Forums

Help me price my Model S for sale

Help me price my Model S for sale

Hey folks,

I need some help pricing my 2016 Model S for sale. The KBB site seems a bit high. I'm going to go for a private party sale (I've always done those) as opposed to a trade-in.

My car:
2016 Model S 75 (not D, just the 75) refreshed fascia
solid roof
Black Next Gen Leather Seats
Smart Air Suspension
Autopilot
Free Supercharging
Tinted Windows
Ceramic coated
Located in LA area (South Bay)

I was thinking about starting at 47.5K. Too much? It's all over the map when you look at things online.

Comments appreciated.

EVRider | 26/05/2019

Mileage and condition?

Al Cantara | 26/05/2019

Duh...stupid of me to omit those things.
28K miles.
Excellent condition.

Teslavie | 26/05/2019

Sounds about right. Leave room for negotiation.

mcmack15 | 27/05/2019

Please keep us posted as I am sure many besides myself are curious as just what the market is like. Al, what would you buy today, your car for the $47.5K, or a brand new long range 3 for around $50K (without the AP, etc.)? If it were me, I think I would go with the 3 (and maybe jump up to the Performance model (@ $60K). I think all of us with S's will find our re-sale efforts will be challenging because of the 3 (I have a S, and my wife has a 3---it is one heck of a car). Best of luck----I hope you are buying another Tesla.

jfemd.va.us | 27/05/2019

Check CarGurus, onlyusedtesla.com, maybe craigslist for similar vehicles. I am not getting much more than that for my P85DL (2014) with about 47,000 miles, also in very good to excellent condition. Good luck!

jfemd.va.us | 27/05/2019

And Tesla offered me about $15,000 less than what I am selling it for.

ST70 | 27/05/2019

@jfemd.va.us- did you sell it at $15K more than Tesla offered?

kickgas | 27/05/2019

I sold my 2016 90D with EAP for about $20K more than Tesla offered

Al Cantara | 27/05/2019

Thanks for the replies. I'm taking delivery of a Model X Long Range (Six Seater) shortly....hence the need to say goodbye to my Model S. I didn't even bother with the Tesla trade in. I can sell it myself. I'm in no rush.

I put an ad on Craigslist today...and in typical Craigslist fashion, you get the bottom feeder dealers that call up immediately and offer a super lowball offer and say "it's cash." Well, duh....everyone is paying cash (one way or another)....I'm not a damn bank. So that's been my day. lol!

kickgas | 28/05/2019

Try onlyusedtesla.com Had good results

mcmack15 | 28/05/2019

Al, you are getting my dream car.........best of luck with it and congratulations.

jfemd.va.us | 28/05/2019

@ST 70: tentatively, yes (this weekend). Placed an order for a new Model S LR-P-L or whatever they call it now ("Raven PL???). I have received multiple lowball offers from every listing site (bigger sites>>>more lowball/non-serious offers).

Al Cantara | 28/05/2019

In addition to the multiple lowball offers from bottom feeder dealers, I encountered a new thing today. A guy texts me about wanting to see the car (note: the scammers text. They wont call) and how he's gonna take the day off (like he's making a sacrifice...so he's so serious, right) and all I have to do is go to a website that he sends me via text so I can run a vehicle history report (it's not a site you've ever heard of). And of course it costs money to run those reports.

I googled it. It's a whole scam to get private parties to run worthless reports. On my own (a couple of days ago), I DID run a CarFax report. That's a well known name, so I figured that would be good to have. But if guys start asking you to run reports of some random site, then you know it's all fake.

sr.smr | 28/05/2019

Is there a web site for idiots that explains all the step-by-step precautions to take when selling a car privately. I know you can get as much as $15K extra, which is an attractive sum of money, but I worry that the prospective buyer will want to take it to a garage for inspection that puts it on a lift and damages the car, to driving my car recklessly, to giving me a worthless check. I presume you have to take off the registration sticker and plates. What about the bill of sale. You see where I am going!

Al Cantara | 29/05/2019

Here are some things i do when selling a car myself (I've sold many, never had an issue):
1. Use an alternate email address (I have one that I use for online shopping, etc. Not my "real" email
2. Use an alternate phone number (I use a google voice number - the number of spam calls you will receive on an online car listing are nuts)
3. Once you post your car online (Craigslist, TMC Forums, AutoTrader), you will immediately get a bunch of lowball offers from dealers. Ignore them.
4. When you get someone who is genuinely interested, meet them in a public place. Never at your home. If possible, bring someone else with you.
5. Ask to see their Driver's license. Take a picture of it. Offer the same to them. Show them that you are who you say you are.
6. Offer to show the title and registration
7. Go with them on a test drive. Nobody has ever done a wild test drive with me
8. If they want to buy your car, complete the transaction at THEIR bank. Get a cashier's check right there. The last two cars I've sold, we did everything at the bank. Stood with them while they got the cashier's check...then I signed over the title...and we're done
9. If they have to get financing or hem and haw about part personal check, part cash, part something else, then just stay firm: Cashier's Check. Period. Nothing else. No exceptions.
10. You can find sample Bill of Sale docs online. Also check your local DMV website for that and also what you need to do to report the sale to the DMV.

jonathanbush2001 | 29/05/2019

I have just about the same vehicle, but it's a 75D with a sunroof, no air suspension, AP1, 33K miles... ok, maybe its a little different. Looking to sell it for about 47K as well so I can purchase a new Model S LR. I know I should sell it privately, but UGH... what a pain. There must be an easier way!

Al Cantara | 29/05/2019

Sadly, there's not an easier way. It's our lot in life. Values have dropped....as they do with things like this. There's a shiny new toy out there (faster motors, more range, better AP), and the old school stuff we have doesn't command the premium it once did.

So...in my ongoing saga...I have a guy that's interested. We agreed a little lower than I wanted to go. But holy crap....some of the folks I'm chatting with. One dude today asked me about 0-60...and I told him it was 5.5...he's like "omg so slow"...and I'm like...dude...it's faster than the civic you're driving today. Buzz off. Same dude looked down his nose at AP1. You have to have a thick skin. If you're in a rush or desperate....they smell it.

nothotpocket | 30/05/2019

Thanks for keeping us posted. I don't think your price is very high, especially because you're willing to negotiate, but that price is pretty close to what Tesla's selling similar CPOs for with a four year warranty. But you live in a good area and I'm sure a buyer will come through in not too long.

sr.smr | 31/05/2019

Thanks Al Cantara, I've saved your great advice for future reference.

dbeisheim | 31/05/2019

Al, so what are you taking for it? I got a 2015 85D with 43k on it for 40K in excellent condition.It looks like it has everything except premium sound. I didn't like the model 3 interior compared to the S.

Al Cantara | 31/05/2019

Folks...it's sold. Less than what I wanted, but the transaction was quick. $46.5. All good. Picking up the Model X this afternoon. Cheers!

mcmack15 | 31/05/2019

CONGRATULATIONS! ON BOTH THE SALE AND PURCHASE. As I said above---you bought my dream car. I am very encouraged with the price you received---it is much higher than I expected, considering the prices of new 3's-----it gives me hope.

SoCal Buzz | 31/05/2019

Nicely done!

cfishkin01 | 31/05/2019

@Al, thanks for the write-up, very helpful. Glad you got close to your price.