Forums

Model 3 prices increase $400

Model 3 prices increase $400

I expected to see something about this in the forum already, but since I didn’t, here you go: https://electrek.co/2019/05/14/tesla-model-3-increases-price

Joshan | 14/05/2019

likely because Trump refused their waiver on the Self Driving unit coming from China. So they just got hit with tariffs. Have to pay it somehow...

madkim23 | 14/05/2019

Does anyone happen to know the current off menu long range RWD price?

M3BlueGeorgia | 14/05/2019

Seems about right to offset impact of China tariffs

Tesla really need to find a non-China source

TabascoGuy | 14/05/2019

I haven't called recently but I thought the only off menu version was the SR.

EVRider | 14/05/2019

@madkim23: I don’t know the price, but the article said the off menu LR RWD was now going to include AP and the price was increasing $1,400 in the US.

madkim23 | 14/05/2019

They took it off menu at the same time as the SR. I believe they kept the pricing the same even as they rolled AP into the other versions and dropped the price. Now it looks like they rolled AP into the LR RWD version, but I haven’t seen pricing reported anywhere, so I’m curious how much differential there is between it and AWD. It was something like $1500 more to get AWD than RWD after the last change, but don’t quote me.

madkim23 | 14/05/2019

Thanks, @EVRider - tough keeping all these price tweaks straight. I’ve got an S coming off lease and trying to decide which way to go on a new 3. Like the range of the RWD but hard to say no to AWD at nearly the same price point.

Bighorn | 14/05/2019

@M3Blue
Elon said China had the only fabricator who could meet the timeline for the chip.

cmh95628 | 14/05/2019

I thought on autonomy day that Elon stated the chip (for HW3 board) was made by Samsung in Texas. Perhaps we are talking about the board-level assembly here. Not clear to me.

keydel | 14/05/2019

@madkim23 Price difference between LR RWD and LR AWD is actually about $3,500. Probably not enough to change your mind...

weluvm3 | 14/05/2019

@Bighorn What, the USA isn't competitive with China in chip fabrication? Nobody in Silicon Valley able to meet Tesla's timeline?

Sad, if true. Scary, actually.

weluvm3 | 14/05/2019

But...if this increase is due to the tarifs, it does give us some insight into Tesla's wholesale price for the Chinese made components....

RichardKJ | 14/05/2019

@weluvm3 Chip design and chip fabrication are entirely different thing. Silicon Valley excels at the former and China at the later. Most the the volume chip fabrication has moved offshore for the cheap labor, not only to run the process but to build the factories.

EVRider | 14/05/2019

What Elon said on Autonomy Day is that the new FSD CPU is fabricated by Samsung. He didn't say where.

Bighorn | 14/05/2019

@EVRider
Broader horizons, son. Quanta in Shanghai assembles the module. Samsung supplies part of it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.com/2019/05/03/trumps-tariffs-co...

RadOne | 14/05/2019

Tesla should fabricate the chips here. Employ Americans and no tariffs.

EVRider | 14/05/2019

@Bighorn: Thanks for the clarification. I guess Elon said the chips, not the entire unit, would be fabricated by Samsung. He didn't actually volunteer that information -- he responded to a question from one of the attendees.

Bighorn | 14/05/2019

Yes, I misspoke when I referred to the module as a chip. Chip is made in Austin. They were very clear that no US firm could accommodate the timeline.

EVRider | 14/05/2019

@RadOne: Fabricating chips in America might avoid import tariffs, but Tesla exports cars too. Tesla is probably not going to fabricate the same chips in multiple countries, so there will be tariffs one way or another. However, if you read the article that Bighorn referenced, you'll see that Samsung is fabricating the chips in Texas, so don't stress about it. :-)

madkim23 | 14/05/2019

@keydel - thanks for the info.