the head of Tesla's body shop at my service center via personal cell phone number..

TeslaTap.com | 31/01/2019

@mrcritser - If you base your car purchase on speed of repairs after accidents you get into, then pick low cost high volume car like a Toyota Yaris. High volume cars get into a lot more accidents, so more parts are on hand to repair them, and third-parties are willing to make cheaper replacement parts (of varying quality).

Sorry to say, it could be more weeks before your car is ready. Tesla clearly can get better, but other low volume cars often have similar waits for parts and repairs. There are are a number of other reasons for slow repairs. I wrote this guide to explain really what goes on behind the scenes with body repairs: https://teslatap.com/articles/tesla-accident-repair-guide/ It doesn't make it easier, but at least you can watch out for some of the things that can happen and perhaps speed some things up.

M3phan | 31/01/2019

Gotta be patient as this aspect improves, I’ve been waiting for 4 weeks for s replacement tail light assembly and a replacement driver seat. They’ll get here, eventually. ; )

terminator9 | 31/01/2019

It took 5 weeks for my BMW to get repaired with accident damage as they had to order the parts from Germany. Yes the damage was more than what you have but just saying it's not like Tesla is the worst.

RES IPSA | 31/01/2019

M3phan.... I have been waiting since Sept. 2018 for the same thing.

RES IPSA | 31/01/2019

taillight assembly unit, not the seat

ccfiiimd | 01/02/2019

I am in New Mexico, and a few weeks after buying my beautiful red Model 3, there was a fender bender. The rear bumper was gouged, and perfectly drivable. I used Car Crafters in Albuquerque, They are a Tesla certified repair shop. They did a great job and fixed the gouge for about $1200. They took about a week and a half to do the repair.

Of note, this occurred because I was backing out of a supermarket parking lot, just looking at the rearview camera. The other driver was texting in the parking lot at about 15 to 20 miles an hour when she ran into me. I didn’t see her until it was absolutely too late. Our Toyota Highlander would have warned us with a chime about the oncoming car. The Model 3 does not have that feature. I now look both ways and don’t depend on the camera.

mrcritser | 01/02/2019

Yes, using Amatos - certified for Tesla - understand that things can be slow doe to low volume car, but parts missing are fair standard and car was deemed "undriveable" are the front radar was affected in the collision.

jamespompi | 01/02/2019

Also watch out for the certified shops pricing.. There are only 2 anywhere remotely close to me, one of which is certainly is price gouging for repairs.. Long complicated story, but originally Tesla rejected my body repair even though its on of the few collision centers, so I went to the certified shop who quoted 11k for fixing the scratches. Worried about my premium exploding or insurance just dropping me, I begged Tesla to do it to which they agreed (and some company changes were made) and they charged me 2300 for the same work..

dougk71 | 01/02/2019

Tesla is prioritizing maximum production. This means a body panel will go on a new car first. Panels surplus to production are available as spares. The issue is accidents do happen and with some frequency and the service frustration is often around waiting for a spare part to be available. My car failed within 4 days but I was lucky that the parts were sent to the service center that week. The service executive for Tesla left perhaps realizing if you don't have parts you can't deliver service. Response time on flat tires isn't really the service problem. Part delays cause more customer calls per service incident and in turn overload the call system creating more bad outcomes.
I suspect that moving the inadequate spares they have on hand closer to the customer will just redistribute the shortages and will cause a center with adequate parts not want to share a part to another center

apodbdrs | 01/02/2019

My understanding is that TESLA does not do body repairs, they are done by TESLA certified repair shops. The biggest delay is in parts, because TESLA is still in production hell, so it is going to take sometime until there sufficient inventory to satisfy both production demands and repairs. TESLA is doing everything they can to catch up and still maintain a profit if they are to stay in business. Best thing is to be really alert to avoid an accident, otherwise you will be waiting a very long time to get your car repaired.

M3BlueGeorgia | 01/02/2019

By slowly responding to repair issues, especially crash-related repairs, Tesla are leaving a lot of money on the table.

Yes, they've been maximizing new production, but shortening the body-repair pipeline timeframe would generate immediate revenue with a higher margin than selling new cars.

TeslaTap.com | 01/02/2019

@doug - a lot of speculation acting as fact - odd considering your own experience was great.

One the great things about Tesla is they are always improving the design and parts. This means when you buy a Tesla you're getting up to date designs and tech. Other automakers freeze most if not all of a car's design and parts for years, so the car you buy may have many parts that are known to be failure prone or have other faults, but are left in production far longer than you'd want. In extreme cases, like the GM lock fiasco, it took 10 years to get a corrected part into production.

The downside to Tesla's approach is some parts on your car are not being used anymore in new production. Production volumes have nothing to do with these parts, but the old ones much be made in tiny batches to support accident repairs. For example there are at least 3 and likely 4 different front bumper covers for the Model S over the years and they have had 14 different colors - something like 40+ variations, of which only 7 are in use today.

Then there are parts like fenders. The repair fendors are totally different than those used in production. This is because a replacement fender has to be installed quite differently than those on the production line - so Tesla designed and makes a special fendor (for the 4 corners of the car) that are never used in production.

Anyway, my point is your assertion that production is prioritized over repair parts is conjecture, one I disagree with. Now I'm not saying Tesla is doing a great job with parts, and clearly we'd love them to do better than the rest of the industry. I loved the example Elon gave on Wednesday where a car repair in China needed a part, which is made in China. The part travels to the Tesla New Jersey warehouse, where it then has to travel back to China. Crazy! I'm glad they are working on improving the parts system.

Camurali | 17/06/2019

Hi,

My car involved in an accident three months back. Still at the repair shop. Keep hearing different reasons for the delay.

The final version is that the tire pressure controller module is not working and someone from TESLA has to check and fix it.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 17/06/2019

It is known.

Collision repairs, insurance companies, body shops and
Tesla Submitted by archibaldcrane on December 11, 2012
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/collision-repairs-insurance-compan...

Is the rest of the Auto Industry asleep??
Submitted by electric pilot on December 16, 2014
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/rest-auto-industry-asleep

repair times
Submitted by sambstl on April 4, 2016
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/repair-times

My Model X been in repair shop for more than 3 months - I want this to be heard by TESLA ASAP
Submitted by chayapathy on November 3, 2017
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/my-model-x-been-repair-shop-more-3...

Tesla Parts Escalation Help, Car 8 months stuck at Body Shop
Submitted by rich.stefani on October 26, 2018
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/tesla-parts-escalation-help-car-8-...

Tesla Parts Availability
Submitted by muhammadfm123 on February 4, 2019
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/tesla-parts-availability