Forums

Threat to cancel insurance for car non registration

Threat to cancel insurance for car non registration

Received a letter from, Traveler's, my insurer yesterday threatening to cancel my insurance if my car remains unregistered. Apparently, they received notification from MD MVA that the car is not properly registered. True.

Took delivery in November with MD temp tags expiring in Jan. When I called a month ago to have my temps extended they told me the car is not registered because they did not have my business tax ID which I promptly gave them. This despite the fact that this information is on my lease agreement on my Tesla profile. They would not effectuate a business lease without it. Anyhow fast forward to yesterday when I called to have my month long extension from last month extended again, the Tesla employee told me he needed my tax ID to register the car. Really? Yet again?

I really do love Tesla products but the poor customer service is getting old. Getting Solar panels and Powerwall and the experience with Tesla Energy has been stellar so far but this project is in its infancy. They're now integrating Solar City and Tesla operations which for the most part have remained separate. Hopefully Solar City will bring much needed customer service culture to the rest of the company.

rxlawdude | 22/02/2019

Why not go to your DMV directly?

You have proof of sale, right?

DermMD | 22/02/2019

You have to pay taxes at the time of registering a car for the first time. If Tesla has not sent in the paperwork, the taxes have not been assessed or paid. This I believe is the reason the initial registration of a new car is most conveniently made by the dealer. At least in my state.

DermMD | 22/02/2019

You have to pay taxes at the time of registering a car for the first time. If Tesla has not sent in the paperwork, the taxes have not been assessed or paid. This I believe is the reason the initial registration of a new car is most conveniently made by the dealer. At least in my state.

rxlawdude | 22/02/2019

Ok, if the car hasn't been registered because taxes haven't been paid, again, if you go to your DMV and pay the taxes couldn't this solve the issue?

Then, take on getting a refund from Tesla for any taxes they collected but never paid.

Sounds a helluvalot better than losing your insurance.

rxlawdude | 24/02/2019

If you were in a Red State, your little package could get you jail time. :-)

DermMD | 26/02/2019

If you were in a Red State, your little package could get you jail time. :-)

WTF?

rxlawdude | 26/02/2019

@DermMD, that was in response to another poster, whose post is no longer in the thread. Ignore the comment..

Did you try working with your DMV?