Forums

Accident - Can they pull the video after a week?

Accident - Can they pull the video after a week?

I had an unfortunate accident about a week ago with my P100D. Turned left with green arrow, when someone turned right and side swipped me. I was probably about 100 feet from the turn in the left lane when it happened. The cop that took the report from the driver that hit me stated that he said it was his fault, so I really didn't do anything more than just wait for the report. Well, report comes and it blames me and the depection of what happened is wrong. I know I should have probably saved my footage, but I didn't. Worse, the USB drive wasn't even connected when I looked today.

While I would like to say I am 100% correct, that won't fly with insurance. Is there anyway that tesla can recover the video to show what really happened? I don't think they can after a week+ of driving, but thought I'd ask.

TeslaTap.com | 26/04/2019

Nope. There is some very short amount of images (not sure any video) that is stored in the car and overwritten as you drive - maybe 10 seconds or so. We've seen some salvaged vehicles being pulled apart and the images of the accident retrieved. This are cases where the car is totaled and not drivable.

I'm not aware of any cases where Tesla has the video and would release it. They have indicated some video is uploaded to their servers, but in an anonymous way to improve AP.

EVRider | 26/04/2019

Are you saying that you were using the dashcam but forgot to save video? What do you mean when you say the "USB drive wasn't even connected" when you looked today?

If you were using the dashcam and haven't driven the car since the accident, the footage might still be on the USB.

rzobel | 27/04/2019

Just took delivery of my Model S 3 days ago. Can I capture video (via USB) in the S the same as the Model 3? Yep, the wife has a model 3.

EVRider | 28/04/2019

@rzobel: If the Model S is new, the answer is yes. It not, it depends on when it was built — prior to August 2017, the answer is no.

Yodrak. | 28/04/2019

"The cop that took the report from the driver that hit me stated that he said it was his fault, so I really didn't do anything more than just wait for the report."

You didn't give a statement of your own?

Madatgascar | 29/04/2019

I was in an accident and asked Tesla for help with this about a week later. They didn’t help. You’re on your own with this, unless you allege Tesla was somehow at fault.

sr.smr | 01/05/2019

This is quite informative and makes me aware of the importance of having my own dashcam with videos under my control and with capacity for greater storage. If Tesla ever came out with an accessible cloud solution with better video resolution that would be the perfect solution so there would not be the temptation for a break-in to steal the expensive dashcam. But until then, I have a two-channel Blackvue, which I hope I will never need.