Forums

Just reminded of another very nice feature that disappeared in V9

Just reminded of another very nice feature that disappeared in V9

Nice afternoon and went to open my sunroof for the first time in about 6 months. The slider to open it less than 75% is gone in V9. I found it very nice to quickly open it to 30-40% (less wind noise and less sun beating down on my head) with one press. Now, as is the case with several other V9 "upgrades," there's more time with eyes off the road. Press the open button, then get the timing just right to press Stop. Why, Tesla, why?

GHammer | 26/04/2019

The slider is still there, just touch the sunroof and drag.

SoCal Buzz | 26/04/2019

Use the thumb wheel on steering...

barrykmd | 27/04/2019

hammer - Thanks. I tried it this morning and it works, although the "ruler" they had in V8 was so much more convenient, just needing to tap it in the right spot. With the new method, like many "features" in V9, it's a lot more eyes-off-the-road time to hit it in just the right spot.

SoCal - I usually keep my thumb wheel set for temp, but that's also a good solution to their baffling removal of a nice feature for no apparent reason.

bernhard | 27/04/2019

Thank you for your comment about eyes on road time. This has been my major concern since V8 and now V9. The user interface is not safe to operate when driving as it demands to much attention. I don't think the designers even tests this media releasing. They just make a desk test with a mouse and completely ignore that we cannot look at the GUI for the duration of two clicks. It is difficult enough hitting the right spot if the road is just the slightest bumpy. On this case, your finger settings up and down, but the buttons are wide and flat. The buttons should really be the other way around for better interaction experience, but I will grant that it could look strange (tall and narrow buttons). Maybe implement a driver GUI and a parked GUI?

tes-s | 27/04/2019

"The user interface is not safe to operate when driving as it demands to much attention."

I guess that explains the large increase in crashes and fatalities since V9 was released.

NKYTA | 27/04/2019

Citation please!

;-)

TeslaTap.com | 28/04/2019

@bernhard - Rare to hear of anyone complaining about the UI in the last few months. Not sure if you prefer v8 where most items required tapping many more buttons to get what you want? I'm 100% Tesla does extensive in-car testing before release, but seems some do not like touch screens. I'm on the other spectrum and hate those knob based UIs in BMW and Audi. Horrible designs. Some cars now have a mouse pad - I'm sure it's easy to get what you want on a bumpy road (not).

Generally if the road is bumpy, best not to type a URL into the web browser or do a lot of interactions. Then again, cars with hundreds of cryptic tiny buttons are not any easier to operate when the car is jumping around due to a bad road. Perhaps voice is the answer. I expect more voice control later this year, which would be nice.

Then there are those who want far more complexity, such as CarPlay so they can text and drive. Glad Tesla is trying to maintain a safe design and not go overboard with hundreds of apps - all working differently from each other.

thranx | 28/04/2019

I also hate buttons. I love screens and haptic controls.
However, making these all the same color while simultaneously reducing their size is not a step up in functionality.

Yodrak. | 28/04/2019

"I guess that explains the large increase in crashes and fatalities since V9 was released."

What large increase in crashes and fatalities?

"I'm on the other spectrum and hate those knob based UIs. "

Same here, I like the touch screen and a clean dashboard that doesn't look like a commercial airplane cockpit. I also don't mess with the touch screen much while driving. I check my settings before starting out and essentially everything I want to control while driving is on the steering wheel or column stalks.

TeslaTap.com | 28/04/2019

@Yodrak - I think tes-s was being sarcastic :)

Actually I like the newest airplane cockpits - all glass like my Tesla! Planes from yesteryear have all the buttons and dials like non-Teslas.

Yodrak. | 28/04/2019

"I think tes-s was being sarcastic :)"

I did not think of that, I hope you're right.

barrykmd | 28/04/2019

TeslaTap.com | April 28, 2019
Liuke the 737MAX?

Agree about the sarcasm.

sr.smr | 01/05/2019

I became use to V9 but still feel the shortcuts on top rather than on the bottom of the screen are more easily accessible, requires less time to identify while driving and therefore safer to use. Also, the constant framing of all windows with the map is a waste of space. But this is a rehash of V8 to V9 that has been discussed in earnest, so I digress for the sake of not reminding myself of this awful UI "upgrade."