Forums

Steering noise while turning when driving slow

Steering noise while turning when driving slow

I have a brand new Tesla Model X which I picked up march 4th. Have noticed that there is a creaking sound when I do sharp turns at low speed, for instance 60-90 degree turns at any speed under 50 km/h. I also noticed this sound when I was test driving a model x from the showroom. Is this a normal sound or an issue that needs fixing?

Thanks for any support! :)

bob | 08/03/2019

I've also noticed this body creaking. I can't tell you if there's anything to worry about. I can tell you it's normal in every MX I've been in. And I've got about 25k miles behind the wheel of MX's.

Kianul | 09/03/2019

I have only driven two Model X's, mine with 20 km on it and the Test vehicle Model X at Tesla with aprox 3000 km on it and they both made this noise. Maybe it's just a design flaw or a hiccup somewhere. The car is so silent at these low speeds so every noise is noticeable...

thanks for your input, made me more at ease at least :)

patswin | 10/03/2019

Do you drive with creep mode off? If so when you apply brake at a stop the brakes will make a creaking sound when turning the wheel. This sound is normal. If you have creep mode on you won’t get this creaking sound.

patswin | 10/03/2019

That is when you apply brake and car goes into brake hold, allowing you to let go of brake and car remains still

Vawlkus | 11/03/2019

Tire size? Some types are slightly larger, and can rub on the wheel well during low speed hard turns.

Kianul | 16/03/2019

This sound is coming when I am moving without touching the brake pedal. I am moving from 5 km/h to aprox. 30 km/h and turning somewhat hard turns...

I have 19 inch Nokian Hakkapellita R3 studless tires on atm, dimension I don't have in my head atm... but these are the standard 19 inch winter tires in Norway...

I was thinking this sound was rubbing from tires to the tarmac which is notable at these low speeds... at higher speeds I can't hear it due to road noise...

patswin | 17/03/2019

When car is in brake hold and turn steering wheel it will make a creaking sound. When the car is moving there should be no creaking noise when turning steering wheel. I have never had that on the 50k plus miles I I have driven my model x. Will you be putting stock tires back on soon with winter ending? That should answer your question if it’s the winter tires.

Kianul | 25/03/2019

Still days with freezing temperatures, so I can't change tires yet... Hopefully just a couple of weeks until I can change though...

JAnnen | 25/03/2019

@Kianul: Try raising your suspension. If the creaking sound goes away, your tires are too big. Your tires are wider and larger in diameter then the stock OEM tires. You should see rub/wear marks on your fender wells.

My Front: 265/45R20 are 10.5" wide and 29.4" in diameter
your 265/50R19 might be 11.1" wide and 29.6" in diameter

Philchristieatc | 31/03/2019

If it's like any other sports car. The tires are "jumping" as you turn at slow speeds. Especially if the tires are cold. I had the same noise/issue on my vette. That is of course if that is what's happening.

jabe999 | 31/03/2019

I have this same problem on my Sept. 2018 MX. Not cold weather. I am in Florida. I do not have this problem with my March 2018 MX. I have scheduled a service appointment. Told it can not be done by mobile service and I will have to drive 90 minutes each way to get to SC.

jabe999 | 31/03/2019

I have this same problem on my Sept. 2018 MX. Not cold weather. I am in Florida. I do not have this problem with my March 2018 MX. I have scheduled a service appointment. Told it can not be done by mobile service and I will have to drive 90 minutes each way to get to SC.

Kianul | 08/04/2019

@JAnnen I have suspension at Standard always. Heard some rumors that the low setting wear the tires alot! (true?)
My tires are stock tires 19 inch winter tires. 265/55 R19 or something like that... not really big...

jweingram75 | 21/04/2019

Mine doing the same thing. Stock Rims and tires are making contact with the frame or steering component. Can see a scribe mark on the inside edge of the rim. Calling service on monday.

iyuan02 | 21/04/2019

I found a similar issue at lower speed and took it into the SC. Here is what they found
"Found both passenger side lower ball joint nuts loose. also found the axle nut
extremely loose. torqued all suspension components and axle nuts."