Forums

Keeping Your Tesla Plugged up After Charged?

Keeping Your Tesla Plugged up After Charged?

I am a new Model 3 owner and I was just curious if its a better practice to unplug your vehicle after it reaches it full charge (well 90% or whatever max you have it set at) or just leave it plugged up? I only work about 5 mins from my house so when I get home and plug up my car, it only takes about 30mins-1 hour to charge up. Then it is just sitting there for 12 hours or so with the plug left in it in my garage. I didn't know if this hurts the battery more or to let it drain a little before plugging it up again if that makes sense?

jerrykham | 26/04/2019

The manual says to leave it plugged in. A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla. If you don't drive it for a few days and vampire drain takes it down enough it will charge again.

jordanrichard | 26/04/2019

What does your owner’s manual say?

Earl and Nagin ... | 26/04/2019

Unlike the Nissan Leaf which will continue to overcharge to full when left plugged in when full, the Tesla will automatically maintain your selected level of charge without letting it overcharge. If you're level of charge is below 80 to 90%, your battery will be just fine if always left plugged in.
The only way damage is done to your battery is if you leave it set to charge above 90%.
If you only drive about 5 minutes per day, I'd leave it set for about 60% unless going on a trip and plug in all the time. You'll have a very happy battery.

Tesla-David | 27/04/2019

We set our maximum charging limit at ~75 percent for our MS and M3, and always keep them plugged in, so that vampire losses can periodically be restored through charging. We only charge up to 90 percent when we are headed out on a long trip. I agree "A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla".

Yodrak. | 27/04/2019

"Unlike the Nissan Leaf which will continue to overcharge to full when left plugged in when full ..."

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The Leaf battery and charging scheme do leave a lot to be desired, especially in comparison with Tesla, but whether I set my Leaf charging level to 80% or 100% the charging stops at the set level and does not overcharge or "continue to overcharge".

Frank99 | 27/04/2019

Lithium-Ion batteries, no matter whether they're in a car, your phone, or your toothbrush, can be left plugged in all the time. Bad things (like fire) happen if a Lithium-Ion battery is overcharged, so every company using them must design-in a smart charging circuit to prevent that from happening. This isn't the same as with the older NiCad or NiMH batteries - for those, the cheapest charging circuit (thus the one included on most devices) charged the batteries continuously because the battery wouldn't catch fire, but it would degrade the battery so the advice was to disconnect them after the charge was complete.

Now, for stupid consumer items like Phones or cordless drills that charge Lithium Ion batteries to 100%, you'll get better battery life from them if you disconnect them once they get fully charged. This is because Lithium-Ion batteries stored at 100% for long periods (days) degrade faster. Phones and drills will keep the battery at 100% as long as they're plugged in, so if you regularly leave them plugged in for a long time, you may find that after a year the battery doesn't last nearly as long as it did when it was new.

bp | 27/04/2019

Keep it simple...

The manual recommends keeping the vehicle plugged in when you can.

Charge to 100% only for brief periods when you absolutely need the longer range.

Otherwise, keep your battery pack between 10-90%.

While some owners recommend charging to less than 90% and/or reducing the charging rate, it doesn't appear this will have much long-term impact on battery degradation.

Earl and Nagin ... | 27/04/2019

@Yodrak,
I had a very early Leaf and if I set it to stop at 80%, then left it plugged in for a few days it would eventually go to full. I, of course, don't know if it actually overcharged.
You may have and a later one that didn't, however, since Nissan never provided a software update, it still does it to this day.
Tesla's, of course, don't charge over the set amount and never have from the very beginning.

Yodrak. | 28/04/2019

"I had a very early Leaf and if I set it to stop at 80%, then left it plugged in for a few days it would eventually go to full. "

Mine is a 2013. It has never charged past 80% when set to charge to 80%.