Forums

Has anyone installed a CB Radio in the Model 3?

Has anyone installed a CB Radio in the Model 3?

Id love to get a CB Radio installed in my new M3 so I can talk to my buddies on the road. Anyone try this installation yet? Curious where yall mounted it. Please post a pic if so.

Stankinaz | 24/04/2019

That's a negatory 10-4 big buddy. What's your handle? Do you have a monkey too?

SteveWin1 | 25/04/2019

Get all your buddies to buy a cell phone and call them up. You're going to stick one of those huge antennas on the top of your car? That's not going to help your range much.

tew ms us | 25/04/2019

Once I get my 8-track tape player going, I'm gonna look into it.

derotam | 25/04/2019

There have been Ham's putting radios in cars, but not HF yet. I've only seen and heard of 144 and 440 which are small antennas. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/ic-7100-ham-radio-install.149371/

gmkellogg | 25/04/2019

I just installed my AM radio and I'm working on new crankshafts for the windows. Why go backwards man? Isn't there an app for that yet?

waxfondler | 25/04/2019

Yeah the huge antenna actually looks cool in my opinion. I dont know if mounting on the glass roof is ok tho?

n7vdr1 | 25/04/2019

^ a true ham lol !

derotam | 25/04/2019

Kinda hard to mag mount to glass, haha. The trunk lid is steel though.

stevenmaifert | 25/04/2019

Tesla doesn't include an AM radio in their cars primarily because the RF interference generated by the pulse-width modulated drive inverter really wipes out all but the strongest AM signals. CB radio uses AM or AM/SSB which is subject to that same interference. HAM radio operators have installed VHF/UHF band radios, but those are normally FM modulated and not subject to the interference. Mounting the CB antenna on the trunk lid would be the most logical place to put it, but then it's in close proximity to the drive inverter and I think you would be disappointed with the radio in operation.

k6rim | 25/04/2019

CQ DX!

Lonestar10_1999 | 25/04/2019

It would be great to have a lot of CB enthusiasts in M3s driving in a convoy. What a beautiful sight!!!

This is the Rubber Duck, over and out.

wiscy67 | 25/04/2019

No but I'm calling my black M3 - Bandit.

rxlawdude | 25/04/2019

@stevenmaifert, +1

Tronguy | 25/04/2019

@stevenmaifert: ElectroMagneticInterference (EMI) from the switchers has two components: rise and fall times (the edges) and the base frequency of the switcher, probably in the 100's of kHz. As any EE101 student will tell you, a square wave (which is what these switchers make, more or less) can be also represented in theory and in practice by a series of sine waves, starting with a fundamental at the frequency of the switcher, and odd harmonics of that frequency (3rd, 5th, 7th, ...) to infinity, where the harmonics are of smaller amplitude and fall off as 1/n, where n is the harmonic number. Tricky bit: That assumes infinitely fast rise and fall times. When the rise and fall times aren't zero, the higher harmonics (typically, 7th and up) pretty much disappear.
So: If the Tesla switchers are cranking along at, say 200 kHz, one is going to have hash at 200k, 600k, 1 MHz, 1.4 MHz, and so on, and any AM radio is going to be driven bananas by the result, seeing as those frequencies are plotch in the middle of the AM radio band and it's low-order odd harmonics to boot.
But! CB radios operate at 27 MHz. Um. 27e6/200e3 = 135th harmonic: There's not going to be a blame thing there, not just because of that 1/n stuff, but because the rise and fall times are not zero, so there's no energy at those frequencies.
In fact, I'd expect Ham Radio at 40 meters (7 MHz), 20 Meters (14 MHz), 15 meters (21 MHz), and 10 meters (28 MHz, right above the CB radio band) to be likewise not affected.
For what it's worth, there's a lot more natural noise and hash around the lower in frequency one goes. At 14 MHz, the natural hash from the ionosphere is usually a heck of a lot more than the noise in a garden variety transistor RF front end. At the AM band one can hear every lightning strike and elevator motor for a hundred miles around; during the day, that's about as far as one can get anyway, given that at those frequencies the E and D bands of the ionosphere are pretty absorbent.
At FM radio frequencies at 100 MHz or so the natural hash has pretty much died away and is much less than that of a good low-noise RF front end. Except for those crazed astronomers with their liquid-helium cooled transistor amplifiers that can actually get down to the universal noise floor. Fun.

M3phan | 27/04/2019

Install it in that large space next to the cigarette lighter.

gwolnik | 27/04/2019

I installed my Onyx radio for Sirius XM and that works fine, so I would think the CB radio would work the same way because you mount an external antenna and power the unit by plugging into the "cigarette" lighter in the center consul. I still have my 40 channel CB from the 1970's and may try this just to make sure it works so I can use it when I bug out during the next Zombie Apocalypse. Until then, let's get us a convoy 'cause we ain't gonna pay no toll!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAAwTlCp3OE
--
"Cottontail"

SalisburySam | 28/04/2019

Wow, and thanks for the trip down memory lane. Used to use CB’s in antique vehicles when convoying with the local antique car club prior to cell phone proliferation. Given the amount of breakdowns, rest stops needed, age of participants, etc., CB’s gave us a wonderful communications system and were required to be installed and operational to join the club. That, and of course the obligatory fire extinguisher.

Reminds me: I need to charge my cellphone.