Forums

Cadillac Super Cruise and Audi Traffic Jam Pilot claim to be first with hands free driving?

Cadillac Super Cruise and Audi Traffic Jam Pilot claim to be first with hands free driving?

I am on my third Tesla Model S so I am a fan. I recently read this article in Car and Driver that outlines the 5 modes of autonomous driving

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15079828/autonomous-self-driving-...

I was surprised to see that it lists Audi Traffic Jam Pilot as the ONLY car with Level 3 Autonomy. And its only on the Audio A8 and doesn't even seem to be an option yet at least on the US site
And if you watch the Cadillac video, on their site regarding Super Cruise, they claim the first fully automated driving for the highway because you dont have to "touch the steering wheel once its activated)

Frustrating to see this since my Tesla's have been more advanced for the last few years with one exception, the requirement to hold the steering wheel.

When Autopilot was first released, for my second Model S, there was no need to ever hold the steering wheel on the highway. I believe Tesla added that requirement after a few fatalities that occurred for cars that were under auto pilot though I believe in all of those cases it was driver error or completely unavoidable.

So why do I still have to hold the steering wheel on my Model S auto pilot if these other manufacturers don't require it?

And why isn't Tesla PR all over articles like this making it clear Tesla has the most advanced autonomous features (auto lane change, summon, etc)

rxlawdude | 29/04/2019

Because GM's lame way to get the Cadillac system working is to literally physically vet the highways where it works.

In other words, it doesn't work at all on the vast majority of American roadways. BFD.

TeslaTap.com | 29/04/2019

Tesla always required holding the steering wheel, but the interval was shortened, when crazy stunts starting happening like drivers jumping into the rear seat. Tesla's current system (and competitors) all require driver attention - i.e. they are not FSD.

Supercruise works by watching your face with a camera and seeing that you're looking forward every so often. As rx points out - limited to specific freeways only. Not sure how Audi jam system works, but I understand it is limited to 37 mph, and not available in the USA - so not a real competitor yet.

With FSD, holding the wheel will not be required.

PBEndo | 29/04/2019

So when compared to Supercruise, Tesla AP allows you to drive with your eyes closed (as long as you are holding the wheel), not that I recommend such behavior.

GHammer | 29/04/2019

Since none of these are fully autonomous systems, manufactures use different methods to gauge "driver engagement" . Tesla uses steering torque sense while GM uses the interior camera. If you look at the ratings by Consumer Reports you'll see that that actual functionality of the Tesla system is rated the highest even though they rated the GM system overall better because of the driver engagement method. As TT pointed out FSD (if it ever comes) will do away with the engagement aspect.

TeslaTap.com | 29/04/2019

I pointed out in another thread - Tesla FSD is likely to be released first with - wait for it - a hands-on-wheel requirement! This allows Tesla to release it when they deem ready, and not wait for regulatory approval. Once approval is given, a software update gets rid of the hands-on-wheel requirement.

rxlawdude | 29/04/2019

@TTap, it basically is Autonomous Level 3. Realistically, I don't see Level 5 for any manufacturer for the foreseeable future. It's possible that Tesla might get to Level 4, but I wouldn't put money on that, at least with the current hardware.

jordanrichard | 29/04/2019

Caddy’s System is a joke. I looked extensively into this, via Cadillac’s own website.

One, can only be used on highways that GM has already mapped out.
Two, can not be used in bad weather like rain.
Three, requires a paid subscription to OnStar to get map updates every 7 months
Four, will not change lanes
Five, relies on LIDAR