Forums

Rear window broke

Rear window broke

Found my rear window broken yesterday. There were no sign of impact from outside. The glass is also protruding outwards(?)
There were no cracks on my rear window prior to this. It was just an awfully hot day and I parked my car outside for few hours. Has this happen to anyone?
I emailed Tesla customer service, but got no response. Bunch of shattered glass got inside the window panel. How could I get this replaced? I am in Orange County.
Any help is really appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/OUhKa29

Magic 8 Ball | 14/06/2019

Call TESLA service. Looks like the damage radiates out from a central impact point.

joonxbyun | 14/06/2019

I don't understand why it radiates outwards. Never hit it from the inside.

Magic 8 Ball | 14/06/2019

It is weird, I suspect you accidentally trapped a chupacabra in you car and he used his horn to try and get out.

82bert | 14/06/2019

Not sure how it got like that, but on the edges that radiate out, it definitely appears like something/someone was pulling/levering there.

No sentry???

jimglas | 14/06/2019

That happened to mine while driving. Mobile service replaced for under $200.
It is "protruding outward" because the glass pieces are being held together by the tinting plastic on the inside of the window. Without that, the window would be all tiny pieces.

TeslaTap.com | 14/06/2019

@joonxbyun - Have you looked at the dashcam video? Perhaps someone was attempting to pry the window out and it shattered? I could see a plastic tool jammed into the halfway point on either side causing this.

Also possible there was a defect in the glass, but no sure how you can identify that. More likely, your insurance will need to cover it.

Pepperidge | 14/06/2019

Tint film shrunk so it protruded outwards.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 14/06/2019

I think it bows outward due to upward pressure from the window closing mechanism being suddenly released when the window shattered. It probably pushed up another .5 inches when the pressure came off. I’m sure some enterprising engineer could use a hyperbolic sine function to figure out the amount of stored stress in a closed window.

jimglas | 14/06/2019

What Pepperidge said …..

joonxbyun | 14/06/2019

It happened at my workplace, and there's cameras everywhere. My sentry did not go off. I don't think anyone had long enough time to pry the window out. The window wasn't even fully broken to take anything inside. It really boggles my mind... I am not sure what caused it at all.

Lonestar10_1999 | 14/06/2019

If it turns out to be a material defect with the window, then it will be covered by the warranty.

jimglas | 14/06/2019

it appears that there was an impact point. Probably a rock, perhaps a B-B. All the cracks radiate from that point.
No "prying" involved. Simply a broken window.

joonxbyun | 14/06/2019

The earliest available service is like 2 weeks away from now. Is there a way to get this done any sooner? I cannot drive and park anywhere with the rear window broken. Called some aftermarket, and they said I have to get the part from Tesla.

jimglas | 14/06/2019

I scheduled an appt two weeks out (first available), then they called and scheduled a mobile repair for 48 hrs later (So called "Ranger"). It took him about 3 hours to replace the window and clean out door.

ICEMELT | 14/06/2019

+1 @Neo

joonxbyun | 14/06/2019

Thank you @jimglas

ICEMELT | 14/06/2019

I am guessing that window rolling up and down is based on previously remembered state and no feed back from actual rolling. Possible that the previous state got corrupted. I agree if you say mere speculation....

marym23 | 14/06/2019

Well I'm hoping for your sake that they have these windows in stock. My rear roof window developed a crack where the rear defroster wires connect. A known issue with the car. They've changed suppliers and that resolved the problem. However, that was the first of April and here we are today, and I still don't know when the window will be fixed. The crack is now completely across the entire back window heading up. They disconnected the defroster so that it wouldn't spread but it still did. They won't return emails, phone calls or texts. I was told 1 week and it's been 2-1/2 months. I assume this is due to the push to get as many cars out the door before quarter end. However, I'm getting to the end of my rope with Tesla. I love my car but I've had it with the way they conduct their business. They still owe me $1000 on my FSD. I've gotten a couple emails saying they were just finishing up the credit but to no avail. This dates back to March 1. Good Luck.

Joshan | 14/06/2019

I got my 1k credit 3 days ago. I ordered on March first and opened the claim like 3 day later. So they are coming, but very delayed.

I also recommend using chat, you can get immediate answers instead of waiting on emails.

marym23 | 14/06/2019

Thanks Joshan! I just talked to the service guy about the glass and he said that he'd send it over to the right person. I ordered on March first as well and opened the claim the following day as well. So maybe there is hope that they value their customers. I LOVE my car but hope that the company can figure out these issues.

Joshan | 14/06/2019

they di NOT tell me I got the refund. Make sure you manually check you credit card statements for the refund. My receipt on the owner area of the Tesla website still shows I paid $3k also, even though they refunded 1k of it.

marym23 | 14/06/2019

Great to know. It hasn't shown up on my statement but I will keep an eye on it. Thanks!

FISHEV | 14/06/2019

"I cannot drive and park anywhere with the rear window broken."

Just put some tape over it and drive it. See it all the time. Leave nothing inside for the opportunists. Worst thing is they cut the tape and find nothing in the car.

Looks like heat did it. See it more with windshields and rear windows vs. side windows which are smaller and not fixed in place.

tbd2001_01 | 14/06/2019

Did u have a large object in car against window?

joonxbyun | 14/06/2019

I did not have anything against the window.

WantMY | 14/06/2019

Tesla decision to use such a long piece of glass is a bit daring, considering it is unibody (allows more flexing, than rigid frame), but based on stats it is not as bad as it could have being. Consider yourself just a bit unlucky, hopefully it the replacement should hold.

FISHEV | 14/06/2019

It's really the side window, not the rear window that shattered.

Tesla should have PV glass for roof and use it to run HVAC in the car to keep cabin at least to ambient. Prius had this and it worked great. Thermo controlled so as car got warm, solar powered fan kicked in to ventilate to keep to ambient vs. 40 degrees more of non-ventilated car.

All automatic, saved energy, great feature.

WantMY is not a Tesla owner. He/She has no idea what they are talking about.

WantMY | 14/06/2019

@Neomaxizoomdweebie - based on your retarded logic, owners possess ultimate engineering knowledge in everything Tesla, EV and everything else about cars? You the same dumbo as the ones with BMW, Lexus, Cadillac, Toyota, Honda and etc. So the retard you are, indeed, lol

WantMY,
You didn’t look at the OP’s photo. It was not the “long piece of glass” you seem so concerned about. You just keep wanting that Model Y. Maybe one day they’ll actually be sold in Russia and you can rent one.

WantMY | 14/06/2019

@Neomaxizoomdweebie I glad you can rent it in North Korea, lol