Forums

Why The Hot New Electric Car is a…Dyson

Why The Hot New Electric Car is a…Dyson

By Matt McCall, Editor, MoneyWire May 15, 2019

Two hours west of London, at an abandoned Royal Air Force base, a major electric car initiative has begun… by none other than Dyson.

Most of you know Dyson for its vacuums, hand dryers and fans. But I, for one, have been waiting for its electric vehicle (EV) for years — ever since it made a key acquisition that I’ll get to in a moment.

Then in November, we found out that Dyson will build an auto plant in Singapore. All in all, Dyson is looking to invest $2.7 billion in EVs. Now, at the old Hullavington airfield, the company will research and test its EV prototypes right at home in the UK.

https://investorplace.com/2019/05/why-the-hot-new-electric-car-is-a-dyson/

jordanrichard | 16/05/2019

Unless you can drive this Dyson EV, it is not the "hot new electric car". You are just perpetuating the typical media driven hyperbole.

andy.connor.e | 16/05/2019

Now that car buying is practically a cult, in that people are relatively unlikely to buy from a different company if they have been buying say Chevy their entire lives. I dont see Dyson being a credible EV producer. We will see though, because regardless of the money already invested, we have yet to see a product. Just like all the other "Tesla Killers".

jimglas | 16/05/2019

Wow, Another "tesla killer"
yawn .......

tew ms us | 16/05/2019

What struck me about Dyson is their asking of a different question. Telsa's competition from long-time automakers asks "What's the best way to put batteries in our cars?" Dyson seems to see he problem as "What's the best battery to build a car around?"

I'd ask how a Tesla is not built around the battery pack.

tew ms us | 16/05/2019

@andy: Oh, I agree; Tesla trailblazed lithium-ion tech. Dyson seems to be concentrating on the battery first; it's the three Rs of EVs - Range, Range, Range.

Battery is most important. Its your range and peak power availability. Most volatile component in the car that is under the most amount of potential damages from environmental factors.

Tropopause | 16/05/2019

2021 is the year Dyson hopes to come out with their EV.

TeslaTap.com | 16/05/2019

Great that Dyson is working on an EV. I suspect the most successful future EVs will not come from legacy automakers who seem to have little interest except when forced too. It's a poor recipe to make a volume vehicle people what to own.

Every new EV sold, for the most part, is one less ICE bought. Dyson will have little if any effect to Tesla. Dyson, like Tesla has high engineering standards and willing to spend on style. Legacy automakers seem to be racing to mediocrity as the primary objective, sold with with flashy advertising.

Earl and Nagin ... | 16/05/2019

Tesla spent their first years working mostly on creating a safe battery solution that had a chance of being economically producible. Therefore, one could easily claim they started this way as well.
Regarding Dyson: Can you really trust a company who's products mainly just blow a lot of hot air? :-)

tew ms us | 16/05/2019

The ones that don't blow suck:)

blue adept | 16/05/2019

@jordanrichard

+1

Please don't misunderstand my intent, I welcome and appreciate ALL newcomers to the EV market but, well, shit or get off of the pot already!

andy.connor.e | 17/05/2019

Likewise, i appreciate anyone trying to make something better or add competition. But when people get the idea of these "Tesla Killers" that dont even exist yet, thats when i disregard all credibility. You cannot be competitive before you exist.

jordanrichard | 17/05/2019

In all fairness, the Model Y should not be compared with anything because it doesn't exist yet. Yes, it is clearly closer to production than whatever Dyson or others are coming up with, but if we are to say "....well if you can't buy it yet, it doesn't exist", then that should be applied to the Model Y, the new Roadster, the Semi and the pick up truck..

andy.connor.e | 17/05/2019

@jordan

Correct.