Forums

FSD upgrade for current owners with EAP

FSD upgrade for current owners with EAP

I have a RWD LR Model 3 with EAP. What will the cost be for upgrading to FSD? I seem to remember it going up after I bought it (May 18'), but there was an indication that Tesla would honor the lower upgrade that was originally promised if purchased after delivery. I don't have the paperwork but I thought it was 3K on order, and 4K after delivery, later changed to 5K.

ENVUSM3 | 01/03/2019

I spoke with TESLA customer service and they confirmed that if you paid $5k for EAP in 2019, you will get FSD complimentary. She said this record is tied to your VIN. I took delivery 1/19 on my LR AWD and paid $5k for EAP and Tesla conformed i will get free upgrade to FSD.

xtermz | 01/03/2019

I paid for EAP & FSD in 2019 prior to yesterday's announcement (took delivery on Sunday actually). Will Tesla refund what I paid for FSD?

ajbutler45 | 01/03/2019

I find it hard to believe that FSD will be free to those of us who have EAP. I paid $5,000 for EAP in my original order for EAP back in October 2018. Through this early this week my account showed $5,000 to upgrade to FSD, Today is shows $3,000.

SPeditor | 01/03/2019

Satluri, I did the same and took delivery on Saturday. Wondering about a refund for those who paid FSD if this happens.

ENVUSM3 | 01/03/2019

Confirmed with TESLA if you paid for FSD in 2019 you will get an email confirming refund.

hjobanpu | 01/03/2019

Why would this be only for those who got delivery in 2019? Those who got delivery in 2018 Dec last week are in same boat too. I have paid $5000 for EAP already.

82bert | 01/03/2019

@envusm3 is wrong from everything I’ve heard and seen. It should be 3k for anyone that previously had EAP.

rsingh05 | 01/03/2019

yeah, it should be the same for everyone who has already bought prior to the change. So either everyone gets it for free, or everyone pays $ 3K (or whatever the amount is).

Supposedly an explanation from Tesla is coming today per Elon's tweet on this topic.

Zozon | 01/03/2019

Exactly, what about deliveries in December? We all paid full price!

Zozon | 01/03/2019

Exactly, what about deliveries in December? We all paid full price!

xtermz | 01/03/2019

The federal tax credit was $3,750 more in December

moikk | 01/03/2019

from what I understand based upon email...

2019 prior purchases without any EAP/FSD will get AP for free.
2019 prior purchases with EAP will get FSD upgrade for free.
2019 prior purchases with FSD will get refund.

2018 purchases with EAP can upgrade to FSD for 3k as they got the additional tax credit.

magrider | 01/03/2019

"2018 purchases with EAP can upgrade to FSD for 3k as they got the additional tax credit."
that's a load of crap. The price cuts in 2019 prior to the round of price cuts yesterday have already eroded most if not all of the extra tax credit one would have gotten in 2018.

xtermz | 01/03/2019

@moikk When did you get your email? Did they already send to everyone, or are they doing so in waves (or do you have to call in and complain enough?)

weluvm3 | 01/03/2019

"2018 purchases with EAP can upgrade to FSD for 3k as they got the additional tax credit."

Loyalty begets loyalty...NOT!

ccash | 01/03/2019

Please do not proliferate moikk's misinformation.

lordmiller | 01/03/2019

ccash exactly! I emailed my rep and she said she'd keep me posted on the matter. Don't listen to those people stating it as fact, it's not true, yet.

moikk | 01/03/2019

I based my information on screenshots of the email as I did not get one... I am a 2018 buyer with EAP and my account currently shows the FSD as a 3k upgrade so that is fact.

lordmiller | 01/03/2019

What planet is this guy from? Your email that you didn't get? WTF

moikk | 01/03/2019

I never said "my email"... The email went to owners that purchased and received delivery in 2019. I received my car in 2018 so I did not get the email but I have seen screenshots of the actual emails that say, "As you have purchased Enhanced Autopilot, in the coming weeks you will receive a software upgrade that will provide you with the software for full self driving" and came from Cristy Willis (Carrier Direct) cwillis@tesla.com

In my Tesla account, FSD is a $3,000 upgrade for the EAP that I purchased in in 2018.

moikk | 01/03/2019

Here is the full text of the email related to the upgrades: "All customers of all models who have taken delivery in 2019 and customers with currently undelivered orders will receive on of the new autopilot packages: If a customer has no autopilot package configured, they will receive autopilot (autosteer + traffic aware cruise control). If a customer has Enhanced Autopilot configured, the will receive full self driving.

Customers with undelivered orders will not receive the latest pricing but will receive the benefits of an autopilot package. If a customer would prefer the latest pricing, they will need to cancel and reorder their car.

ccash | 01/03/2019

Well I wish you were right, but I bought in Jan 2019 and in My Account, FSD is also a $3,000 upgrade.

ccash | 01/03/2019

BTW, I have EAP, FYI.

moikk | 01/03/2019

@ccash, since I didn't get the email myself... I can only share what I have seen others post... hope you get an email and you might want to check with your Tesla rep just in case. The emails I have seen look legit and have come from multiple sources.

ccash | 01/03/2019

Do you know -- how recent are the emails you're talking about?

lordmiller | 01/03/2019

I took delivery 2 weeks ago and don't see an email!

LA-Fohlen | 01/03/2019

So currently, I have EAP but navigate on autopilot is one of the features. According to the description that belongs to FSD though. Would this mean they will take that feature away?

moikk | 01/03/2019

The emails I saw were dated today.... The one I have a copy of shows a time of 12:24 PM this afternoon... but I do not know any additional details regarding time zone, etc... I would imagine they have a lot to send... you may try contacting your rep directly or the address I included from one of the screen shots.

moikk | 01/03/2019

@LA-Fohlen, they will not take the feature away... you will continue to have EAP regardless.... you just won't get the new FSD only features unless you pay for the upgrade (or get it free if the information I posted is true).

peldor427 | 01/03/2019

I suspect this is a bunch of rumor spreading, except for the $3K upgrade to FSD from EAP. Anyone that regularly and reliably posting in here received this 'email'?

ccash | 01/03/2019

Thanks moikk. I don't think that's real, but hey, it would be welcome news if it is. Also, FSD wasn't even an option to purchase in 2019.

ajstroberg | 01/03/2019

Only today have I understood the issue of EAP v FSD. In Oct Tesla removed the FSD option, leaving only the EAP. So when we bought in December there was no mention or option of FSD, rather EAP was held out as the platform upon which an autonomous driving system would evolve. It was a $5000 option (($7000 after delivery & we did that with the belief that nothing more would be required except over the air updates & maybe a free cpu swap.. Delivery was 12/30/18. There was no mention of FSD in the Owner's Manual. The new pricing & dicing is a revelation and seems deeply unfair.

Passion2Fly | 01/03/2019

I just check my account and now the cost of the FSD aftermarket upgrade is $3,000! It used to be $5,000...
I’m pleased.

dedrickj | 01/03/2019

ccash - yes FSD was available in 2019, just had to ask sales advisor and pay the $3,000. I picked up in Feb 2019 my Performance Model 3 with EAP and FSD. I doubt that I will be getting a refund for the FSD thought. Still happy!

moikk | 01/03/2019

ccash, it might be rumor but it doesn't hurt to contact your rep to get the full details. All I can say is that the screenshots looked like legitimate emails from Tesla but probably wouldn't be hard to fake those.

In any case, I have seen the same email posted on Facebook from different Tesla addresses... so it leads me to believe that there might be some truth to it...

EAP and FSD were both options when I purchased but I only went with the EAP since I have no idea when FSD features will become active... with the new tiers, I would definitely purchase FSD if I ordered today but I'll probably still wait to pay for the 3k upgrade until the new FSD options are active.

ajstroberg | 01/03/2019

"I just check my account and now the cost of the FSD aftermarket upgrade is $3,000! It used to be $5,000...
I’m pleased." help me here- many have "checked their account" to see these options. I check my account & find only option to change my password & phone number- that is on ths tesla site or my phone app. Where should I be looking?

Passion2Fly | 01/03/2019

@ajs
Go to “Manage” your car. Right under your car picture click on “Shop - Autopilot Upgrades”. My account now says “FSD upgrade - $3,000”...

jim | 01/03/2019

@ajstroberg: Log on to your TESLA account and then click the "Manage" button for your car if you already have EAP, then you should see a link for Autopilot Upgrades. Once you click on that, you should see the option for "Full Self Driving Capability" for $3,000.

Passion2Fly | 01/03/2019

@jim
Are you getting it??

ajstroberg | 01/03/2019

I clearly am looking at the wrong place. On both the iPhone app and MacOS Safari I can sign in and see the car pic, but nothing that looks like "Manage". on the Mac there is a pic only of an S (mine is a 3) and the only thing I can buy is the car. Thanks for your help.

Daryl | 01/03/2019

@Passion2Fly "I just check my account and now the cost of the FSD aftermarket upgrade is $3,000! It used to be $5,000... I’m pleased."

Me too!

ehendrix23 | 01/03/2019

Bought car in January 2019, with EAP and FSD (off menu). I have not received anything about refund for FSD

jefflawless | 01/03/2019

My account shows FSD upgrade for $3k, used to be $5k.

Based on all the comments, what I see in my account and what I think would make the most business sense:

NO EAP/FSD purchased prior to announcement - Features will be available for purchase based on new pricing.

EAP ONLY purchased prior to announcement
- owner will receive AP and FSD (software only) features/fixes up to what HW 2.5 supports
- owner can upgrade to FSD for $3k (HW 3.0)

EAP and FSD purchased pre announcement will get the HW upgrade for Free.

I don't believe EAP was available after the announcement. They suspended ordering so they can have a clear cutover as to when AP/FSD will be available

My guess is that Tesla will not take away any software for those that have EAP, however, they will NOT give away hardware (too expensive). Based on what is coming, $3k is a steal for the features and the hardware (not to mention the labor to upgrade the HW)

What Tesla will do is ensure everyone that wants AP/FSD pays $8k for those features, everyone that has EAP, continues to get those features that HW2.5 will support and that everyone who paid for FSD gets full FSD when it is available.

This would make it right for current EAP/FSD owners.

rkalbiarEV | 01/03/2019

This is bull!

JetSanDiego | 01/03/2019

If you bought EAP in 2019 you’ll get FSD for free soon. If you didn’t buy EAP in 2019 you’ll get AP for free soon and can upgrade to FSD for $3k. If you bought EAP in 2018, you can upgrade to FSD for $3k.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/upgrading-autopilot-and-full-self-driving-cap...

rsingh05 | 01/03/2019

@JetSandiego - not true. See Elon’s recent tweets. EAP buyers pay 2k for fsd now, regardless of purchase date. Fair solution.

Jlomb436 | 02/03/2019

rsing,

It's actually $3k for FSD if you bought AP. I think what is rubbing some people, if if you bought a car up until now without EAP, you can get AP and FSD for $5k total. Those who bought EAP paid $5k and don't get FSD. And for those who spent $8k for FSD and EAP, I'm sure the feeling is even worse.

jefflawless | 02/03/2019

@JetSanDiego - the blog post does not state you will get AP for free. It states "Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000". They are still charging if you have not bought any features. They are just charging less to be fair based on all the confusion and removal of FSD from the online menu.

I bought EAP and NOT FSD when I got my car last year, based on the article and what I see in my Tesla account I will be able to buy FSD for $3k, not for thee previous price of $7k (60% discount)

For those that bought EAP and FSD before the change, they will be invited to get Early Access and provide feedback.

Based on what I can make from all the information, FSD will probably include HW3 upgrade. If that turns out to be true, $3k is very cheap for FSD upgrade.

jefflawless | 02/03/2019

@Jlomb436 - I agree, I bought EAP for 5k and will need to spend another $3k, which is more than the current owners. I actually would not mind spending the $3k if it got me into the Early Access Program.

Seems that Tesla has forgot about the people in the middle that bought EAP and not FSD.

I am sure if we provide enough feedback, Tesla will make it right.

Jlomb436 | 02/03/2019

Rsing,

I didn't realize Elon tweeted it's now $2k. Is anyone mildly concerned that service center shave been telling people all day about possible AP for free, Tesla makes an official statement that FSD is $3k and then Elon tweets hours later that it's actually $2k?

Pages