Forums

Volkswagen's systems can't cope with 10,000 electric car orders

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/09/business/volkswagen-id-electric-car-reser...

Quotes from the article
"30,000 cars Volkswagen plans to make"
"When Tesla unveiled the similarly priced Model 3 in 2016, it received 200,000 orders in the first day"
"Volkswagen hopes that its Modular Electric Toolkit, or MEB, will help it catch up to Tesla in the electric-car race. The company described the platform as the "heart" of its "electric offensive.""

I wonder if there was something lost in translation because the five figure goal does not make for an offensive nor being able to catch up.

Claimed elsewhere, automakers can catch up to Tesla whenever they feel like it.

jordanrichard | 09/05/2019

This is all about grabbing headlines and the media eats it up, as you can see. The U.S. media continue to fail to understand that ANY range numbers the European car companies spout off are nowhere near what they will be here in the U.S., using the EPA standard.

The other thing the press continues to either through blantant ignorance or purposely ignoring the fact that the Germans consider hybrids as “electrics”.

Lastly, saying they are going to make 30,000 of these “IDs”, doesn’t mean they actually will. Audi, Porsche and MB all had to revise their production numbers due to battery supply issues.

greg | 09/05/2019

This set up all screams "European compliance car" to me.

Lets see. I'll wait until they actually deliver some cars, and see if its released anywhere near their projected dates, in the quantities they predict, for the price they say.

andy.connor.e | 10/05/2019

How do you catch up to a company that is accelerating? You have yet to start at the bottom of that S-curve.