Forums

1 Year Old Model 3 LR RWD

1 Year Old Model 3 LR RWD

Just seeing if I could start new topic.

Passed 1 year on my Model 3.
Yesterday someone offered to purchase
my car for cash. Said last summer I was
interested when I was going to upgrade to P3D+.
Not anymore.

I think my version of the Model 3 is the
right one for me. It's a keeper.

VIN 83xx

Anyone else face the same choice? Selling or keeping?

vmulla | 19/03/2019

@nwfan, please add your review of to this thread

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/long-term-reviews-model-3-1year-mi...

Slonkis | 19/03/2019

Mine works great (13xxx VIN). No reason to change anything.

Kathy Applebaum | 19/03/2019

Love both of mine, zero regrets. VINs 0091xx and 0719xx

Sandman5150 | 19/03/2019

LOVE LOVE LOVE my M3!!!!!! (11xxx VIN)

spooky action | 19/03/2019

P3D is tempting, but I think my LR RWD is the best combo of value and performance (plus the metallic silver makes mine a little more special ;)

Tuning In | 19/03/2019

The rule in thumb in life is that value usually isn’t when you buy the most expensive or cheapest version of anything. It’s usually somewhere in the middle.

We have both the 3P+ (I call it this because this is what Elon calls it) and the LR RWD. We don’t use the capabilities of the 3P because it eats up tires at an alarming rate. Speaking of tires, when we put the 3P tires and wheels on the LR instead of the 18”, it got seat of the pants noticeably faster. I think it’s because the LRR tires lose traction and the car throttles back a little.

When we mash the pedal on the LR, we never felt it wanting. It’s more than plenty fast.

papa | 19/03/2019

Love my S90D and our LR RWD red 3. Nice combo for in town and road trips. My wife was skeptical but wouldn’t trade the 3 for any car now. 90D 190xxx model3 6xxx.

spooky action | 19/03/2019

Tuning in - tires will be the first upgrade to my LR once the OEM's need replacing.

I had a loaner P90D with ludicrous mode for a week and it was screaming fast (a passing machine on the overseas highway in the Florida keys), so I know what I'm missing with the P3+ and why I'm tempted. That said, the LR RWD is definitely quick enough (and getting quicker any day now), so I'm content.

gballant4570 | 19/03/2019

I had a passing thought to sell and then buy performance - but I soon returned to thinking that I'll just keep my AWD LR. Several reasons - I don't want the hardware changes associated with the performance config. like a lower riding car with lower profile tires. I want longer wearing tires that I don't need to change out in the winter, like the stock tires I currently have. If the software only performance was available I'd certainly think about going for that - especially if I could do that in my current car.

The 5% power increase gives me a bit more hope that an add-on performance level might be available one day.

rxlawdude | 19/03/2019

@gballant, +1 except in our case, we have the RWD LR (VIN 00138x).

I would be most tempted in the P3D - (the one that looks like a plain ol' M3, including 18" wheels), but those are unicorns and we're happy with the RWD. (But won't take the M3 to the snow with all season tires - our S70D excels in such conditions with all seasons.)

nwfan | 19/03/2019

I have model s100d and Lr rwd m3.
Over the last year the m3 has impressed me.
Keeps improving. I test drove the P3D.
After the drive I found my m3 was good enough.
If I want to launch have the s. I’m more into trying
For efficiency. Dry pavement, pushing 198 w/mi average.

Very pleased with both cars. Like many who responded I hope to have both t’s for
Another 5 to 10 years. M3 turned into my commuter car. S my weekend and road trip
Car. I was driving home from work in typical Dallas/Ft Worth grid lock with a grin I could not shake. 6 years ago in the same traffic in my BMW stress was leading me to an early grave. Quiet, quick, sound system, AP all ease me home daily. Thanks Tesla.

Stopped at a red light a month ago in the cold surrounded by ICE cars. Shocked by the evidence of pollution shooting out of all the tailpipes. Looked back and I was the only one without a cloud of pollution/vapor. I smile thinking of the day when I can repeat the scene surrounded with electric cars and clean air. I can then say my generation made a difference. Model 3/Y are going to be the game changer. Hopefully pushing the German and Japanese automakers into finally producing an electric car for the masses. Cause if they don’t Tesla will grab market share away from them.

Magic 8 Ball | 19/03/2019

@rxlawdude You couldn't handle the power of a P, haha!

mattjpeterson | 19/03/2019

I'm still loving my LR RWD that will be a year old on April 11. It's the highest efficiency, longest range car Tesla has ever produced and I wouldn't want to trade any of those miles for a faster 0-60 or even AWD. I just finished a winter with snow tires on the RWD and had no trouble getting around town or even up to the ski resort in the mountains.

ncancilla81 | 19/03/2019

My LR RWD 3 is about to hit 1 year and 16k miles. Most of those miles have been driven by others though. My P3D+ is just too damn awesome.
I was planning on selling my LR RWD, but Turo has been a lucrative alternative (over 12k in 6 months).
Love my 3’s

rgmodel3 | 20/03/2019

Not there at the 1 year mark yet, got mine last June. I don’t drive much, my car only has 2700 miles on it. I got the Model 3 just because I wanted the Model 3. And I really wanted to upgrade to a P3D and went to Tesla about my options trading in my RWD. Tesla offered me $36k for my car and I paid $63k for it 9 months ago. I still owe $33k in car payment, so very close to being underwater if I traded it in. Convinced myself that the RWD is already plenty quick and will be keeping this with me a long time.

rgmodel3 | 20/03/2019

Not there at the 1 year mark yet, got mine last June. I don’t drive much, my car only has 2700 miles on it. I got the Model 3 just because I wanted the Model 3. And I really wanted to upgrade to a P3D and went to Tesla about my options trading in my RWD. Tesla offered me $36k for my car and I paid $63k for it 9 months ago. I still owe $33k in car payment, so very close to being underwater if I traded it in. Convinced myself that the RWD is already plenty quick and will be keeping this with me a long time.

nwfan | 21/03/2019

@rgmodel3, congrats on owning RWD 3. Same version I have.
1 year old and I have 3900 miles on my car. It's commuter/city driving
only. Overkill getting the LR, but only version available when I ordered.

I have Model S (free supercharging) which I use on weekend and road trips.

Agree. RWD Model 3 plenty fast enough. After my P3D test drive, glad I didn't
upgrade. I've settled on my 3, hope to have it for another 5 years.

shank15217 | 21/03/2019

I love my 1 year old model 3, VIN 0106XX. I love it even more now that I had to replace my P3D+ tires (gd they are expensive)

ColonyGolfer | 21/03/2019

I reserved 2 from day1. Took delivery of 1st M3 RWD LR in March of 2018, vin 005xxx. Only problem was I hated the black interior....sold it to a neighbor for what I paid. Then took delivery on M3 AWD LR, red with white interior. vin 097xxx, Goegeous and more comfortable in the FL sun. I selected 18" wheels in both cases (had my 21" short range expensive tire experience on the 2012 MS vin 002xx and replaced them with 19's this year)